Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 129999 times)

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1175 on: August 02, 2020, 12:10:08 am »
Rowing on the water has been back for several weeks. I have been out since October but decided to use the chance to get back into sculling.  I never got very far with it because of spending all my time in sweep crews. So I went back to the stable single. I’d been trying to decide when to get back into a fine boat but wasn’t sure if ready. When I arrived at the club on Wednesday I was told the novice coach would be down and could offer some coaching from the bank. She told me just to row and she’d give feedback. First thing she said was “you’re quite good, why are you in the stable single?”

So this morning I went out in a fine boat. I spent 5-10 minutes getting used to it with arms and body and then working up to full slide. I’m a little surprised how well it went if I’m honest and I did not scare myself. Even did a nice landing.

I think the break helped. It has allowed a bit of a reset particularly as someone who has always rowed bow side and spent most of the last 3 years in the same crew. And the coaching I got on Wednesday was better suited to my sculling experience level whereas when in a top crew in the club the coaching is focusing on fine tuning - my sculling is not needing fine tuning it’s about the basics at the moment. So maybe I’ll get competent before we lock down again.

« Reply #1176 on: August 02, 2020, 07:05:59 am »
I haven’t rowed for decades but despite mainly rowing in eights my best and worst memories are of sculling. The best was a Sunday morning with water like a mill pond and the sun rising and the river to myself. The worst was my one and only regatta in the single at Peterborough in about 2 foot high waves and a monster head wind.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1177 on: August 02, 2020, 11:41:14 am »
We raced at Peterborough in the four at Peterborough in 2018. Very windy and choppy but it was a tail wind on that day. Great fun - didn’t win anything but made a final in the 1000m. Could barely lift the boat out of the water at the end.

« Reply #1178 on: August 02, 2020, 11:54:56 am »
It was a head wind in 1987

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #1179 on: August 29, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »
I set up rowed biker so that Zwift thinks I'm on a treadmill when I use the rowing machine.
Awesome.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1180 on: August 29, 2020, 06:19:41 pm »
Out in the single today. I’d booked for two sessions for the first time.  Missed a couple of weeks due to tides life and weather. The rain has made the river faster and more swirly and I had a poor outing 1st session. Almost decided to can 2nd session but rowed much better, covered 12km which is a new PB for distance covered, and improved all round. 18km total. I was absolutely knackered and my glutes were burning by the finish.

Also I wasn’t the one who capsized. :smug:

« Reply #1181 on: September 01, 2020, 01:54:31 pm »

Also I wasn’t the one who capsized. :smug:

that would have been me, last week. Bit rusty..  (left blade got caught under a tree just down from First Post, quick swim to the towpath then back in the boat.  Luckily the river was really quiet and nobody saw :D )

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1182 on: September 01, 2020, 02:07:14 pm »
A towpath would be nice. Our river has really high sides pretty much everywhere and lots of overhanging trees and submerged hazards to catch you out. By the time I manage to do a full 10km circuit non-stop I'll be very good at steering. Josh's capsize was caused by hitting an underwater rock with his bow-side blade. At least it wasn't November like when he and Dave capsized the pair and ended up clinging to a tree and asking a passer by to phone the club for help.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1183 on: October 27, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »
Dull day at work today, so I resolved to have a go at a half-marathon.  I focused on a particular time, thinking my PB was out of reach, but when I went to log the time on the Concept 2 website, realised I had set a PB by 3.4 seconds.   :smug: :smug: :smug:
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1184 on: November 02, 2020, 10:44:44 pm »
Passed 900,000m for the year today.  The end is in sight.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1185 on: November 03, 2020, 02:41:22 pm »
that would have been me, last week. Bit rusty..  (left blade got caught under a tree just down from First Post, quick swim to the towpath then back in the boat.  Luckily the river was really quiet and nobody saw :D )

I haven't seen the incident report yet, Mike...  :P  Yes, I'm your Regional Rowing Safety Advisor.