Author Topic: Have I done permanent damage to my feet?  (Read 1521 times)

Have I done permanent damage to my feet?
« on: 18 September, 2009, 06:38:38 pm »
Since LEL the outer toes on both feet have been numb.  During the ride I didn't notice any problem (i.e. no hotfoot), although they were permanently wet for 4 days.  I only noticed the day after finishing.

Initially I thought the numbness would wear off over time, but it's been 6 weeks now and there is little, if any, improvement, and I've rested them completely with very little cycling.  I'd go to the doc but I'm a little embarrassed about self-inflicted injuries.
The sound of one pannier flapping

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Have I done permanent damage to my feet?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
Ah the joy of mild nerve damage...

...I had a similar situation after my first 600 and it took a few months to completely go away; however, I know some timeserved audaxers who still have numb body parts after various PBP excursions.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2009, 06:54:56 pm »
I still have 1 numb middle-toe. I'm not convinced it's related to hot-foot (which I do suffer from too).

(They all cleared up after PBP. Eventually.)

I should take up a sport with cool scars that chicks dig. What would Johnny Knoxville do on a bike?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2009, 07:19:23 pm »
A doctor friend did tell me the rate at which nerves grow back. It's not very fast (~1mm/day), and you are probably talking about months. The one I damaged touring in Holland and Germany still seems a bit fragile: I have numbish toes in the same place this week, after spending last week on the Pennine Way.

Weirdly the toe nerves each serve the inside of one toe and the outside of the next. 
Not especially helpful or mature

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2009, 08:50:29 pm »
A millimetre a day is what I've learned too so 75mm gives 10-11 weeks - roughly.
I don't think much can be done anyway though.

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2009, 08:56:54 pm »
Thanks all.  At least there's still some hope!

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »
A millimetre a day is what I've learned too so 75mm gives 10-11 weeks - roughly.
I don't think much can be done anyway though.

Nothing to do with the original problem, but when some nerves were regrowing in my scalp, I had a month or so where I could scratch myself in one place and feel it a couple of inches away.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »
I've decided that having full feeling in my midde toes is over-rated and not a particularly useful thing to have.

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:54:26 pm »
Well, some good news.  Feeling seems to be returning after 8 weeks.  Don't know whether this will be full recovery but HTFB and hellymedic seem to have been bang on with time required for nerve re-growth.   A big sigh of relief!

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2009, 10:42:16 pm »
It's leprosy.  Have yourself fitted with a bell ASAP, and count all extremities before you go to bed ;)