Author Topic: Ribble Audax/Winter Trainer (Horizontal Top Tube)  (Read 38431 times)

LEE

Re: Ribble Audax/Winter Trainer (Horizontal Top Tube)
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:21 pm »
And, while we're at it, here was my post on clearances from the Gallery thread...

Ribbles individual oddities aside, don't forget that front wheel clearance is due to the fork only, irrespective of the frame. Rear wheel clearance is due to the frame design and specifically the chain/seat stay lengths and brake bridge "height".

If those are Deda Black Rain carbon forks (I can't quite tell, but they look like it) then you won't get 28mm tyres in them with mudguards, not even with advanced Volio-esque zip-tie mudguard mounting techniques. 25mm+guards max.

Chainstay length looks ok, more than enough space between mudguard and seat tube for another 3mm of tyre. Can't tell about the clearance at the brake bridge from those photos but I'm guessing that's where the problem lies.

And looking at the Ribble site I see they are "Blackstorm winter forks" which look nigh on identical to the Deda BlackRain forks that Condor put on their bikes. They're even selling them for exactly the same amount.

The horizontal tube frame gets "Blackstorm" forks whilst Compact frame gets "Black Rain" forks (and hence some extra clearance I expect).

They were/are sold out of the Compact frame & Forks (and it was even more of a bargain at £110) but I prefer the look (and colour) of the horizontal top tube version.

I'm getting a Condor which will take care of any 28mm requirements.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 01:54:13 pm »
The horizontal tube frame gets "Blackstorm" forks whilst Compact frame gets "Black Rain" forks (and hence some extra clearance I expect).

Yep, designed for deep drops

(and it was even more of a bargain at £110)

Indeed it was  8)

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 01:59:25 pm »

The compact used to come with ITM 4 ever audax winter.  Have ribble changed the spec?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=ITALFORW325
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 02:03:46 pm »
Have ribble changed the spec?

Yes, click on the link for "frames audax / winter".

"
Horizontal Top Tube.
Free carbon BlackStorm Winter Forks with every frame purchase.
"

The page for the sloping top tube version says:

"
This frame is currently available with Free Deda Black Rain forks.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:14 am »
Mine with lots of new bits bolted on ...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »
Jings, Od, that's shooge!
I've just been out on mine - not quite as big as yours...

I've found mine gives a much smoother ride with Michelin Krylions in the 700x25
flavour. The saddle is temporary: getting used to it before it goes on my new Kyota.

Like your bar tape btw.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:45 pm »
^^^ I am hoping the bar tape works out to be super comfy.  It is fizik bought from Wiggle with their gel pads underneath.  I have never taped bars before and was pleased with the result.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 07:25:04 pm »
^^^ I am hoping the bar tape works out to be super comfy.  It is fizik bought from Wiggle with their gel pads underneath.  I have never taped bars before and was pleased with the result.

Very pimpy!  ;D  Look forward to seeing it on Wednesday, assuming work and the M25 don't ruin your plans.

Has it had a shakedown yet since the fettlefest?  Will I need to watch for bits falling off? ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:04 pm »

Very pimpy!  ;D  Look forward to seeing it on Wednesday, assuming work and the M25 don't ruin your plans.

Has it had a shakedown yet since the fettlefest?  Will I need to watch for bits falling off? ;)

No shakedown, bring a dustpan and brush!

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 09:35:08 am »
Just in case any latecomers get confused. . .

Ribble make *TWO* completely different 'winter/audax' frames.

One has a horizontal top tube (which is the one talked about here).

The other has a sloping top tube.

The sloping top tube has much bigger clearances (fits 28mm + mudguards) and comes in black.

This is the sloping top tube version. The rear tyre is a 28mm which fits comfortably.

How did you get the decals off ,I was toying with using a hair dryer on mine but concerned about pulling the paint off with then as it seems a bit on the thin side.

LEE

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 09:17:06 am »
380 miles done including a 200km hilly Audax yesterday.

Verdict: 9/10.

There is some toe-overlap which I've never had on any bike before but it's never been a problem, just something I noticed.

The forks obviously do a good job at removing road buzz but you can receive a jolt in deep pot-holes, more so than on my long wheelbase, steel, tourers.  I imagine this is no surprise to anyone.
The plus-side of this though is how rewarding it is to climb out of the saddle.  I was clearly wasting energy before as the Ribble seems to maximise any effort into forward motion up the hills.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending one for a quick, general purpose, road bike.  It's fine for all day riding and probably quick enough for entry-level club riding.  (it is advertised as an Audax and Winter Trainer I suppose).

I'll revisit the review next year sometime and give a longer-term review.

Feel free to use thread to post own reviews of same bike/frame

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »
+1 on the 9/10 and I'd agree wholeheartedly on its suitability as a GP commuting bike.  My black Dribble will tick past the 12,000 mile mark some time this week and is used for more or less nothing else.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:47 pm »
onb, how is your pump attached there ?

LEE

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

Not sure how onb does it but my Zefal HPX wedges in perfectly under top-tube.

Just buy correct length Zefal.

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 05:24:40 pm »

Be careful though...

My Zefal HPX wedged in perfectly under the top tube of my Tempo, quite a bit of force required to get it in/out.

Until I hit a big enough pothole that it bounced out, at 50kph on a descent, and almost went into the back wheel.

I then fitted Zefal Doodads.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:34 pm »

My size 4 Zefal HPX  isn't a good fit under my top tube, it slides down the headtube

Blah

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:12 am »
My size 4 Zefal HPX  isn't a good fit under my top tube, it slides down the headtube

I solved that issue on another bike by wrapping a zip tie around the headtube twice, then cutting it off and using the protrusion thingy as a pump peg.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 09:24:17 am »
I'd happily give mine 10/10 which infers it is the perfect bike which of course no bike is.  The draw backs are thin paint and lack of clearance to comfortably take tyres bigger than 23c.

My maximum score is based on what it does for me, it's looks and price.  For the price I don't think you'll find a nicer looking bike and it exceeds my performance expectations.  It's a long time since I rode a steel bike and I'm sure a titanium frame would be wonderful but both would require a bigger investment than I am prepared to make.

The fact that this is the first bike I have built (twice now!) and I have learnt so much also endears me to the bike.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 04:38:52 pm »
Just in case any latecomers get confused. . .

Ribble make *TWO* completely different 'winter/audax' frames.

One has a horizontal top tube (which is the one talked about here).

The other has a sloping top tube.

The sloping top tube has much bigger clearances (fits 28mm + mudguards) and comes in black.

This is the sloping top tube version. The rear tyre is a 28mm which fits comfortably.

How did you get the decals off ,I was toying with using a hair dryer on mine but concerned about pulling the paint off with then as it seems a bit on the thin side.

My Decals just peeled off, paint stayed on ok but paint under decals is a slightly different shade.

alan

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »

Zefal sell zip tie thingys with a horizontal nib  to fit any length pump.I have them on the top tube of the Longstaff.

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 10:52:16 pm »
I have one of those doodads but don't like it. My 20 year old Zefal competition fits in the down tube nicely but not sure how good this pump is, so I may buy a shorter HPX (which will fit in the down tube of my Peugeot too)

My Dolan is a commuting bike as is my Peugeot now, though I use my Dolan for everything in the winter. Usually then I just carry my Blackburn airstik in my bag, like I did today.

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 08:24:00 am »
I have a couple of short colour coded velco straps from B&Q - hold pump firmly under top tube, look better (IMO) than jury rigged cable ties and are reusable. 

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 04:05:24 pm »
Well its done ,better wheels needed which I hope I have resolved ,just needs a bit more adjusting around the bar ends and saddle.

Blah

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 09:50:05 pm »

I just picked them off with my finger nails.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »
Our bike now has it's own Facebook group if you're into Facebook (as I am I'm ashamed to say)

I gather the group was not set up by Ribble themselves.