Author Topic: Ribble Audax/Winter Trainer (Horizontal Top Tube)  (Read 39887 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Ribble Audax/Winter Trainer (Horizontal Top Tube)
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:06 pm »
Paul,

what do the bars feel like and did you find a stem to fit the 26" tube or did you get a shim?

thanks

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:46 am »
My much loved and well ridden Ribble has moved on.  This is what Son of Oscar looks like now ...

The differences are he now has Harry Rowland hand-built wheels with a Shimano DH-3N80 hub dynamo connected to B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo T senso plus 60 lux headlight.  SoO is currently filth dirty as he is being ridden round the potholed and scrog laden East Anglian lanes.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »
Just got one of these on Monday, via the 'C2W' scheme

It replaces a 19 year old Dyna-Tech 755Ti that had been downgraded to commuter/winter/training bike (that happened when I bought my Ridley about 3 years ago)

It came with;
 - Tiagra groupset
 - 172.5mm cranks
 - 50/34 chain-rings (first time on a compact, have ridden 52/39 since 1991)
 - 11-25 cassette
 - SPDs (MTB type, well it is a commuter, & they make far more sense that Look pattern!)

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?19682-New-Bike

Only downsides so far; -
 - don't like the standard saddle (Selle-Italia 'X1'), have taken the (bought new for the Dyna-Tech) 'Flite' off the Ridley & fitted it. Much, much better!!!
 - can't fit the (ordered) panner-rack, as it interferes with the hooded (Ritchey style) drop-outs & the near-side upper mount clashes with the brake.

Any ideas on mouning the rack (I know I can space it out at the drop-outs, as it won't be heavily laden)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:10 pm »
if it's only going to be lightly loaded, space it at the dropouts and just use one of the top mounts (alternatively get one of those seat clamps with rack mounts on it and use those to miss the brake).

(Depending what the rack is, you could also apply a bend to the top mount as I elieve OD's bike above has although it's not obvious from the picture)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2013, 11:34:18 pm »
if it's only going to be lightly loaded, space it at the dropouts and just use one of the top mounts (alternatively get one of those seat clamps with rack mounts on it and use those to miss the brake).

(Depending what the rack is, you could also apply a bend to the top mount as I elieve OD's bike above has although it's not obvious from the picture)

Yes, I bent a curve into the left-hand mount so it goes round the brake.  And in order to make it fit the mount is only attached to the rack with one bolt. Buts it's fine. If you'd like me to post a photo just shout.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2013, 03:17:51 pm »
Yes, I bent a curve into the left-hand mount so it goes round the brake.  And in order to make it fit the mount is only attached to the rack with one bolt. Buts it's fine. If you'd like me to post a photo just shout.

Yes please!!, & one of your drop-out arrangement

I need to decide, as it's in a box, along with the saddle awaiting posting on Monday

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2013, 06:23:51 am »

Yes please!!, & one of your drop-out arrangement

I need to decide, as it's in a box, along with the saddle awaiting posting on Monday

Happy to help.

I didn't have a problem with the drop-outs.  On my frame there's just one eyelet which I used for the mudguard stays and rack leg (my rack is a Topeak Super Tourist DX) ...

Left hand mount ...

Enjoy your new bike.  Mine is my only road bike and has proved to be an excellent bit of kit and a comfortable Audax companion on distances of up to 600km so far

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 08:41:03 am »
Thanks for that

My (ordered, & now being returned) rack was an alloy one, so the mounts were bigger - thus fouling the drop-out
The upper mounts were solid (round) alloy, so a bit awkward to bend into the correct place.

Will look in 'LBS' at racks, so I can actually try them, or maybe ride up to Spa Cycles in Starbeck (Harrogate) on a day-off.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 08:45:19 am »
Ah, I see your problem.  Have a look at the Topeak rack, all my bikes have one as I have a Topeak rack top bag that slides in the rails on the rack.  It's a good bit of kit in my view and fits the bike very well.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »
Ah, I see your problem.  Have a look at the Topeak rack, all my bikes have one as I have a Topeak rack top bag that slides in the rails on the rack.  It's a good bit of kit in my view and fits the bike very well.

Okay, will do. Thanks
(having already got panner-bags)

The one I've returned this AM was; http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/pannier-racks-tortec-tour-ultralite-rear-pannier-rack/tortrack200

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »

Okay, will do. Thanks
(having already got panner-bags)

The one I've returned this AM was; http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/pannier-racks-tortec-tour-ultralite-rear-pannier-rack/tortrack200

Assuming you can sort out issues down by the drop outs this might help with the upper mounts.  Those Tortec racks are very nice and probably lighter that the Topeak.  Huggy of this parish and a mid-Essex riding chum has one on his Claud Butler.

Note to self:  It is sinful to covet another man's donkey rack.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »
Or something like these Tubus rack extensions might help: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-rear-rack-extension/
Either at the top or bottom of the rack. They are designed for attaching to the dropouts, but I am using them at the top, to get the rack stays above my rear V-brake.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »
Assuming you can sort out issues down by the drop outs this might help with the upper mounts.  Those Tortec racks are very nice and probably lighter that the Topeak.

II've already looked at those, after being told about them by a club-mate I work with, & Spa Cycles appear to have them in stock

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »
And now  thinking about one- but I ve  just seen the Decathlon 520

Full  Sora groupset and proper clearacnce  for 28mm tyres and mudguards...

All for £450.....

Any thoughts..

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 05:59:17 am »
There was a "review" of the 520 on road.cc

http://road.cc/content/news/154182-just-btwin-triban-520

It seems to have pretty much everything my 2006 Dribble has with the benefit of better clearance for fatter tyres.  If I was in the market for a new bike the 520 would merit serious consideration if only because of that. The frame is 6061 grade Al rather than 7005, but I can't imagine that mere mortals such as us would be able to notice any difference.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2015, 06:08:36 am »
And now  thinking about one- but I ve  just seen the Decathlon 520

Full  Sora groupset and proper clearacnce  for 28mm tyres and mudguards...

All for £450.....

Any thoughts..

Buy it! 

I've had my Ribble since 2009 and love it; we've done many a mile together. The only thing that lets it down is the fact that you can only run 23mm tyres and mudguards.

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Hovering at the moment,  I have most of the  required parts.   

Not sure about the 54 or  52 but need to get moving as it's a 10% off weekend.

Oscar's parent- I believe  we did a overnight ride to Brighton some years ago. You were on a tandem ..

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2015, 11:27:19 am »
Oscar's parent- I believe  we did a overnight ride to Brighton some years ago. You were on a tandem ..

Blimey, that was a while back! 

TheLurker

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
Well it seems that the 520 is good enough to race...

http://road.cc/content/blog/154721-can-you-race-450-bike

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2015, 09:41:38 am »
Still  thinking;  if  Ribble were nearer, I am in  London,   then I  pop in and try a 54 over a 52.  I need a low saddle  so the C- C  of the seat  tube  can be a problem... The sloping top tube  of the  Triban  deals  with that

I have the parts - but  can't quite  face a build just now..  However, the steel Ribble  would be just right...

An excellent article , btw, much of it uncomfortably true...

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2015, 10:04:26 pm »
Saw the 520

It's rather ugly....

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 05:39:56 pm »
Saw the 520

It's rather ugly....
Not too bad...

apparently does 28mm+guards, even 32mm tyres without guards.
edit: http://road.cc/content/review/156193-btwin-triban-520

"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

TheLurker

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2015, 08:53:48 pm »
"Full" review of the 520 now on road.cc

Doesn't say much more than was said in the previous two articles.  Comes away with a 9/10 tho'.

TheLurker

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »
Excuse the minor thread hi-jack.

Was in the Ox. Decathlon today and tried the medium 520 for size.  Very impressed.  Think it fits me better than my Dribble.  As far as looks go I liked it, but that's an, "eye of the beholder" thing.  I'd lose the red bar tape PDQ but that's about it.   Seems like a very well put together bit of kit and I was _sorely_ tempted to buy it.  Only the calming presence of MrsLurker stopped me demanding a test ride. :)

If you are buying in store rather than by (electronic) mail-order check the paint for scratches. The one I looked at had a nasty gouge up near the head tube.

PS.  They're knocking the 540 out with Aksiums and Shimano 105 for 600 of your English pounds.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:07 am »
Was in the Ox. Decathlon today and tried the medium 520 for size.  Very impressed.
<...>

i agree, checked one out the other day and can't really fault it for the price (even with the custom powdercoat added as an extra)