Author Topic: Pilates  (Read 4010 times)

Pilates
« on: 08 October, 2009, 03:49:03 pm »
I've just been for a BUPA wellbeing checkup - paid for by work as a healthcare perk.

I managed to go off the scale on their spirometer (they had to extrapolate my results as the pen went off the paper - apparently the best result the doc had ever seen  :thumbsup: )

The main recommendation (which I'd been thinking about anyway) is to try Pilates to build core strength. There is no injury or big problem to trigger this, just that increased core strength is generally a good thing in life and for cycling. I also think the doc was having trouble finding things to put on the recommendations page - there was only this and a minor skin thing for my GP to look at.

So, how do I choose a Pilates class?

A two minute google brings up a couple of local ones to me (RG27 area - between Basingstoke and Camberley), but I'm sure there are many more.

Bespoke Pilates Studio   seems a bit of a flash setup
Susan Pilates   is a lady hiring a church hall

What should I be looking for? Any tips on choosing?

Edit: just noticed our local Fitness First gym does a pilates class - which with corporate membership gives a gym too for a bit less than Bespoke Pilates - but is a gym Pilates as good? I know almost nothing about this!

LEE

Re: Pilates
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
There's a version of it popular in Jamaica, Domican Republic and the nearby Bahamas.

I forget the name of it but I'm sure someone will think of it.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »
Begins with V?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:03:14 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »
There's a version of it popular in Jamaica, Domican Republic and the nearby Bahamas.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:14:01 pm »

Pilates Classes

I have been to these classes and they are very good. (I damaged a shoulder elsewhere and dropped out)

Look for smallish groups for more attention to posture, a range of kit - mats, balls, benches etc to make classes less boring, oh and mirrors to watch yourself!. John also has downloads of routines to buy for use at home or office.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:14:43 pm »

;D

I knew it wouldn't take long

« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »

;D

I knew it wouldn't take long
;D  Very good!

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2009, 07:02:46 pm »

Pilates Classes

I have been to these classes and they are very good. (I damaged a shoulder elsewhere and dropped out)

Look for smallish groups for more attention to posture, a range of kit - mats, balls, benches etc to make classes less boring, oh and mirrors to watch yourself!. John also has downloads of routines to buy for use at home or office.

Unfortunately he's a bit far from me (though maybe I could wrap pilates into a DIY audax...)

Good point about the class size. That's probably a good reason for going for the Bespoke Pilates lot locally - I can image 30 minute gym sessions will be fairly crowded and not as good to get started with as a dedicated beginners class with a maximum of 9 attendees.

The Mechanic

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:58:16 am »
I do pilates one a week for the past 18 months.  It has certainly made a difference to my core strenght.  It is important though to get a reputable teacher as I have heard that some classes at commer cial gyms are not good.  Getting the exercise right is paramount.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:15:17 am »
My local sports centre offered beginners classes. Just 5 in the one I did (two new mums, somebody recovering from a car crash (whiplash), one bad back (me) and a 18 yr old nymphette.... a night out with the lads it wasn't!).  Anyways a beginners class is the way to go a its as way of learning the basic principles & moves before joining larger clases where inevitably you will not get individual attention.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:48:03 am »
I'd agree with this.I've been lucky enough to join a class locally with only about 8-10 people at a physio centre where all the classes are run by people who are physio's as well as Pilates instructors.I've been going for about two months now and it's certainly made a good improvement to an old back injury and just general flexibility/core strength/posture etc. :thumbsup:

I did go to another much bigger class before this but the standard of instruction was quite poor so I would recomend having a look round and maybe trying more than one different class if possible to find one you're happy with.

My local sports centre offered beginners classes. Just 5 in the one I did (two new mums, somebody recovering from a car crash (whiplash), one bad back (me) and a 18 yr old nymphette.... a night out with the lads it wasn't!).  Anyways a beginners class is the way to go a its as way of learning the basic principles & moves before joining larger clases where inevitably you will not get individual attention.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:49:16 am »
I'm not suggesting for a moment that Pilates isn't a good thing, I have no experience of it. I have however just this week been to a physio because I have been getting back ache. As I suspected, he suggested that my core strength might be improved. He rated at between moderate and good but in need of attention. He gave me a series of exercises to do which are very simple and don't involve any equipment. What staggered me and the point of this post is that when I asked him how often I should do them he said, "four times a day, seven days a week". The thing about any class such as Pilates is that most people go once or maybe twice a week so if you don't do the exercises regularly at home then you won't get the benefits very quickly.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
I quite agree. The classes are really only the tip of the iceberg and a way to learn the different exercises hopefully developing correct technique so that you can use these at least daily to become part of life's routine to keep healthy and strong.
I guess the ultimate aim being to develop the best biomechanical movement of yourself throughout all your daily processes including cycling thereby eliminating injuries and minimising wear and tear so that we'll still be young and springy in all that we do even at 120 years of age.8)  (here's hoping it works!)

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Pilates isn't a good thing, I have no experience of it. I have however just this week been to a physio because I have been getting back ache. As I suspected, he suggested that my core strength might be improved. He rated at between moderate and good but in need of attention. He gave me a series of exercises to do which are very simple and don't involve any equipment. What staggered me and the point of this post is that when I asked him how often I should do them he said, "four times a day, seven days a week". The thing about any class such as Pilates is that most people go once or maybe twice a week so if you don't do the exercises regularly at home then you won't get the benefits very quickly.

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2009, 02:57:02 pm »
when I asked him how often I should do them he said, "four times a day, seven days a week". The thing about any class such as Pilates is that most people go once or maybe twice a week so if you don't do the exercises regularly at home then you won't get the benefits very quickly.

I was similarly advised, when I was getting scared of using my back for fear of it going wrong - "do these for five minutes, every evening, every morning." Eighteen years have gone by under this regime and it has worked well.

« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2023, 12:12:19 pm »

Hey LEE - maybe you are thinking of deleted word?

Very good to do in combo with Pilates as well. Pilates focuses on strengthening the core muscles, while deleted word target the deep abdominal muscles, providing a more comprehensive workout for the torso. I can recommend a deleted link - although this is more focussed for women's pelvic floor rehabilitation.

LEE isn't here anymore and your link has been deleted. MOD

You probably will be too...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2023, 07:35:49 am »
LEE is very much still here, just not in this thread  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.