Author Topic: Safety Razors.  (Read 36415 times)

Safety Razors.
« on: 15 October, 2009, 03:13:49 pm »
I'm fed up with paying a pound a go for razor blades just to line the pockets of Tiger and co, so I've decided to go a bit retro.

I'm just about to have my first shave with my new Merkur safety razor.  

Wish me luck, and someone please stand by with the tissues and styptic pencil...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Safety Razors.
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:14:58 pm »
Merker razors are great.  They take a bit of getting used to (don't press too hard) but, by 'eck, they give a good shave.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »
"I've just come back from the future. You wouldn't believe how many blades razors have."

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:33:42 pm »
I'm fed up with paying a pound a go for razor blades just to line the pockets of Tiger and co, so I've decided to go a bit retro.

I'm just about to have my first shave with my new Merkur safety razor.  

Wish me luck, and someone please stand by with the tissues and styptic pencil...

Back, sack and crack?

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:40:29 pm »
I'm a Merkur man myself as well. I have a Merkur HD. You can get good blades really cheap off eBay. I like Derby Extra blades £10 for 100 from eBay. Sure beats £5.00 for 4 multiblade monstrosities.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:50:13 pm »
Sure beats £5.00 for 4 multiblade monstrosities.

I couldn't bring myself to buy Gillette razors, the advertising is just too offensive.

A good badger brush, proper shave soap and a disposable Bic. Job, jobbed.

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:55:14 pm »
We better make sure Nutty doesn't see this thread.

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:05:50 pm »
Well that was painless, if time-consuming!  

I followed the sage advice of having a nice hot shower first, then I made up loads of lather with Real Shaving Company shaving soap and hot water in a mug, slapping it liberally on the fizzer and slopping it about.  Then I reached for the razor..

The Merkur is a heavy lump in the hand - a real culture shock after the weightlessness of a Gillette multiblade thing.  I started at the sideburns and followed Regulator's advice to not press too hard.  I actually found that I didn't need to press at all - the blade is so sharp, and the razor so heavy, that you just let it get on with it.  

The sides and cheeks were easy peasy - under the chin proved a bit trickier and I was convinced the razor wanted to chop my adam's apple clean off, but all went well with a bit of care and patience.  Upper lip was tricky, but not overly so, and once I'd sussed that stretching the skin with the free hand makes it all a lot easier then it became, well, a lot easier.

To finish off, I lathered up again and ran over the low-risk areas with up-strokes.  My chin and cheeks are now as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I have one small nick on the adam's apple, but I had a previous shaving bump there anyway.  Overall the finish is a lot better, with fewer red spotty bits.

I've now orderered a Badger brush too - they seem to be the thing to have, and I will have to order some blades as the razor only came with one.  Those Derby ones look an incredible deal, although I've read that Feather blades are sharper.  I suppose that's a double-edged sword, as it were.

Good stuff though, this is the only way to shave, but I can see me becoming an evening shaver now, as I don't think this could be rushed..

« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:13:45 pm »
You get faster after a while. Blades are a personal choice. Some people like them as sharp as is possible and even change blades mid shave (but they are a bit mad). For me it's a trade off between being sharp enough and not so deadly I lacerate myself too easily. The Merkur ones I didn't find sharp enough and the Derby ones are a good compromise (and cheap). Consistency is another thing as some blades apparently vary quite a lot from blade to blade even in the same pack.
Other blades I have tried are Wilkinsons Sword which are OK (at least as good as Merkur) and available from most supermarkets so make a great standby and Tesco own brand. The Tesco ones are ace but as they are own brand they could change them at any time to a different manufacturer without you being able to tell and then they might not be so good.
There is an Internet shop in the UK that does a variety pack of blades so you can try them out but I can't remember who it is. Personally I am happy with the Derbys at present and have at l;east another 6 months supply. I do hanker after a Merkur travel razor though for my wash bag for when I am on trips.

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:14:26 pm »
I've been using a proper razor since I first shaved. Still got the one my mother gave me when I was a teenager, & still use it. It's not so time-consuming, once you've had a bit of practice.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2009, 05:02:31 pm »
I used to use a proper bladed safety razor but once ended up using a Tesco Value disposable jobbie (cost: about 5p). It was fine and I've been using Tesco's cheapest ever since; the blades last forever and it's diminutive nature makes it easy to use.

My other recommendation is to forget shaving gels and so on and use a shaving oil instead. Very natural if you're into that sort of thing and a blissfully smooth shave with almost enough astringency to make aftershave optional.

« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:21:10 pm »
What's it like for the legs?

« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:30:41 pm »
We better make sure Nutty doesn't see this thread.

Too late  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:31:58 pm »
I am very tempted to go for one of these. My dad uses electric as he doesnt really like to stand around and spend a while shaving, so me and my brothers all have electric ones.
One brother has a Gilet thing, but i dont fancy one of those.
My electric shaver can sometimes give me a rash, or make one side of my neck abit sore, and i do normally miss bits, even when i actually do stand around and look in the mirror, instead of sitting by the computer or do it as im getting ready in the morning.
Those Merkur's are nice but they are a tad expensive for me!

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:41:49 pm »
Similar to 1gear - I find electric can drag sometimes and I had an old Gillette I bought blades for.

Recently I thought I'd try that fusion thingy instead of buying new blades for the old one.  I was pretty amazed tbh.  It just worked and there was a lot less blood than usual.

I heard today that Asda have slashed* their prices on these blades.

* pun intended - it's late and I want to leave work.

« Reply #15 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:47:32 pm »
Those Merkur's are nice but they are a tad expensive for me!
Not expensive in the long run. £25 for a Merkur and then 100 blades for £10 = £35
Multiblade thing = £5 and 100 blades would be about £125 = £130

So Merkur (or any other safety razor) is a lot cheaper. Pay back time for me would be about a year as I change blades about every three days or so.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »
"I've just come back from the future. You wouldn't believe how many blades razors have."

Also has 25kW motor and 144 megapixels, innit?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

gonzo

« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:17:02 pm »
Anything can be improved by fitting an LCD screen!

« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:20:58 pm »

Indeed.

As I said to Mrs Nutty earlier, "this is the best thing since sliced bread with built in LCD screen".

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #19 on: 18 October, 2009, 07:48:00 pm »
I love the shave that I get from my Gillette Fusion Stealth and the blades last for aaaaages - so long in fact, that every time I have to buy more, I have forgotten how expensive they are and get a nasty shock.

How do the life spans compare between the Fusion blades and the Merkur blades? I currently get about 5-6 weeks out of one Fusion head.

I have always fancied a proper razor and one of those looks good.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 18 October, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
Good grief! We'll have a thread about golf clubs next... ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 18 October, 2009, 08:36:42 pm »

Better a fibre-optic lens, connected to a camera an wireless transmitter in the handle. Close up picture is beamed to an LCD monitor in your shaving mirror.

spen666

« Reply #22 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:07:14 pm »
Good grief! We'll have a thread about golf clubs next... ::-)

but only the clubs with an LCD screen and a 25kw motor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:19:43 am »
I love the shave that I get from my Gillette Fusion Stealth and the blades last for aaaaages - so long in fact, that every time I have to buy more, I have forgotten how expensive they are and get a nasty shock.

How do the life spans compare between the Fusion blades and the Merkur blades? I currently get about 5-6 weeks out of one Fusion head.

I have always fancied a proper razor and one of those looks good.

Yeah - but you only have bumfluff rather than a beard.

If you had a tough beard like mine you'd find he heads last little more than a week.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 19 October, 2009, 11:22:34 am »
Inspired by this thread I ordered a Merkur razor from one of Amazon's resellers.  As usual I asked for it to be delivered to my office.

I've just had an email confirming that my order is in the post,  from "The Naked Man Shop"!!......  I do hope the packaging is discreet....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark