Author Topic: I am an angry cyclist...  (Read 7156 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I am an angry cyclist...
« on: 09 May, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
Warning, this post contains yet another rant...

Out on a ride last night I did a nice route through the Hampshire countryside, and the last bit was all on cyclepaths (due to the traffic being suicidal and me being a bit worn out).  In the space of 1 mile I nearly ran down 3 peds, in the following order:
1) The first bit of cp passes some houses, with the residents parking alongside the cp.  About halfway along 2 guys were working on their car, as I approached one of them stood in the cyclepath staring gormlessly at his mate.  I had cars on my right, a high kerb on my left so nowhere to go apart from staright on down the cp.  As I approached I looked up and intoned "Excuse Me", no repsonse so a few seconds later I SHOUTED "EXCUSE ME" at which I got a incredulous look and he finally decided he should be on the footpath, not stood in a cyclepath.
2) Second, just around the corner from the first incident, I am riding along the path, ped in front ON THE CYCLEPATH (bearing in mind here the cp is as wide as the fp and there is no-one else using either path). I shouted "bike", again no response so a few seconds later I shouted "BIKE" again, to which she looked around and decided she would move a small amount sideways to let me past.  As I passed I shouted "That's the f****** footpath, use it" and pointed at the fp.
3) Thirdly, nearly back at the digs a ped actually stepped off the fp onto the cp as I was only 10yds from him, so I only had time to shout one "Bike", which made him jump.  To his credit he did apologise.

So my question is, why oh why have I become such a snotty cyclist?  I didn't used to be like this... :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: I am an angry cyclist...
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:49:51 am »
Peds have right of way on psyclepaths, but you probably knew that.  It's one of the problems with them.

Now, do you ever wonder why people hate cyclists? ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:53:17 am »
Whoa!  Bad karma, man! </Neil>

Perhaps you need to read your sig line a few times before you mount up ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:06:32 am »
It is very annoying, but sadly there's not much to be done.  In my opinion, the smooth surface and pretty colours of a cycle lane attract pedestrians in the same way flowers attract bees. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:10:58 am »
There are a lot of utterly ignorant people around.  Sometimes they are in cars or vans or on bikes, but sometimes they are wandering about in a dither....
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:47:13 am »
It is the heat.

It makes people cross and it addles their brains. They were probably dehydrated.

PS I shouted "FUCK OFF!!"at a car that tooted me and my lad yesterday, so I don't think you are alone!
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:58:05 am »
Bollocks.  Tiermat was just having a rude-arse day. 

"Bike!" winds me up though.  What makes bikes so special?  "Coming through!" works a lot better.  Carries with it a nice threat of impact. 

Be calm and mellow and the blithering obstacles turn into happy people sharing the outdoors.  It's all in the perception.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pete

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:01:22 am »
To me, 'excuse me', said in a normal tone of voice, the sort of voice you'd use when walking past someone in a doorway, say, not a shout, that's what does it.  And slow down!  Walking pace, if necessary.  Cycle paths, cycle lanes, they're not designed for speed, as everyone knows...

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:32:02 am »
On the continent they're very fond of bells, which seem to work quite well. My Brompton came with a little dinnger on the gear shifter casing, and I'm thinking of getting something similar for my touring bike.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:44:34 am »
What's to be done with these cyclepath peds, eh?  Arrest them?  Give them a ticket?

If a cyclepath runs outside someone's house and they're out there, working on their car, I think it's fair to assume that they may end up standing in the cyclepath.  Yeah, they probably wouldn't stand in the road in the same way, but they don't perceive the danger of standing in the cyclepath to be the same.

The only way to avoid conflicts with peds on cyclepaths is not to use cyclepaths.

I think we have to accept that as cyclists, this is the least of our problems.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:57:52 am »
It's the decreasing tolerance that's the problem (and I know I've been guilty of this in the past).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:01:32 am »
sorry, but in this case this behaviour is no better than car drivers who shout at us for not being on the cycle path. It's up to us to slow down as much as is necessary to pass them safely.

Wibble

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:02:00 am »
Crikey, you need to relax.   Try to approach and pass peds at near walking pace and make a conscious effort to be polite.

On the bright side it seems you're already aware that you're acting like those tossers in cars  ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:10:24 am »
To get to my old job, I used to cycle through the Meadows which is part of a National Cycle Route, and has a clearly marked cyclepath - big white bikes painted on it - adjacent to the footpath. Pedestrians wander all over the cyclepath, sunbathe on it, allow their kids to have screaming tantrums on it, walk towards you, see you coming and act as if you've just buggered their grandmother with a chainsaw when you politely suggest they might like to relocate to the footpath.

The canal path was also part of my commute - also part of a National Cycle Route, no separate cycle path, shared use all the way with speedbumps (which they're digging up again just now, having made such a mess of putting them in), chicanes and 6mph signs. It's a much narrower path than either the cycle path or the footpath in the Meadows, yet conflicts occur less often, in my experience. Occasionally there are the people with dogs on a long lead, people who don't hear the bell and then complain you didn't ring it and the like, but on the whole, it's not too bad.

And now my commute involves the Innocent path, part of a NCR, no divisions, no chicanes, no markings, no speedbumps, shared use - admittedly quieter than the Meadows and the canal path, but the only problem I've had is a couple cycling side by side who were reluctant to drop into single file to let me past them going the other way - but I suspect they're the people who won't let go when they're holding hands in the street either, forcing everyone else to walk in the gutter. People hear you when you ring your bell, they get their dogs to sit out of the way when you go past, cyclists are friendlier, everyone's more patient, and it's a pleasure. I went to a meeting yesterday via the Meadows and the canal path and was really struck by the difference between the routes - the Innocent is calm and patient, the Meadows is a seething mass of fuckwits.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:14:56 am »
sorry, but in this case this behaviour is no better than car drivers who shout at us for not being on the cycle path. It's up to us to slow down as much as is necessary to pass them safely.

+1

I leave cycle paths (including a lot of the comedy NCN ones) to pootlers and children with stabilisers and tassels on their bikes.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Yeah, they probably wouldn't stand in the road in the same way, but they don't perceive the danger of standing in the cyclepath to be the same.

There's the rub.

I don't think it is anything to do with perceived danger, it is to do with the third-class-ness of cyclists. Invisible and irrelevant and annoying. Hence it is OK to stand in their way. Quite possibly the same kind of people that would shout "Get on the cyclepath" from their car window.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:42:10 am »
but the only problem I've had is a couple cycling side by side who were reluctant to drop into single file to let me past them going the other way - but I suspect they're the people who won't let go when they're holding hands in the street either, forcing everyone else to walk in the gutter.
Grrr. couples that hold hands without consideration for others - I 'ates 'em! gerrem ouda my way!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:57:36 am »
Yeah, they probably wouldn't stand in the road in the same way, but they don't perceive the danger of standing in the cyclepath to be the same.

I don't think it is anything to do with perceived danger, it is to do with the third-class-ness of cyclists.

Nope.  It's a rare case where percieved danger is the same as real danger.  You will not die if you stand on a cyclepath and do something random.  Remember, most of the time you're not there.  It's just a bit of empty tarmac and bikes don't kill.

The solution, as Aunty C has wisely noted, is not to ride on the bloody things in the first place, but if you must, to 'play nicely with others'.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »
The only way to avoid conflicts with peds on cyclepaths is not to use cyclepaths.

Quite so. You wouldn't catch me using one (not in this country, anyway - in the Netherlands it's different (I think the average IQ must be considerably higher)).
Profit or planet?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:21:17 pm »
Remember, most of the time you're not there.  It's just a bit of empty tarmac and bikes don't kill.
Unless you're one of the u.r.c. petrolhead trolls, in which case pavement cyclists and RLJers are slaying hundreds of our children each year.

I ran into a kid once (he was playing in the road, I was doing a speed somewhat beyond the braking capabilities of steel rims, so it was him or the oncoming car).  He got straight up and asked, "what did you do that for?".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:53:22 pm »
We need an organisation that will stand up for the fundemental human rights of the poor, beleagured British cyclist to do whatever they want whenever they want in the face of the continuing threats from non-road tax paying pedestrians and their ilk. Let's call it the Association of British Cyclists.

;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »
I ran into a kid once <snip>
He got straight up and asked, "what did you do that for?".

Attempting to improve the quality of the gene pool?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Spikey

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:14:40 pm »
I remember last year when my daughter was learning to ride solo without stabilizers. So due to nervous, slow and wobbly nature we took her on a cycle path (Bristol-Bath) away from fast motorised traffic. I won't forget the fear/panic caused by the occaisional cylists rushing past at 20mph with inches to spare. Shouting a warning can makes things worse as it startles/scares peds/kids.

Cylce paths are shared facilities, and kids and pedestrians have every right to use them. Slow down be polite and pass safely. If you want to ride fast and not have to clown as much then find a main road.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:24:51 pm »
As I passed I shouted "That's the f****** footpath, use it" and pointed at the fp.

Sorry, but Greenbank +1.

You've just turned another ped (probably also a car driver) and maybe some of the people they know into members of the 'fucking cyclists' rant mob.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:32:22 pm »
As I passed I shouted "That's the f****** footpath, use it" and pointed at the fp.

Sorry, but Greenbank +1.

I should point out that it's only a couple of weeks since I gave someone a load of abuse for telling me to "get off and walk" across a combined cycle/pedestrian crossing. Was it perfectly legal to cycle over the crossing? Yes. Did they deserve all of the swearing and the names I called them? Of course not. -1 for me on that one I'm afraid.

I've found that my intolerance grows until either I do something I later regret and realise I overstepped the mark, or I do something bad/wrong myself.