Author Topic: "Ting - Ting"  (Read 6015 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: "Ting" "Ting"
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 05:51:50 pm »
I have taken to going BEEP-BEEP when my wheelchair's progress is obstructed.

Try saying BEEP-BEEP like a truck reversing. Small children love it.

I go with the "Excuse me" method. Works well, especially on the chavvy kids. Don't have a clue why. Bells seem to irritate people.

There's also a plastic-sounding WARNING, THIS WHEELCHAIR IS ADVANCING/REVERSING I use with some effect.

BEEP-BEEP penetrates the ambient sound more effectively than 'Excuse me' in shops and pubs.

Why do I get the impression the general public is so switched off??

steveB

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
Why do I get the impression the general public is so switched off??

They wouldn't be if we were allowed to carry AK47s to clear the way.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
apparently horse folks like a shout from as far away as possible so they have a fighting chance of keeping their unpredictable, dangerous, expensive beasts under control. 

Talking from bitter experience?  ;D

'breff

• M' back!
  • Head Banger.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
I tend to go with the "Excuse me, Wide load coming through!" qnd it generally gets a giggle.
When told to "Get a bell" by a narky twunt I asked her if she couldn't hear me shouting from 20 yards away.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: "Ting - Ting"
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:35 pm »
I use a bell, and find it is most effective when used  continuously from a distance until the peds have heard it. If I get to close before a reaction, I revert to voice.

People really appreciate having ADVANCE warning of your approach so they have time to react approprately. Worst reactions I get are when they don't hear me until I am on top of them - because then they are alarmed.

I know from experince of waking that having a fast cyclist go past without warning can be quite scary.

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:01 am »
On the few occasions I do give someone a fright, I like to apologise and wish them a nice day.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

aglet

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 09:01:59 am »
[...]
I know from experince of waking that having a fast cyclist go past without warning can be quite scary.

I imagine if you're asleep it might give you quite a start

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
The Frankendale has a special front brake which only squeals if applied with extreme prejudice (KoolStop salmon pads).  It's possible to grab and release it quickly, making a horrible you're-about-to-be-mown-down-screech without markedly affecting progress.  Works every time.
Never tell me the odds.

bobmick

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 11:55:27 am »
The Frankendale has a special front brake which only squeals if applied with extreme prejudice (KoolStop salmon pads).  It's possible to grab and release it quickly, making a horrible you're-about-to-be-mown-down-screech without markedly affecting progress.  Works every time.

The KoolStop salmon pads do just the same on my touring bike!  Sometimes scares the sh*t outta me so I reckon it has a similar effect on those nearby.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 12:00:12 pm »
You should see the toe-in I'm running, too.
Never tell me the odds.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:46 am »
[...]

I imagine if you're asleep it might give you quite a start

OK - I had flown overnight from USA - I was tired.  >:( ;D