Author Topic: Your super powerful rear lights  (Read 33838 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Your super powerful rear lights
« Reply #100 on: 18 November, 2010, 03:05:51 pm »
The SEEKRIT BUNKER is at our disposal...

Thanks, that is likely to be useful.

I'm just working out how to construct a suitable semi-cylindrical 'target' and still be able to transport it.  There is a possibility that cardboard and duct tape may be involved.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #101 on: 18 November, 2010, 07:17:14 pm »
OK, first draft at a test rig almost constructed. Imagine a pair of quilting hoops (18" dia) with a large piece of white cardboard between them, something like a parallel-sided wine barrel. The cardboard covers more than half the circumference, allowing a photo from behind and to the side of the tested taillight to show the beam pattern. The taillights will be mounted on a broomstick along the centreline of the quilting hoops.

Unfortunately I don't have a light meter either.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #102 on: 18 November, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »
I have a light meter (Sekonic L-308BII) with a silicon photocell, so it is sensitive to red light.

I believe that this test is better done with a digicam set to a fixed manual exposure, because it's all about perception.  We'll have to take a poll on the effectiveness of flash rates.

Oh, and we have to include the Wilko 3 LED FTW.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #103 on: 18 November, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

With both normal batteries and those of a state typically seen in the wild :)

simonp

« Reply #104 on: 18 November, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
The only rear light I run at the moment is a B&M 4DLite.

British Standard or Equivalent FTW.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #105 on: 18 November, 2010, 09:31:22 pm »
With both normal batteries and those of a state typically seen in the wild :)

Hang on, I'll put some cheap AA in a light and turn it on.  It should be ready for testing in two or three weeks.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #106 on: 18 November, 2010, 09:36:48 pm »
The Wilko 3 LED lamp is legendary.  It's averagely bright but appears to be indestructible - it outlives all the expensive lamps you can think of.  Mine has been scraped along the road in a couple of crashes (it clips to my courier bag as a backup light), has been slung in corners and generally abused, the lens is gouged but it still works perfectly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #107 on: 21 November, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
WF-501B flashlight with a red led drop-in, $18. Mounted under a small saddle bag using a flashlight mount, all sourced from Dealextreme
Runs on 18650 Li-on battery, about 2 hrs run time
Diffuser is from a liquid detergent bottle, gives good side vision

Video of the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jkeCOclVQQ

Video of 1/2W Smart for comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLnjiyAxl8

« Reply #108 on: 25 November, 2010, 03:55:20 pm »
one of my 2 rsp astrums is draining it's battery's when switched off over a couple of days  :'(. at the moment i just am putting battery's in it when i need to use it but it is a bit of a pain. do think if i spayed it with wd40 that might cure it ?. i am no good at electronics so anything more complex may be beyond me  ::-) :) 
the slower you go the more you see

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #109 on: 25 November, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »
Most unlikely.  It would also make it eternally messy.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #110 on: 25 November, 2010, 06:00:18 pm »
If I had to guess, most likely some water has got inside.  I'd disassemble it as much as possible, which probably just means leaving the battery cover/compartment open, and then leave it somewhere warm and dry (like an airing cupboard) for a few days.

Mine has had the same batteries in it since I got it, and it's been upstairs unused for well over 6 months.  I just checked the light, and it's as bright as ever.

« Reply #111 on: 25 November, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »
thank's , i will try putting it opened up in the airing cupboard tonight and see what happens  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #112 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:23:04 pm »
I just bought a cheap light meter off of eBay, and tried it out on some of my lights in my hall way (so only from around 1m to the lights).

The Light & Motion Vis 180 on full blast was about 30 lux, the Cateye TL-LD1100 with both banks on constant was about 50 lux, and the Dinotte 140R was 50, 100 & 200 lux in each of it's progressively bright constant modes.

It was interesting to see that the TL-LD1100 was about the same as the Dinotte on it's lowest setting, since this was what I had previously determined by comparing them on the bike, and it's good to see that my visual calibration is OK!

(The Cateye does however throw more light off to the sides than the Dinotte does in that low brightness mode, but the Dinotte can throw an awful lot more light out if you switch it to it's highest mode).

« Reply #113 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:06:37 am »
My Dinotte on flash/steady, ignoring the action from this video and looking just at the light intensity:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQ7iwmX1DA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQ7iwmX1DA&rel=1</a>

It's obvious there's no problem with it being too bright, IMO.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #114 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:28:06 am »
To be fair, every light mentioned in this topic would be BS-legal if you cracked them open and removed the steady light function (since flashing only lights are legal over a certain - extremely dim - brightness). Obtusely only the fact that the light can be that bright constantly, rather than intermittently, makes them illegal as sole illumination.

Whether to worry about it or not is another question. Hardly anyone I see has pedal reflectors and many that do are illegal anyway because they are partly obscured by panniers.

It would be much better if we had an American-style legal test, i.e. that the bike must be fitted with lights front and rear which are clearly visible from X yards. That's easily tested by everyone, and it also takes care of lights with run-down batteries (strangely, if you have approved lights, so long as they're lit up, you're legal).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #115 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:43:31 am »
It would be much better if we had an American-style legal test, i.e. that the bike must be fitted with lights front and rear which are clearly visible from X yards.

You can see a Dinotte from at least 3 miles away, so it should pass.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #116 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:49:04 am »
It's interesting that PBP organisers feel the need to put an extra qualification on lighting requirements - over and above meeting the French road laws, it should "allow you to "be seen" 100m ahead and 150m behind".  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #117 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:26:43 am »
My Dinotte on flash/steady, ignoring the action from this video and looking just at the light intensity:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQ7iwmX1DA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQ7iwmX1DA&rel=1</a>

Are you serious? It's so bright, London is lit upto daylight levels!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #118 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:59:08 am »
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.  Could you spell it out please?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #119 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »
Well as you asked nicely:
I thought the main discussion was about using lights at night. Your video appears to be daytime-based. I wasn't sure what the relevance was, hence attempt at humour ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #120 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »
Ah, I see.  Thanks for explaining.  I'm not sure the ambient lighting has a lot of relevance, it's the direct comparison of dinotte with the visible brake lights that matters for me.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #121 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »

What about the problem to people's retinas?

I can appreciate the worth of a super powerful rear light on fast dual carriageways or in the fog, but on ordinary roads in ordinary weather conditions: I find them very offensive, as a cyclist behind one.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #122 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »
What about the problem to people's retinas?

I can appreciate the worth of a super powerful rear light on fast dual carriageways or in the fog, but on ordinary roads in ordinary weather conditions: I find them very offensive, as a cyclist behind one.

They're only a problem when at cyclist-close distances.  No tailgaiting, and no problem.  Yes, I accept that if riding in a group, it's probably better to dim the lights because we draft.  I wouldn't want to be that close behind a car brake light either, it's similarly uncomfortable to the eye.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #123 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »
I don't agree.  I find the brightest rear cycle lights a problem at a decent safe following distance as well, and particularly outrageous when stopped behind someone at a junction or in traffic.  I shouldn't have to keep back tens of yards then.  Despite being smaller, they're more intense than car brake lights - seriously worse for my eyes and mind.

It's seems odd that generally so much is being made of being respectful to fellow road users and setting a good example - but all that goes out the window when it comes to lights.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #124 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »
One thing's certain, there's also an excess of self-flagellation, or flagellation of other cyclists about this.  I don't recall even a single driver complaining, and during Sunday's London CC ride, none of the other cyclists seemed at all bothered (I'll go and ask them though).

As for the keeping of tens of yards back, that's *exactly* what I want drivers doing when following me through a pinch point FTW.