Author Topic: Poor Student  (Read 65471 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Poor Student
« Reply #275 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »
A warning:

Please take extra care during the ride: From checking the route, the road conditions are awful. There's gravel and mud all over the road, big and deep potholes, the last of the snow, potholes as big as your car filled with mud, snow and gravel... You get the picture.

Forecast is for heavy rain in the early hours, but we SHOULD get a mild/dry ride.

Which would be nice compensation for the inevitable puncture-fest!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #276 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »
layers; layers and more layers

and a Nevis just in case

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #277 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:10:18 pm »
I'm out. I've had a chesty cough since before Christmas and it still hasn't cleared up and I've overslept the last two mornings. I'd hoped to be over the lurgy by now!

Me too unfortunately.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #278 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
Still debating whether or not to ride. Entered earlier this week whilst still in Australia just in case. Arrived back in Blightly on Thursday. Don't feel too jet-lagged so may give it a go. Suspect slulking around the back of the field though as no riding since November  :-[

« Reply #279 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »
Looking forward to it, even if it rains. Had a crappy week at work, need to get out in the countryside and zone out for a bit...
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #280 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »
Still debating whether or not to ride. Entered earlier this week whilst still in Australia just in case. Arrived back in Blightly on Thursday. Don't feel too jet-lagged so may give it a go. Suspect slulking around the back of the field though as no riding since November  :-[

Best ride. If nothing else its a sure way of dealing with any delayed jetlag as you'll be guaranteed a good nights sleep on Saturday!

AndyH

« Reply #281 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »
See you all tomorrow  :thumbsup: (BTW Entered)
Had a crappy week at work.
Is there such a thing as a good week at work Phil? Work interferes with everything I want to do.

LEE

« Reply #282 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:59:58 pm »

You won't be on your own as I'm deploying the Thorn Raven, in the hope it will deal with poor road conditions.

« Reply #283 on: 07 January, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
Just checked both Metcheck and Met office for the weather....looking good compared with what we had today :D

Looking forward to it!
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #284 on: 08 January, 2011, 05:40:32 am »
Just checked both Metcheck and Met office for the weather....looking good compared with what we had today :D

Looking forward to it!

I just hope they are right with the rain stopping - it is torrential here in west London. 

Just drinking my coffee and then better brave it and head off - see everyone there!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

scottlington

« Reply #285 on: 08 January, 2011, 06:16:57 am »
DNS for me.  :(

Manotea

« Reply #286 on: 08 January, 2011, 06:18:58 am »

scottlington

« Reply #287 on: 08 January, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »
DNS for me.  :(

Which turned out to be the right decision. I did a spin class instead as punishment and twas very hard.... 200k would have been....tough.

« Reply #288 on: 08 January, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
Is there an award for the furthest distance travelled to the start of an Audax and still claiming a DNS? If so I submit my claim - 90 mile drive to the start to find out I left my shoes at home....

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #289 on: 08 January, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
I rode over getting soaked on the process. It had dried out before I got there though.
Stopped for coffee at Highworth (I think) and when starting again the deraileur went ping and flipped upside down !!!
As I was near Swindon I decided to not to carry on in case of more breakages so rode over to the station got a train to Bicester and rode from there.
Still managed 160km though so a good day out  :)

« Reply #290 on: 08 January, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »
The rain stopped. At 5.15 a.m it was tipping down in North London. A big field lined up for the start and some large groups formed as we rode into a nagging head wind towards Malmesbury.

MattC was powering along on the front of one grupetto. The sun came out on the road to Cirencester and the temperature plumetted. The lanes were mucky, gravel-strewn and potholed, but it was becoming a glorious day to be on the bike. There was a benign side/tail wind to assist us up the Whiteway, where I teamed up with Ken on his first audax.

The hilly bit was..... hilly, but for the first time in 6 or 7 attempts I arrived at the Bantam tearooms in Chipping before they finished serving hot food. Hurrah! I cannot adequately convey how happy that made me. There was a shocking pothole on the exceedingly fast descent into Chipping, I hope that nobody came unstuck.

The next part was a first for me as I have never witnessed these lanes in daylight, but Ken and Phil D very kindly nursed me back the 30 kms  to Shipton, where my legs started to play ball again, and we would have finished in a record time for me except that Mr D suffered a series of mysterious and dramatically loud blowouts.

All in all a great day out, thanks to Dave Bew for organising the event
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #291 on: 08 January, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
The Mysterious Case of the Exploding Back Wheel

Despite better weather than we could have dreamed of, that was surprisingly tough.  There was a brisk headwind to Malmesbury (nothing unusual there) but it was dry.  And when the clouds cleared it was a great day, if a little cold (well, what do we expect in January?).  I was fading somewhat after Cirencester, so urged Chris Beynon and A N Other (sorry, never got around to asking his name!) to press on without me.  I passed them later, while Chris was fixing a deflation near Kineton.  Seemed little point me hanging around - Chris was clearly in control, and I anticipated they'd catch me up before Chipping Campden, though to my surprise they didn't.  I left Chippy with Pip and Ken (not of this parish yet, I think), and we made good progress until just short of Yarnton.  When my back tyre exploded.  It didn't just go down with a hiss, but exploded.  I was not aware of hitting any pothole that might have caused it - indeed, at first I didn't even realise it was my tyre that had gone.  We studied the tyre, but could see nothing to explain the problem, so I put a new tube in and set off again.  100 yds and "bang" again.  So we checked tyre, and rim, rather more carefully.  Still couldn't see an explanation. So, another new tube, try again.  100 yds and guess what?  Yes, "bang".  I only had one more tube, and there didn't seem much point in hearing that go pop, too, so Pip and Ken carried on, while I set out to walk the last 6 or 7 km.  Could have been worse.  But just before I reached the A44, Pip came back in his car, and I swapped my bike for his and cycled the last few km to PearTree. where we swapped the bikes back again.

So a rather slower finish than anticipated.  Hearty thanks to Pip for taking the time to come back and help out, and to him and Ken for hanging around while I was trying to fix the problem.  And as ever, to DavidB for organising it all.

Hopefully tomorrow when it is light, and I am not tired, I'll find the cause of the problem.  Probably something simple and obvious (though not so obvious that Pip with his professional skills couldn't spot it)

Martin

« Reply #292 on: 09 January, 2011, 12:27:39 am »
I arrived with Manotea at about 0757 for the 80km of purgatory into a headwind first section so we missed much of the field; managed to creep up on about a third over the course of the day. Lots of grupettos forming; I joined Tim and Emily after the Garden Centre cafe for a superb ascent of the Whiteway and scenic trip through Compton Abdale; for some stupid reason I'd forgotten that most of the climbing was to follow either side of Chipping Campden (where I gave up waiting to be served in the Bantam and shivered outside first Co-Op and then the One Stop shop whilst Manotea bought shares in the company). Compleley forgot that the last section was also very rolling but was pleased to get back in around 11 hrs; too much Xmas Spirit and Fare has taken its toll.

Loads and loads of YACF; good to meet you Maidenhead Phil  :)

Lots of frost on cars back it the finish by the time the stragglers rolled in;

many thanks for organising a fine ride Dave B; I wonder what ACP will make of the  perfectly adequate "sheet of A4" brevet cards (this is the second time I've ridden that the proper ones did not turn up in time)

« Reply #293 on: 09 January, 2011, 12:42:14 am »
The Mysterious Caso of the Exploding Back Wheel
Hopefully tomorrow when it is light, and I am not tired, I'll find the cause of the problem.  Probably something simple and obvious (though not so obvious that Pip with his professional skills couldn't spot it)

Look for a small slit or hole in your tyre that is allowing a bit of inner tube to poke through and rapidly wear through on the road.

« Reply #294 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:43:45 am »
I enjoyed that! A jolly Poor Student compared with some previous editions  :thumbsup:

Yes a traditional headwind for the first 50 miles and the hills were taxing on fixed. But some great views in the sunshine for most of the hilly bit and a genuine tailwind back to Oxford. I'd already decided to walk the short sting up to the A40 and that nasty thing 5k after Chipping C before I even started so I was just following the plan and didn't have to feel defeated by them   O:-)

Thanks Dave!
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #295 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:01:47 am »
Is there an award for the furthest distance travelled to the start of an Audax and still claiming a DNS? If so I submit my claim - 90 mile drive to the start to find out I left my shoes at home....

An award? Nope - you just went for a drive  ;D

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.
Yes, thanks.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

« Reply #296 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:55:05 am »
I enjoyed that! A jolly Poor Student compared with some previous editions  :thumbsup:

Yes a traditional headwind for the first 50 miles and the hills were taxing on fixed. But some great views in the sunshine for most of the hilly bit and a genuine tailwind back to Oxford. I'd already decided to walk the short sting up to the A40 and that nasty thing 5k after Chipping C before I even started so I was just following the plan and didn't have to feel defeated by them   O:-)

Thanks Dave!

So you made it through Compton Abdale then? Chapeau!

« Reply #297 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:11:11 am »

Thanks Dave!

So you made it through Compton Abdale then? Chapeau!

Well er yes I rode all of the climb before Compton Abs but I might have been spotted pausing a while half-way up 'to admire the view'  ;)
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

Bairn Again

« Reply #298 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:13:59 am »
The Mysterious Caso of the Exploding Back Wheel
Hopefully tomorrow when it is light, and I am not tired, I'll find the cause of the problem.  Probably something simple and obvious (though not so obvious that Pip with his professional skills couldn't spot it)

Look for a small slit or hole in your tyre that is allowing a bit of inner tube to poke through and rapidly wear through on the road.

+1. 

possible cause - brake block rubbing partially on tyre rather than rim.  thats what hapenned to me anyway (after a change of "too casual" change of wheels took stuff out of alignment)

Manotea

« Reply #299 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:23:49 am »
A mixed bag day for me, starting when I awoke to torrential rain in West London. Happily it had stopped by the time I left the house to ride out down the A4 to meet Martin Malins to travel out to Oxford but there was a huge gusting headwind of a knock you of the bike variety so before putting the bike in the car I made the wise decision to turn my wheel round to ride on 76". Just as well really, as I'd lost a lot of cycling fitness over the last five weeks. I'd only been on the bike three times since the the end of November. Not good enough. Martin & I were slightly late starting but pushed on against the NW headwind and started to find the tail of the field, making Malmesbury around midday. I'd been looking for a 'ride through ride' and planned a quick garage stop at Malmesbury where I grabbed a ginsters and flapjack whilst Martin wandered off into town looking for Mattc as he had some badges for him. Of course as soon as Martin disappeared Mattc appeared having been in the garden centre cafe along the road. The garage didn't have any hot drinks so I went along to the Garden Centre with Martin for some tea, which was a big mistake as we were there for another 50 minutes! Still, very pleasant it was but I realised that any hopes of a fast ride were off. We set off with Maidenhead Phil who was hacking along very nicely on his 26" wheeled tourer. Phil & I conspired to lose Martin when we went off route for a while on a longcut, and then I conspired to lose Phil (or rather he dropped me I fell back) towards the top of the Whiteway, so I plugged on to Chipping Camden alone. I made a co-op stop and was just about to leave when legendary Willesden rider Ray Kelly appeared with Els Vermuelen. After a couple of hours on my own I fancied some company for the last stage home so I waited to ride back together through the brilliant starry cold night. Alas somewhere around Finstock I hit something in the road and punctured and was alone again. I wasn't bothered as I figured I'd just swap the tube and catch up. Normally I repair then and there but it was a tadge cold for that and I wanted to be quick but after fitting my Brand New Continental Race28 tube I realised it didn't have a valve. Bugger! As it happens I hadn't had a p*nct*r* for simply ages so I'd been carrying around that bloody tube for almost a year! At this point I was 'stuffed' as I couldn't find the p*nct*r* in my old tube to fix it. Happily after a while another ride appeared and I was able to beg a spare tube (thanks, Honour) and then push for home for what was to be my slowest Poor Student. Still, I've opened my account for 2011 and any day out is a good day out. Excellent!

Epilogue :

The tube that blew had two snakebite punctures about two inches apart. Unrepairable.

I found the missing valve, jammed inside the valve cap. It had unscrewed along with the valve cap! This answers the question, "what are valve caps for". Still, the lesson learnt is, "one spare inner tube is not enough".