Author Topic: Poor Student  (Read 65236 times)

Re: Poor Student
« Reply #50 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:22:36 am »

Thanks Dave. Let's all hope for rideable conditions!

« Reply #51 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:11:30 am »
I rode this one in 2008.  Couldnt make it last year and judging by what Metcheck are predicting for this year, I think I will stay in bed!

The 2008 ride was lovely! apart from resembling scenes of "dancing on ice" for the first couple of hours and wrecking my lovely new Assos jacket.

Lets just hope that Metcheck have got it wrong (again) and hope you all enjoy the ride.

I look forward to reading the ride reports later.

« Reply #52 on: 31 December, 2009, 02:10:07 pm »
There are still pockets of ice around the Compton Abdale area. I didn't go through
Kineton or Temple Guiting. However, Temple Guiting is quite shaded with trees so
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still bits of ice on the lanes there too.
[edited]

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #53 on: 31 December, 2009, 09:10:54 pm »
I've lost track of this, did anything get sent out yet(email or post?)

No, that's my job for this week. There aren't any changes to the route and only tweaks to the routesheet though, so last year's GPS track is still valid. (On my website, link to the left.)

Hopefully I will be there if it warms up a bit, currently I can't ride longer than 4 hours before bits start to get too cold.  Would it be possible to post a word version of the route sheet on your web site so I can increase the font size? (from an old, short sighted, overweight, unfit rider with poor circulation).

« Reply #54 on: 01 January, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »
The routesheet is now prepared and available on my website (link to left).

If you've supplied an email address with your entry then you should have received the routesheet by email. Routesheet for paper entrants are being posted today.

There are now only two places left until I run out of Brevet Cards.

« Reply #55 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:35:23 pm »
Hopefully I made the cut - how's that for a New Years Resolution?... late as always...

« Reply #56 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
There are now only two places left until I run out of Brevet Cards.

These two places have now been taken so I'm not accepting any more entries.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #57 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »

Phew! That's a relief.  ;D

I've just re-joined AUK after a year off and for a moment there, I was considering entering this ride...

I may regret asking this, but does anyone know if the Willy Warmer is still accepting entries?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:55:35 pm »

I've just re-joined AUK after a year off and for a moment there, I was considering entering this ride...

I may regret asking this, but does anyone know if the Willy Warmer is still accepting entries?

d.

There are still > 2 weeks to go so probably; try asking on the Willy Warmer thread though?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #59 on: 02 January, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »

d.

There are still > 2 weeks to go so probably; try asking on the Willy Warmer thread though?

Yes but be prepared to help with the washing up...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2010, 01:25:03 pm »

Ah but it makes a pretty good DIY ... :)

[from my place it is the perfect 3 leg 200km. But I probably won't ride this year following yesterday's adventures.]

The end of the week and next weekend is expected to continue very cold with widespread frost, severe in places, and perhaps extreme in some rural spots. Patchy freezing fog is also likely to form, mainly in the north, and which could linger all day in some inland valleys. Western parts of the U.K. will be mainly dry with sunny spells, although occasional sleet or snow showers are possible here from time to time. More frequent and heavier snow showers are expected in the east and southeast, and perhaps some longer periods of snow here, with associated disruptive conditions. The rest of the period is also likely to remain cold. However, it may not be quite as cold as the previous week and probably drier, with less widespread snowfall.

Updated: 1210 on Sun 3 Jan 2010
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2010, 07:18:20 pm »
It's about time I did an Audax with a bit of audaciousness in it. (Innit?)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #62 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »
Never trust a 6 day forecast!
(I might just avoid looking at them for the rest of the week)

This maybe our first audax on the touring tandem in while (26 x 1.75 inch tyres really do have their uses!)

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »
I think if the forecast is as bad as people are making out then the only sane option will be to bring the Galaxy with the Nokians.  The mud guards are in the process of self-disassembly after 12.5 years and 13,000+ miles so need replacing, though.  Horrible rubbing noises at the moment.

Only if the weather dramatically improves would I risk 25mm normal tyres.

*toddles off to metoffice.gov.uk for the latest outook*

Chris N

« Reply #64 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »
If the weather's bad enough that studded tyres are necessary I won't be riding.  I've cleaned and fettled the fixed audax bike today in readiness, but I might end up on the Roadrat (with big fat touring tyres) instead.

« Reply #65 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »
  The mud guards are in the process of self-disassembly after 12.5 years and 13,000+ miles so need replacing, though. 
I was thinking about not having mudguards at all if there's going to be snow. Won't it just get jammed up between the tyres and mudguards?

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
If the weather's bad enough that studded tyres are necessary I won't be riding.  I've cleaned and fettled the fixed audax bike today in readiness, but I might end up on the Roadrat (with big fat touring tyres) instead.

Well, in 2008 I got round with normal 25mm tyres but tbh I was perhaps fortunate.  I don't have a mountain bike to fall back to so it's one extreme or the other. :)

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »
  The mud guards are in the process of self-disassembly after 12.5 years and 13,000+ miles so need replacing, though. 
I was thinking about not having mudguards at all if there's going to be snow. Won't it just get jammed up between the tyres and mudguards?

Fidgetbuzz, fboab and I rode the best part of 60km in heavy snow yesterday. I was on fixed, and at a distinct advantage from two points I think. Firstly, they ended up riding singlespeed because their cassettes and mechs were clogged with slush and ice, and secondly I think the ability to slow using chain braking really helped compared to using brakes - in fact, I think I used my brakes once, perhaps twice, in that 60km.

I didn't find snow/slush got into the guards particularly (it did a bit, but always cleared again). There were huge balls of slush on each stay, by the rear wheel, and also around the rear brake blocks.

simonp

« Reply #68 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »
It's the threat of "extreme" frost in rural areas that concerns me.

If it's forecast for heavy snow I think I'll stay at home.

I could probably not get these tyres onto the pompino so it's gears for me.  Much more clunky 8-speed mech (cf my usual 10) so more chance of 'em working in difficult conditions.

« Reply #69 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:48:15 pm »
Fidgetbuzz, fboab and I rode the best part of 60km in heavy snow yesterday. I was on fixed, and at a distinct advantage from two points I think. Firstly, they ended up riding singlespeed because their cassettes and mechs were clogged with slush and ice, and secondly I think the ability to slow using chain braking really helped compared to using brakes
Maybe its time for my first fixed audax.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #70 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:50:52 pm »
The forecast on Country tracks this morning was for snow in the week and possibly heavy snow on Friday across most of E + SE England. The lanes up and over the Whiteway could be a bit white.
I'll be on 3 wheels but them being only 20" and having the dérailleur about 2" off the floor means the snow may put me off.

JJ

« Reply #71 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:58:53 pm »
<Thinking aloud>
110 km or so on the club run today saw lots of ice and offs for 2 out of 7.  This is Cambridgeshire so no steep descents to speak of, and certainly none with tricky junctions at the bottom.

If it's like this on Saturday, then the first section out to Shrivenham has the potential to be dodgy in a group.  After that they mostly break up anyway.   I don't recall the roads from there to Malmesbury, nor the bit to Ciren' but the section from there to Chipping Camden could have its moments both from the POV of high exposed road and narrow/shaded/steep. (Edit: Rich paints a particularly unattractive picture of it!)

I don't know how I feel about riding potentially icy roads in the dark after Chipping C either.

So if it looks as cold as this, I'll be thinking hard about it before setting off, and not being shy to cut off back home at any point.  There's no sense wrecking a season's riding by coming off for the sake of one early 200.  The alternative is a birthday party in a convent (seriously).  What do nuns do best.....
CAKE, that's what.

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:01:53 am »
I think I can ride fast enough on the Nokians.  I don't think I'll need to worry about group riding though.  ;D

I averaged 16.3kph this evening (rolling speed).  That may not seem fast, but I was riding up the wee narrow path over the railway, which is very slow, for part of it.  On the flat >20kph is fine so I should be able to get round in time, albeit slowly.

« Reply #73 on: 04 January, 2010, 07:33:09 am »
Well I'll see if I can keep it rubber side down as I get back on the bike after 2 weeks of lurg - not sure if 23's will be any good for Sat either sfter this weeks forecasted dumpings.... :-\

LEE

« Reply #74 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:42:52 am »
I imagine I'll be a DNS.

I'm getting over a cold but the main reason is that I don't like riding on icy roads and it doesn't look like it's going to get above freezing after a hard overnight frost.