Author Topic: Dangerous dogs  (Read 1182 times)

Dangerous dogs
« on: 14 November, 2009, 10:07:26 am »
The household pets that are 'half wolf' - Telegraph

I must admit that the possibility of expressing innate hunting behaviour would bother me...

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Zoidburg

Re: Dangerous dogs
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2009, 07:33:17 pm »
It's not the wolf side that makes them dangerous, it's the dog side.

Real wolves as a rule do not attack humans, they are wild animals, crossing them with dogs removes that inhibition, it's bloody dangerous IMHO.

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2009, 10:23:56 am »
I went to a wolf sanctuary in Canada where they had wolves that for whatever reason couldn't be released into the wilds. They gave a talk about the wolves and said that the last recorded death by wolves in Canada (and they still have a lot of wolves) was in 1700 and something and they were not even sure how accurate that was. Apparently in Scandinavia there have been quite a few claims of wild attacks on people in the last few decades but every time these were investigated they turned out to be packs of feral dogs not wolves.
Wolves simply avoid humans. They did say that a lone injured person might be a different matter though and although they walked their wolves off the leash and you could pay to go on a days trekking with them they would not allow kids to go. This was because their wolves were no longer wary of people and a child could do something that would trigger their hunting or pack hierarchical behaviour and if one bit a child it would be disastrous publicity.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2009, 06:00:55 pm »
Coyotes aren't wolves though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.