Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519355 times)

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10375 on: 22 June, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »
[Time to ban satnav in lorries?

I think not. It always comes down to the nut holding the wheel.

Weekly there seem to be more and more instances of drivers on the Motorway executing the "3 lane exit" technique where they cross all three lanes of traffic (usually without checking for other traffic judging by the evasive action of everyone else) from fast lane to slip road. I can only think that this is due them blindly following instructions when the satnav goes "Take the exit".

I can't wait until neural networks are installed into SatNavs, at which point the SatNav will soon learn to say "Oh, its you again! Take the bus!"

« Reply #10376 on: 22 June, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »
There are a few junctions in Leeds where red/amber at one set comes on as the lights turn to amber on the other set. So it's possible to be so close that you can't stop before the white line. Bloody stupid.

Really? That’s bonkers.

« Reply #10377 on: 22 June, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »
With the Bus strike today, I saw relatively few buses on my commute.  There was a big union presence by the bus garage near Thornton Heath Pond, and between Croydon and Streatham I only saw a single bus, when I'd probably see upwards of a dozen.

Similarly where I cross from Walpole Street to Anderson Street, over The Kings Road, I almost invariably meet several buses, but there were none to be seen today.

The traffic wasn't significantly worse than usual.  Around Thornton Heath Pond there was some congestion, but that was probably the only point on the entire journey.  The lack of buses seemed to make it overall an easier trip, not that I think that would be the case if buses routinely didn't exist along my route.  I'm assuming a lot of people decided not to go into work, and started the weekend early.

There were quite a lot of people at the bus stops, but given the small number of buses I saw, I suspect they had a long wait.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #10378 on: 22 June, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
There are a few junctions in Leeds where red/amber at one set comes on as the lights turn to amber on the other set. So it's possible to be so close that you can't stop before the white line. Bloody stupid.

Really? That’s bonkers.

Yup. I hang back a bit when the lights change because there are always some amber gamblers. A few weeks ago, I hesitate, the car alongside didn't and t-boned an amber gambler.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Si_Co

« Reply #10379 on: 22 June, 2012, 06:09:48 pm »
Strewth, thats windy, had to deploy the little ring, not often that happens

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #10380 on: 22 June, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »
encountered some scumbags on my way to childcare bombing up his hot hatch up gordon road in south woodford while I was coasting down the same road. and to compensate for the small size of his genitals he did manage to give me a good scare by continuing his acceleration, forming the words f*** u with his lips and swerving quite suddenly towards me.
I guess now I know who owns the road.

edit. I meant to write that I made a sign with my hand to ask him to slow down a bit, which prompted his angry reaction.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10381 on: 22 June, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »
That's horrible. It's rare, but when you come across that sort of disregard, it does give you the willies.

Glad you're okay.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #10382 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »
Well, it was chucking it down this morning, so I was persuaded (read TOLD) to accept a lift. One car broke down, the other ran out of fuel, so I was still late for work. It persisted it down all day so that by the time home time arrived, there were no trains running, due to flooding.  At the bus station, I discovered the bus from work to home had been withdrawn months ago, so I make up another route involving two busses and a long walk. £9.20 and three hours later I'm finally home and I am NEVER leaving my bike at home again!!!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10383 on: 23 June, 2012, 06:32:38 am »
Would be nice to find a route that's as quiet as that first bit all the way...

d.

Really quiet and probably way too slow would be to head into Beckenham Place Park and ride the road along the top, cross Southend Lane into Dunfield Rd along Brookehowse Rd and Fordmill into Canadian Ave under Catford Bridge up through Ladywell Fields past Crofton School up Ewhurst Rd into Sevenoaks Rd, onto Brockley Rise (strictly speaking it's called Stondon Park at that point) from which you can access the cycle route (I think it's 22)  that goes over the railway into Nunhead and down to Peckham Rye and Rye Lane.  From there  the Surrey Canal Path (or if you don't fancy going that slow due to lots of pedestrians
use Sumner Rd instead onto Trafalgar then through Burgess Park when it reopens, anyway, out onto Albany Rd up Thurlow St and past the old Heygate (soon to crumble to dust) and bobs your uncle.
If I get a minute I might try and plot and post the route if you are interested.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10384 on: 23 June, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »
Really quiet and probably way too slow would be to head into Beckenham Place Park and ride the road along the top, cross Southend Lane into Dunfield Rd along Brookehowse Rd and Fordmill into Canadian Ave under Catford Bridge...

Funnily enough, that's exactly the route I had originally planned until I was distracted by the blue cycle route signs. Hadn't really planned anything after that point, but the rest of your route sounds interesting. Might give it a go on Monday.  :thumbsup:

If I get a minute I might try and plot and post the route if you are interested.

Thanks. I think I can work it out from your description - if not, I'll get back to you...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #10385 on: 23 June, 2012, 08:28:47 pm »

I've been experimenting lately with variations to my route between Bromley and Southwark and I found a nice new one this morning, via the back streets of Beckenham and Penge. I'd actually planned a different route but where I wanted to go straight on, I noticed a blue cycle route sign pointing left to Crystal Palace, so thought I'd give it a go. And it works really well.

The roads are much quieter than the main route through Beckenham and Penge, and there are far fewer traffic lights too, so it's actually faster than the A-road. It brings you out in Sydenham (curable, I believe) and from there I took the lovely little climb of Kirkdale - which I didn't get up as quickly as I might have done if there hadn't been a sodding coach having trouble negotiating all the parked cars.  ::-)

After that, I went down through Dulwich Village and rejoined my more usual route through Denmark Hill and Camberwell to E&C on the main road. I was slightly earlier than usual and traffic in Dulwich was at its peak. Might have been better off sticking to Lordship Lane and skirting round Dulwich.

I've plotted it in bikeroutetoaster, should anyone be interested:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=418078

Would be nice to find a route that's as quiet as that first bit all the way...

d.

Quick suggestion.
Coming out of Bromley South Station, instead of heading down and doing that right waiting at those lights I would cross the road at the Station, up and first left into Ravensbourne Road, at the bottom is an alleyway (has a cyclists dismount sign, but hey) on the left , through there which comes out at Ridley Road, then left at queens mead and onto and across the Shortlands Station junction to join your normal route. Probs save a few seconds as not having to negotiate so many lights/right turn at junctions.less traffic etc.

citoyen

« Reply #10386 on: 23 June, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »
You know, I thought I'd tried pretty much every possible permutation for the leaving of Bromley, but I don't think I've tried that one. Nice one, thanks!

I've done Ethelbert Rd and through the park, past the duck pond, but even though it is designated as shared use, the path is far too narrow to be practical for cycling. I once had a run-in with a dog walker there - I had slowed right down behind him, patiently waiting for a suitable opportunity to pass, then he turned round and started having a go at me, quite aggressively.

Sometimes, I'd rather mix with lorries than pedestrians.  ::-)

d.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #10387 on: 24 June, 2012, 02:58:14 am »
Side-swiped by a truck this morning at Elephant and Castle. Deliberately. The drivers response to my shout of 'No!' as I slid along the side of the truck was to pull in more sharply - the mark of an utter arsehole. Stayed upright and quite calm (for a while) which is more than the ranting imbecile driver of the truck managed. Maybe it brought him closer to an aneurysm.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #10388 on: 24 June, 2012, 08:33:04 am »
Side-swiped by a truck this morning at Elephant and Castle. Deliberately. The drivers response to my shout of 'No!' as I slid along the side of the truck was to pull in more sharply - the mark of an utter arsehole. Stayed upright and quite calm (for a while) which is more than the ranting imbecile driver of the truck managed. Maybe it brought him closer to an aneurysm.

Yikes Ben! That was not a good experience, just seen it on YouTube. What a stupid driver!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ian

« Reply #10389 on: 24 June, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »
Quick suggestion.
Coming out of Bromley South Station, instead of heading down and doing that right waiting at those lights I would cross the road at the Station, up and first left into Ravensbourne Road, at the bottom is an alleyway (has a cyclists dismount sign, but hey) on the left , through there which comes out at Ridley Road, then left at queens mead and onto and across the Shortlands Station junction to join your normal route. Probs save a few seconds as not having to negotiate so many lights/right turn at junctions.less traffic etc.

You can also continue across the junction by Shortland's station across onto Ravensbourne Avenue but instead of turning up Downs Hill continue into Beckenham Place Park, where there is a shared route. You can either turn left at the far end of the path and follow the edge of the park (I'm not sure if this is supposed to be shared or not) and keep on the path until you emerge on Beckenham Hill Road opposite Beckenham Hill station. Alternatively, you can turn right at the end of the shared path and exit the park onto Old Bromley Road, turn left and then right onto Brangbourne Road (I think there's a cycle route sign for Catford). That also leads to Beckenham Hill Road. Cross this and slip down by the station and pick up the route suggested by Jane. Alternatively, you can go down Southend Lane, marvelling at the absurd traffic calming measures, and pick up the Waterlink Way (just before the horrid snarl of roads around Sainsbury's) heading north towards Greenwich. You can again branch off in Ladywell Fields park as suggested, and follow that up over Brockley Rise, picking up LCN 22 through Nunhead and down past Peckham Rye into the DRP.

One of the marvellous things about cycling is that you can pick a route to go with your mood and just roll with it (I have no idea how people who commute by car or train retain their sanity). Sometimes I'll take the main roads, other times I'll just meander through parks and side streets.

citoyen

« Reply #10390 on: 24 June, 2012, 11:31:05 pm »
Sometimes, I'd rather mix with lorries than pedestrians.  ::-)

On the other hand, in light of benborp's experience...

One of the marvellous things about cycling is that you can pick a route to go with your mood and just roll with it

This is exactly my thinking in experimenting with different routes lately. Just freshens it up a bit. Some days I like to pelt up the main road, other days I just want a quiet, gentle ride...

Isn't cycling brilliant? Just a shame about the sods in trucks trying to spoil it for us. Glad you came out of your encounter unscathed, benborp.

d.

Si_Co

« Reply #10391 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:01:41 am »
One of those beautiful mornings where its great just to have the wheels rolling underneath you. It all came so easy today for an average of 18.9mph, no effort at all. Amazing what having your first day off the bike for several weeks can do.

« Reply #10392 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:28:11 am »
There is no other way to describe this mornings commute other than shitty!!  I only have to go 2 miles and was passed fair too closely about a dozen times and beeped at at least 4.  Arrived at work physically shaking, and me an experienced commuter and all.

Rode in primary which just seemed to make the drivers more aggressive.

:-(

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #10393 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:08:43 am »
Sorry to hear that dave, it must be that karma thing, balancing stuff out; my ride today was as good as good can be.  Not that there was a total absence of numptyness, but the overall quotient was low, the sun was out and all was well with the world.  (well, except for the small issue I couldn't get an earworm out my head - "Girlfriend in a coma"....wtf ???)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10394 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:20:52 am »
Sorry to hear you had a bad one today, Dave.  I was enjoying the corollary of the cars passing closer in the wet.  Nice sunny commute without being blown about all over the place.  Just right.
Getting there...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10395 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:23:19 am »
Nice cunny commute without being blown about all over the place.  Just right.

Sounds like fun in a Samuel Pepys kids kind of way.  :D

Owner of a languishing Langster

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10396 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:26:00 am »
Nice day here, commute spoiled by a) too many insects trying to commit suicide on my face and b) broken Heineken bottle strewn across the Innocent. On the other hand, I overtook a bloke on a recumbent on the downhill after the tunnel, despite being heavily panniered and despite not even trying!  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10397 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:27:50 am »

Sounds like fun in a Samuel Pepys kids of way.  :D

Freud, more like. ;D
Getting there...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10398 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:56:06 am »

Sounds like fun in a Samuel Pepys kids of way.  :D

Freud, more like. ;D

Yes- I've discovered i can't type either  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10399 on: 25 June, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
Quite a few idiots on the road this morning.  OTOH, the drivers were mostly OK.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: