Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519486 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12300 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:27:34 pm »
The Met Office forecast for here (Croydon) has the temperatures being a couple of degrees above zero, at best, for the next few days (XCWeather has -7°C on some nights, but I don't believe that).  Given the variation which is possible, it could easily stay below zero, and we'd end up with varying amounts of snow and/or ice for the rest if the week.  If it does rain, it'll likely soon wash away a lot of the snow, but could then freeze easily overnight, leaving some "interesting" sheet ice.

Most of my route will be well gritted, probably only around 10% to 15% isn't main roads (partly depending on some choices which I can make), so doing it on Marathon Winters, I'm pretty safe.  The biggest worry I've got, is whether to drop the pressure, and increase the grip.  At the moment the tyres are still at around 80psi, which is near the maximum they should be pumped up to.  Dropping them anywhere down to 30psi will improve grip, but at the cost of them becoming very hard work. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #12301 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:50:41 am »
Just popped out to check the road condition before I leave in a few minutes.  Brockley Rd is absolutely clear of snow and ice.  So I am guessing the main roads will be fine.  Even my little road is not too bad and, even though I got the Roberts out last night, I think the Holdsworth would have been fine.
I have been tucked up in bed with the lurgy all weekend, so missed having a bit of bike fun in the snow.  There isn't as much as I expected, watching the news yesterday. I thought it was going to be really deep.
Did anyone else see the re run of the 1963 documentary about the winter that year?  Brought a nostalgic tear to my eye.  Being only about 5 at the time, I don't remember the bad bits so much. Apart from the bone crunching cold (one open fire in one room, no central heating), with sheets and blankets so chilled, even with a hot water bottle, it was actually painful getting into bed. 

« Reply #12302 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:11:17 am »
Most of the roads were almost entirely clear, excepting the very local roads near to my house, some of which are no-through, so see little traffic.  On studded tyres none of that was too bad however.

The cycle paths were another matter.  On one, there had been a significant amount of pedestrian traffic (a shared use path), but those footprints had then frozen, leaving a very interesting surface to cycle on!  The worst bit was the Clapham Common cycle path.  If you don't need to go that way, I'd avoid it.  It had had more cycle traffic than most of the other bits of cycle route I'd used, and was more churned up in places, which made it fairly lethal.  Looking at the tracks left, it looks like most of those users had been using narrow high pressure tyres, and had cut deep ruts, which have variously either formed hard lines which catch your tyre, or mashed the material up into a slushy, icy, slippery mess.  It wasn't helped by some of them being seemingly incapable of cycling in a straight line, so their path weaved back and forth across the path.

If the weather hasn't caused it to depart by this evening, I'll be looking at another route home which avoids going across that common.  Tooting Bec Common was a little slippery in places, but much easier than Clapham Common.  I didn't actually come off on Clapham Common, but the wheels slid significantly on a lot of occasions, and I had one foot out and ready to put it on the ground because it got so unsteady.

I checked the temperatures before I left, and most stations were reporting around -1°C, and it felt quite mild.  Thankfully there was virtually no wind, so it was quite easy going.
Actually, it is rocket science.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #12303 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:40:29 am »
+1 to Tim's comments.  So for Londoners at least, the main roads are fine.  I extended my commute a bit this morning to take in a couple of bridges- London and Tower.  No  problems until I turned into the estate where I work- lots of slushy snow, compacted hard by a few vehicles, which nearly took me out.  But riding through the snow around the rest of the estate was fun. 
    Tim's right, that deeply rutted, compacted ice and snow is the nasty.  In 2010, I think, , I spent the one day our school was closed romping around with the Roberts Roughstuff  on Blackheath in the deep snow which was wonderful, until I rode back on to the shared path, deeply rutted and solid ice.  Whooops!  I'm not sure even studded tyres can cope with that kind of surface.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12304 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:14:04 am »
Well in their third winter my snow studs have finally been introduced to snow. The roads were completely clear, and at the work end of my commute the only snow is that which cars have transpirted to site themselves, but the cyclepaths were about 1-2cm deep in Egremont.

I was impressed by how much quieter my ride in was this morning without the studs rattling against the tarmac, but the surface didn't seem to have any affect on the bike's grip :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #12305 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:35:22 am »
1.75" slicks aren't the best tyres to be using on snow and ice
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12306 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:43:17 am »
It was a bit dodgy getting out of our roads this morning (did I mention I saw a man fall over yesterday?  Rather, I saw him sat on the ground through a gap between two parked cars, and hadn't seen him walking, so I went back to help, but he was all right).

Once on the main(ish) road, it was pretty much OK.  Traffic was relatively light, and there were other cyclists about, including the usual proportion of dickheads.  In previous winters, it's tended to be the more serious cyclists who have continued through, but there were people without lights, jumping red lights, pushing past at stops, squeezing past lorries, and boxing people in.  Hey ho.  I managed to get free of all that.  Even with the studded tyres, I was faster than almost all the other commuters.  The ones who were faster than me were very fast, and tended to do at least one of the above, so I wasn't chasing anyone.  A day for following my own pace.

The tyres slipped a bit on slushy snow.  Tbf, that was more the snow slipping on itself.  The only challenging roads after leaving Carshalton were the ones approaching work though, if I had diverted slightly, there was one of the roads clear, which is a relief, as I know that the doctors can get in.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12307 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
I have mislaid my clear glasses. Riding in to day into the face of 25mph driven snow was painful.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #12308 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:55:44 am »
I am getting much admiration for cycling in which is really not deserved, because all the main roads in London are perfectly clear. I didn’t bother trying to cycle out of my estate on the compacted snow or going my normal backstreet route, I just walked the bike out to the main roads and stuck to them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12309 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:08:38 am »
I am getting much admiration for cycling in which is really not deserved, because all the main roads in London are perfectly clear. I didn’t bother trying to cycle out of my estate on the compacted snow or going my normal backstreet route, I just walked the bike out to the main roads and stuck to them.

Exactly that for me, too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #12310 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:13:11 am »
I'm afraid I went for the train option, even though I know the main roads are clear of snow - much of my commute, particularly round Homerton, Lower Clapton is either on very quiet roads (where I rarely encounter any other traffic) or dedicated cycle / canal paths where the snow would not have cleared.

I heard quite enough squeaking from my bottom on Saturday to not be too keen to repeat the experience.

The train journey in Was Not Fun  :(

Oddly enough, of the five I share an office with, I am the only one to have turned up, so far - and they're all local to here!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12311 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:21:12 am »
I forgot to add, the office is half empty here, but the bike shed is full* :thumbsup:

In this weather last year I'd have been the only cyclist who had ridden in.

* Considering the fact that the main roads are clear, and we have a higher than normal %age of off-road 4x4s then what does that say about the drivers ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12312 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:12:53 am »
Two person unable to get in today.  She travels from South Croydon (second furthest after me), where trains don't always stop in snow conditions.  The other has a domestic plumbing disaster to attend to.

Driving in from Camden took one doctor nearly two hours.  My moving time was 58 minutes.
Getting there...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #12313 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:18:43 am »
Whereas I have plotted an A road only route and intend to leave later than normal in the hope that the traffic will clear the roads.

That's exactly what I did & it worked  :thumbsup:

Edit: I rode in on the mtb with panracer fire mud pro tyres fitted which are good in the snow but blummin hard work on the roads. 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12314 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:03:47 pm »
roads were just wet on my commute, i left a bit earlier and arrived earlier for no reason. saw a cyclist on the floor near old street covered with jackets and other clothes, paramedics on the way - not sure what's happened there as i couldn't see any clues of an accident, his/her brommie folded nearby, i hope nothing major..

« Reply #12315 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:07:21 pm »
Wot Tim said about Clapham Common. I rode on the grass.
I dropped the tyre pressures a tad and the bike is behaving a lot better on rutted ice than beforehand.

Saw to ladies riding with Cristiana-type tricyles laden down with kids. They seemed to be perfectly happy on the snow.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #12316 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:58:01 pm »
I walked past three houses on my street and on to the shared road with a good surface. Mounted and rode down Bryn Derwen, Drysgol Road and Windsor Road as far as the corner where I pushed the bike along the path to Parc Radyr.  Big mistake, I expected these minor streets to be better than mine but they were worse so I had to walk to the exit road which was clear enough.  I turned on to the A4419. At the T Junction I took a sharper line than usual to avoid the snow.  I decided not to cut through Miskin. It looked clear but the road could be tricky in a quieter section. So I took the square around Miskin and Pontyclun. The A473 was mostly good but I needed to be careful in places.  I didn't have any problems until I rejoined the A473 after Pencoed.  I was surprised to see that the busy roundabout was not clear. I was directed into the middle lane before I could flee to the edge where I feel safe. Then it was straight forward until I arrived at work and decided to walk across the very slippery car park.

A roads easy with care.
Lesser roads need attention.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #12317 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »
Almost normal today. Had to wheel the bike to the end of the road where it joins a larger road, as our little street hasn't seen any grit since last winter, but once I was on the main roads everything was fine except for under the railway bridge near Westminster Bridge, where I think I felt a bit of ice.. May be a bit trickier going home tonight if the snow that has melted decides to freeze but, again, I anticipate staying on A roads as long as possible.

Drivers seemed to be, in general, being extra-civilised.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

spindrift

« Reply #12318 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
Main roads were slushed up to buggery, but I waved thanks to about 5 drivers, I was like the pope, they were super cautious and patient.

« Reply #12319 on: 21 January, 2013, 02:11:07 pm »
Snow is settling on roads in Leeds, temp dropped below 0.

Not actually looking forward to fighting through traffic on slicks. I really, really should have put the Marathon Winters on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12320 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:58:28 pm »
not for me, wet roads and temperatures around freezing means risk of ice for me, especially on the way home, a sedate trundle  on Boris bike between London Bridge to Liverpool Street will do for me. Depend where you start from I suppose, Central London is fine but it's a lot icier and colder and earlier/later in E4

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12321 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »
This is the forecast. I am not looking forwad to the ride home.

weather by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12322 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »
Roads were wet this evening on the way home, but it was just starting to settle as I got home and now the roads are covered again.

Looks like the snow bike will be out for a little while yet. :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12323 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »
Horizontal snow, David?  Bad luck!
Getting there...

« Reply #12324 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:45:12 pm »
I commuted the bridleway after being sent home on Friday...

..why is this picture sooo tiny?

<mode=father ted>
Because you're a long way away.
</mode>

Careful, I'll be telling Mrs Doyle about you....

..why is this picture sooo tiny?

... because that was what you asked the server to provide?

A little experimentation with the URL produced a larger image. 

Tim beat me to it :)

Thanks for the help...