Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524544 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12525 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:36:08 pm »
I'd put my money on a smallish split in the tyre. Inner tube pokes out and Bango !!

Another inner tube isn't going to help if so. I managed to nurse my bike home once with this by reducing the pressure.

I'd second that! Only time's that I've had a puncture with a bang as opposed to a hiss has been with a split tyre - usually down to the brakes rubbing the sidewall :facepalm:

AOL.  If it is such, you may well be able to boot the tyre with bit of Tyvek/crispy fiver/bananananana skin/similar approved.
It's the first puncture I've had on this tyre which I've been using since last summer.
It's actually cut up quite badly, with the bead starting to part company from the carcass.
Phone call to Corridori has been placed. Tyre will be put in the post tomorrow. I'll be flexing the Oyster tonight. :(

« Reply #12526 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:41:04 pm »
Must remember to keep disposable gloves in the Brompton saddle bag with the cover.  Then when I drop the chain flipping the back wheel out, I don't get bl**dy filthy hands on my way to the office.  Thanks to the nice chap at Victoria Station who held up the back wheel while I rotated the cranks!  Really need more than one pair of hands, but I'm just clumsy like that.

The trick to getting a chain back onto a chainring that I've always used is to keep the bike upright and put the chain on at the bottom of the chainring with a stick, or something disposable, rotate the cranks backwards and it should feed on nicely.

Long wooden coffee stirring stick?

I'd literally just been to the Nero kiosk.  The chain dropped when I was unfolding on the platform at Victoria after getting off the train.

« Reply #12527 on: 04 February, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »
Three of them held together would be rigid enough for the job. Twigs are what I use when I'm out in the wild. Pencils are also good.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12528 on: 04 February, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »
I usually keep a couple of pairs of latex gloves in my saddlebag for use in such emergencies, though when it comes to it, I can rarely be bothered to get them out. And then regret my laziness afterwards.  :facepalm:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12529 on: 04 February, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »
or simply grab the chain using a tissue - everyone must have a piece of paper with/around them? or a tree leaf

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12530 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:01:39 pm »
I had a very blustery 11-mile round trip with mostly a side-wind. Hard work, and the Bastard Motorists of Sutton Road were playing the "let's overtake the cyclist where it's illegal to do so and not leave him any room" game. The Mercian behaved well again but it's still early days with that wheel. I shall relax when I've done 1000 miles on it without mishap.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12531 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »
Pig of a headwind this morning. I was knocked down to 13mph on a few occasions. Struggling along at 15mph I was passed by a fit young thing doing about 20 (bastard). I commented on how tough it was, to which he agreed, then nodded to his rear and said "tag on, you can do the next stint". Cranked up to 21mph for a bit, desperately clinging on and then graciously slid to the front on a slight downhill stretch. I did my best for as long as I could but it wasn't anywhere good enough. After about 400 yards he sailed past and my legs turned to jelly. Strewth.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12532 on: 04 February, 2013, 07:44:39 pm »
Left the Pompino at work (it's never been left out on it's own at night before  :'()
Took 2 hrs to get home on a combination of Victoria/Ginger line :(
2 hrs put to good use planning my revenge.
I shall use the VN to get myself to work and back home tomorrow. (Whoop! could be a swift commute).
During which time I am expecting Royal Mail to be winging tyres, rim tape and tubes to me from Corridori.
Wednesday I shall flex the Oyster  :sick: to get myself to work.
Fettle the fixer's wheel to within an inch of it's life, and hopefully return home on it Wednesday night.
Simples, innit?
Only I need to carefully stage manage what clothing I have where, and which shoes (SPDs & Looks do not mix - as you know, readers) I have where.
I don't really want to be in a situation where I'm spending the day in Lycra - or as a result of doing so - getting a carriage all to myself on the Victoria / East London Line....

« Reply #12533 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:50:18 am »
1hr 2mins with gears.
Which is around a 15 minute improvement on without.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12534 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:08:14 am »
sometimes i get a wave of green traffic lights on my commute as well!

« Reply #12535 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:12:58 am »
It must have been pretty windy last night, there were three trees blown down on my route to work.

« Reply #12536 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
sometimes i get a wave of green traffic lights on my commute as well!
I think there may've been some wind assistance too  ;)

« Reply #12537 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:36:43 am »
First ever commute today using my Dawes Horizon. 13 miles, uphill most of the way, and some snow to boot! Last 5 miles were very difficult, into a headwind and uphill, didn't think i'd ever get here. Glad i did it though and will definately aim for another day this week. (Cycling to lose weight and for fitness)

Home should be fun, time to freewheel down those hills!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12538 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:39:41 am »
First ever commute today using my Dawes Horizon. 13 miles, uphill most of the way, and some snow to boot! Last 5 miles were very difficult, into a headwind and uphill, didn't think i'd ever get here. Glad i did it though and will definately aim for another day this week. (Cycling to lose weight and for fitness)

Well done :thumbsup:

Enjoy the ride back home :)

OT, but which Horizon have you got? There's quite a few Horizon owners on here
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #12539 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:55:12 am »
Planned for riding the whole way. But 2am bedtime after plotting the gpx wasn't conducive to getting out the house by 8am so I caught the train. This wasn't helped by the rear wheel shifting as I hauled my way up the hill crossing the A38. So I had about 2 minutes to buy the ticket at the station. I got off at Temple Meads then had a hard time finding the Bristol Bath path. I was sad I geared down when descending at 32mph but somewhat happier climbing at 4mph. 15 minutes late for work. 16 miles cycled, 1h50 elapsed including train ride.

« Reply #12540 on: 05 February, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »
It's a 2008 model in blue Aluminuim - Sora gears and shifters and now fitted with cream Schwalbe Delta Cruisers - (Soon to update to a brown charge spoon saddle and brown bar tape). Got it second hand so not sure of the model other than year the chap had it since new.

« Reply #12541 on: 05 February, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

Well done! That is definitely the right way round - uphill in the morning and down at night. :D
Enjoy your ride home.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #12542 on: 05 February, 2013, 03:47:14 pm »
It must have been windy out last night, my wheely bin had been blown over (first time ever), and crossing Clapham Common, two trees seem to have gone over, right next to each other, alongside the cycle path.  It would be a very odd place for someone to have collided a vehicle with them (although not impossible), so I'm assuming a freak very localised gust took them out.

A couple of years ago, a tree near the traffic lights adjacent to Narbonne Avenue fell across the road, killing the driver of a van, and injuring two passengers, who had to be cut out of the van, but that tree was apparently not in a very healthy condition, according to locals interviewed at the time.  The two trees I saw today, looked to have been as healthy as any of the other trees running alongside the paths.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12543 on: 05 February, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »
It must have been windy out last night, my wheely bin had been blown over (first time ever), and crossing Clapham Common, two trees seem to have gone over, right next to each other, alongside the cycle path.  It would be a very odd place for someone to have collided a vehicle with them (although not impossible), so I'm assuming a freak very localised gust took them out.

It was gusty as hell last night, it woke both of us up and kept us awake for some time, it was properly howling. I'm not surprised there were trees down on the common.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12544 on: 05 February, 2013, 03:59:27 pm »
It's a 2008 model in blue Aluminuim - Sora gears and shifters and now fitted with cream Schwalbe Delta Cruisers - (Soon to update to a brown charge spoon saddle and brown bar tape). Got it second hand so not sure of the model other than year the chap had it since new.

Ah, just like LindaG's :)

I had a 2009 Vantage (basically the same bike with a different paint job) and it was a very nice touring bike (until I killed it last year. :cry:). Now I have the 2012 horizon frame as a warrenty replacement. What I like about them is how comfortable and controllable the bike feels with front and rear panniers attached.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #12545 on: 05 February, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

It was gusty as hell last night, it woke both of us up and kept us awake for some time, it was properly howling. I'm not surprised there were trees down on the common.
For some reason I read that as:
It was gusty as hell last night, it woke both of us up and kept us awake for some time, I was properly howling.

« Reply #12546 on: 05 February, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »
A nice new bike in the bikesheds today.  Obviously had a bit of a problem with the front brake fouling on the frame so had had to back it right off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12547 on: 05 February, 2013, 06:19:51 pm »
Not the sort of bike I'd expect to see following a derny...
Getting there...

« Reply #12548 on: 05 February, 2013, 08:00:32 pm »
Dear god, I presume you suggested that they spin that front wheel round.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12549 on: 05 February, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »
We found the owner and offered to sort his bike for him over lunchtime.  He understood what the problem was but declined.  He was insistent that he would do it at home this evening but thanked us for identifying the reason for the brake problem.  The bike maintenance police will check tomorrow !

I confess that I have done this myself in my haste to go for a first ride on a new bike.  I got 50 yards along the road before I sussed it - I think that he has been commuting like this for a couple of weeks.