Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524777 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #16800 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:32:35 pm »
Hope I'm not coming down with something.

No, you were going up.  It was barely an incline, but you were definitely going up.
hth.

gws.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #16801 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:12:26 am »
Last night I had a pretty sweet ride to the station. Certainly was enjoying just wearing a s/s top :)

The mirror was pissing me off again though. It's supposed to improve safety, not increase the distraction level as I have to adjust it after every sharp bump ::-)

This morning the mystery windlessness returned and combined with a long stretch of clear bus lane and luck with traffic lights, I made some very pleasing progress :thumbsup:

Now that the roads are more full again, usual service has resumed with car drivers darting into the bus lane without looking in order to skip ahead in the queue.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #16802 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:39:54 am »
Couldn't today have gone on for ever? Sunshine, smiles, and an east wind.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #16803 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:47:57 am »
Blue sky. Sunshine. Birdies twittering. Baa-lambs skipping. Motorists playing nicely. Apart from that, nothing special to report.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #16804 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:11:19 am »
Rather than using main roads as I have been, to ride to the newly-moved-to office, with no real plan in mind, (and plan B of, if lost, head for the Shard!) I headed south from Marylebone, stumbled upon Hyde park, road through the park, down the mall, along embankment and over Blackfriars Bridge to the office with is a bit south of London Bridge.

A really lovely ride in.

Met the Dahon's previous owner on the train who had donated it to me after he had broken it...  (he broke it before I knew him and had already replaced it - otherwise I'd have fixed it for him) - he was rather misty-eyed at its resurrection....  :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16805 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:15:55 am »
Spent yesterday eve fettling long forgotten Dahon Speed TR into shape. Used to be my fave bike but a year of daily commuting on a lightweight proper bike has turned my head. Gosh it was hard work (bendy foldy clipless-less pedals don't help) and painful on the bum. But WHAT A FANTASTIC COMMUTE!!!

Huzzah!!! Summer's here and I have a new bike arriving on Friday!!!

Apologies for excess exclamation marks.

« Reply #16806 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:20:17 am »
No problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Anyone remember Keith Oates ?)
Rust never sleeps

Jacomus

« Reply #16807 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:39:26 pm »

;D That's going back some!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #16808 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:52:20 pm »
I didn't remember him, but that line of exclamation marks has triggered my memory somewhat....Cycling Plus days even!?

« Reply #16809 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:16:44 pm »
Certainly C+, and maybe even early days of acf.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #16810 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:47:19 pm »
Left sharpish by my standards and punctured within 200m.  Didnt know if it had been going down all day or it was a fast one.
Pumped it up and got about 50m.  Once into the swing of changing it I calmed down and enjoyed doing something properly and to completion. It was a change to the rest of my day.

Si_Co

« Reply #16811 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:30:41 am »
Last night I was forced through a pothole resulting in a broken spoke so this morning rode jogler's Longstaff, which was well....you know...anyway its a plush ride, one things for certain, I could get vaguely fit constantly accelerating those marathon plus tyres and downtube shifters make you realise how lazy you get on STI's.

I was quite interested in the time differences compared to the Trek but forgot to start Strava apparently  :facepalm:

Jacomus

« Reply #16812 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:32:37 am »
Last night's ride was horrible :(

On the road between 2130-2200. Some shitstain in a Range Rover not only nearly mowed me down from behind on London Bridge, when he did swerve around me, it was severe enough to cause a little squeak of his tyres. He then apologised for his ridiculous behavior by swerving back in front of me and brake checking me. Then 2 other drivers had a good crack at killing me later in the journey. I saw 3 cyclists RLJ, and 9, yes 9, car drivers RLJ. One of whom did it in the lane next to a Police car. Whose driver and passenger decided that it would be too much work to do anything about it. After all, who hasn't just driven through a red light from time to time, it's not like it's against the rules or anything. ::-)

I hate riding late at night.

I was still nervous this morning, but had an easy ride. The only annoyance was my fucking piece of shit mirror. Oh, and the wanker on a Cervelo who overtook me so close that he hit my shitty mirror. And the Darwin Award candidate who tried to undertake a left turning bus (mid-turn), then got irate about nearly being turned into hamburger meat. If anyone fell over on that bus when the driver dropped the anchors to save your skin, it's on your conscience. Dickhead.

I did have a nice cup of coffee when I arrived at my morning cafe though. Hey-ho. Hopefully this mood will lift and I'll be more relaxed on the way home tonight. I've cancelled going to a thing after work so I don't have to suffer another night of shitty drivers. Traffic jams are a godsend for cycling safety.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16813 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:59:41 am »
It was pedestrians doing their best to kill me, dashing through stopped traffic ten yards away from a perfectly good crossing. 

And too many nutters on two wheels who appear to have red green colour blindness.  Don't they realise they give Jeremy Clarkson an excuse.

Otherwise the new route in south of Woking was very pleasant, especially Tweseldown at dawn.  Will probably be my standard way in through the summer.   Will set a new PB for longest commute today.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16814 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:14:56 am »
Sun: :thumbsup:
Warm enough for shorts: :thumbsup:
Playing with shiny new bike: :thumbsup:
Fastest ride in of the year: :thumbsup:

Best commute of the year so far :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #16815 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:20:48 am »
Sun: :thumbsup:
Warm enough for shorts: :thumbsup:
Playing with shiny new bike: :thumbsup:
Fastest ride in of the year: :thumbsup:

Best commute of the year so far :D

Way to go.  I kept my Ronhills on this morning but will be in shorts for the commute home.  Also got out my flashy arm-warmers from the club kit to look ultra-cool.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16816 on: 16 April, 2015, 11:30:20 am »
2nd best commute was yesterday for me. Wasn't so worn out!

Still had a couple of silly fools on the road but heh, nobody died so that's something to celebrate as well.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16817 on: 16 April, 2015, 06:50:57 pm »

;D That's going back some!

Ah, the Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taipei C+ CakeStop rep.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16818 on: 16 April, 2015, 07:36:36 pm »
In no particular order, cowslips, bluebells and a skylark and quite a few new lambs into the bargain.

Nice to be able to make the inbound trip without leg warmers.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #16819 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »
Yesterday: leave site knowing I won't get to the station in time for the train so commit to riding all the way home and take the direct route rather than dog leg to the station. 19 miles in 1h02m to get home  :thumbsup:

If Ham is correct about the east wind above then that was into the wind but I think I had a westerly, also the first 6 miles are a nice steady decent  ;)

Today I left site on time to get a train  :-[

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #16820 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Grumble Thread.
Coming down the Brizzle Road tonight, both lanes of the dual carriageway are at a stand still ahead.  I'm just about to dart into the gap between the lanes when I do a last minute life saver, in case of drunken mopedists.  Good job I did, as a racing snake, in full on I'm a racing snake gear zipped past me and into the gap at speed.  He proceeded to clip the mirrors of both the inside lane and outside lane cars.  No damage, just a noise.  You know, we've all done it.  ( But not two cars at once).
Well, the reaction was amazing.  Hoooooooooooot!  Lean out of window shouting!
I decided it would be politic to stay back for a bit and not try for the same gap just now.
Traffic was still not moving so the inside lane guy decided to get out and start berating me!

FFS!

Luckily, he'd moved right to stop me getting through, so I was able to slip past on his inside and then back to the lane splitting.
Really proud of myself.  Not one word passed my lips.  The absolute best response.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #16821 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
It was an East wind.  Made 55 miles from Lambeth Bridge to Basingstoke via Ascot in 3 hours and 5 minutes.  There was no way I achieved that without atmospheric assistance.  Arrived 24 minutes before time promised to Mrs CET.

« Reply #16822 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:28:38 pm »
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Grumble Thread.
Coming down the Brizzle Road tonight, both lanes of the dual carriageway are at a stand still ahead.  I'm just about to dart into the gap between the lanes when I do a last minute life saver, in case of drunken mopedists.  Good job I did, as a racing snake, in full on I'm a racing snake gear zipped past me and into the gap at speed.  He proceeded to clip the mirrors of both the inside lane and outside lane cars.  No damage, just a noise.  You know, we've all done it.  ( But not two cars at once).
Well, the reaction was amazing.  Hoooooooooooot!  Lean out of window shouting!
I decided it would be politic to stay back for a bit and not try for the same gap just now.
Traffic was still not moving so the inside lane guy decided to get out and start berating me!

FFS!

Luckily, he'd moved right to stop me getting through, so I was able to slip past on his inside and then back to the lane splitting.
Really proud of myself.  Not one word passed my lips.  The absolute best response.
Well done Basil.
My bold.
Too many times I confess to all-too-readily descending into the 'What-day-is-it-today?-Drive-like-a-fahhkin'-kuuuun'-day-or something?-Is-it?' :-[
EDIT - I think I may be getting old and curmudgeonly.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #16823 on: 16 April, 2015, 11:13:31 pm »
Thanks Jurek.  I'm getting better and better at the non vocal stuff.
And better and better at the dismissive disdainful look that says "I really can't be bothered with you, you hopeless little shit"

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #16824 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:48:44 am »
I've got myself into so much trouble by raising an eyebrow.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.