Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519224 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4100 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »
Lovely ride in past long lines of telephone boxes on wheels :). Rode the first part with clarion which doesn't happen enough. The only bad point was a car nipping between a metal fence and a reversing lorry :facepalm:, when I thought I was going to see a nasty accident. I think my scream made the lorry driver slow down enough that the car got through - it was close though. Other than that, even the big bus company bus on Burntwood lane let me out :o.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4101 on: 12 January, 2011, 03:16:42 pm »
I keep thinking it's time to remove the ice tyre on my bike, but mainly haven't because ICBA.
Last night however gave me an excuse to keep them on for a bit longer.
I was pretty tight to the kerb waiting to turn left when some twat slipped between me and the kerb to run a red light, only his leg scraped across my front wheel.

"Aaargh, what the fuck?" He looks acusingly at me and then rides off across the junction.

WTF was actually your leg scraping across a couple of dozen tungsten carbide studs! I now have fantasies of scraping them down the sides of cars that annoy me...

Love it!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4102 on: 12 January, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
I keep thinking it's time to remove the ice tyre on my bike, but mainly haven't because ICBA.
Last night however gave me an excuse to keep them on for a bit longer.
I was pretty tight to the kerb waiting to turn left when some twat slipped between me and the kerb to run a red light, only his leg scraped across my front wheel.

"Aaargh, what the fuck?" He looks acusingly at me and then rides off across the junction.

WTF was actually your leg scraping across a couple of dozen tungsten carbide studs! I now have fantasies of scraping them down the sides of cars that annoy me...

Love it!

positive karma

Si_Co

« Reply #4103 on: 12 January, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »
It's warm enough for shorts!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4104 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »
It's warm enough for shorts!

It is on my commute too ;)

« Reply #4105 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:21:57 pm »
positive karma

Yeah, you're right, sorry!  It wasn't very good of me to enjoy Alexb's anecdote, but it was funny.

« Reply #4106 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »
positive karma

Yeah, you're right, sorry!  It wasn't very good of me to enjoy Alexb's anecdote, but it was funny.

Believe me this guy had it coming. Mikey you might know the junction concerned, but I wanted to turn left from Queensgate into Harrington Road. There's a little build out from the kerb, so if you don't move tight up to it, you get the odd cyclist who tries to nip up the inside of you as you move off. A personal pet hate of mine!
This guy got caught out.

« Reply #4107 on: 12 January, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »
I had some spare time coming home so turned off at Roseburn where the cycle paths still have some treacherous stretches of a few hundred yards here and there.  Then down to the foreshore at Cramond where I had my first p**c***e of the year.   Nice at the shore though, with a really odd feeling at one point - a warm(ish) wind  :thumbsup:  A fun 30kms.

« Reply #4108 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »
Believe me this guy had it coming. Mikey you might know the junction concerned, but I wanted to turn left from Queensgate into Harrington Road. There's a little build out from the kerb, so if you don't move tight up to it, you get the odd cyclist who tries to nip up the inside of you as you move off. A personal pet hate of mine!
This guy got caught out.

Oh, I wasn't getting at you Alex, but perhaps a little at my own schadenfreude.  Sorry!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4109 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
It was uphill all the way home into the wind. :(
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4110 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:54:19 pm »
Sodding Cateye computer fell off as I was descending a hill at speed on the way home from the station this evening. I stopped and went back to look for it but this was on an unlit semi-rural road and it had probably bounced into the ditch anyway. No chance of seeing it in the dark and no opportunity to look for it in daylight before the weekend. Bollocks.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4111 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:05:02 pm »
Sodding Cateye computer fell off as I was descending a hill at speed on the way home from the station this evening. I stopped and went back to look for it but this was on an unlit semi-rural road and it had probably bounced into the ditch anyway. No chance of seeing it in the dark and no opportunity to look for it in daylight before the weekend. Bollocks.

d.

Forget it, you're better off without.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

citoyen

« Reply #4112 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »
No! I need to know my stats! I just can't enjoy cycling without knowing how far/fast I'm going.

;)

d.

« Reply #4113 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »
Oh well, I tried

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4114 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:07:15 am »
It didn't rain.  The moped waited behind me in the flow of the traffic at the lights instead of pushing up the left of the stationary traffic.  It was just about light when I got there.  And it's always a cheerful spot, the site where I am this morning.  All good/

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4115 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
Fast last leg (ok it's only 1 1/2 miles, but it can be FUN) not 1, but 2 WVM let me through (one on Nunnery Lane and the other near the Barbican).

Arrived all hot and out of breath...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4116 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:11:27 am »
No! I need to know my stats! I just can't enjoy cycling without knowing how far/fast I'm going.

;)

d.

You should just take your normal average stats for the ride.  But wait!  Weren't you going faster than normal? Need to up the estimate *a bit*
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4117 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:50:14 am »
I am still enjoying commuting but the constant chore of trying to dry out clothes is getting on my wick somewhat.

simonp

« Reply #4118 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:53:02 am »
Fast last leg (ok it's only 1 1/2 miles, but it can be FUN) not 1, but 2 WVM let me through (one on Nunnery Lane and the other near the Barbican).

Arrived all hot and out of breath...

Whereas mine was one of the worst for months.  In fact, I had the closest overtake I've had for a year or two this morning.

Si_Co

« Reply #4119 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »
A cracking tail wind today resulting in crossing the roundabout of A34 / A415  at 33 mph, much to amazement of WVM who had pulled out for the overtake only to realise that large metal boxes do not corner at that speed ;D

Hope the wind shifts before the return leg

citoyen

« Reply #4120 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »
But wait!  Weren't you going faster than normal?

Now that you mention it, it definitely felt like I was going faster than normal...

;)

d.

« Reply #4121 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
But wait!  Weren't you going faster than normal?

Now that you mention it, it definitely felt like I was going faster than normal...

;)

d.

That's the way.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4122 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »
A cracking tail wind today ...
Hope the wind shifts before the return leg
Oh no you don't sunshine.  I _need_ a tail wind tonight after this morning's 14 mile hill-climb.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hackbike six

« Reply #4123 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:29:25 pm »
No commutes till next week as I have just completed 14 in the last 16...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4124 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:37:35 pm »
The tailbacks went on for ages and ages.  Luckily, I was riding past them.   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…