Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519392 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #7075 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:32:21 am »
I thought my ride in to town this morning had been marred by a twunt in a big black 4x4 hurtling up behind me with horn blaring as I cruised round E&C roundabout.  Turned out he was cross with someone else but it was too late - I gave him the benefit of my opinion on his behaviour.

But then all put into perspective by arriving at the scene of a deeply unpleasant bus/cyclist interaction on Aldwych.  An ambulance was on its way. :( 

« Reply #7076 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:17:44 am »
There appears to be an unannounced addition to the Bristol Cycling Festival today. It is the 'Overfill your tank with diesel challenge' - I noted considerable success on my commute this morning.

I especially enjoyed the large puddle of diesel at the bottom of the hill just where I turn left. It made for an interesting cornering experience.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7077 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:21:47 am »
Frack. Lots of traffic around the Oval and in the lead up towards the MI5 building. Huge area of Vauxhall Bridge closed off by police and I believe cyclist down on stretcher and not being given medical treatment with two other cyclists standing over them. Tried asking the police what happened but they were not giving anything away.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7078 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:25:45 am »
 :(

My colleague rides in via Vauxhall Bridge and he mentioned an incident involving a lorry. He didn't see a cyclist but as soon as he told me, I feared the worst. I was hoping my fears would be misplaced.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7079 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:28:18 am »
There is a thread \/ down there and one on LFGSS, I believe.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7080 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:31:04 am »
:(

My colleague rides in via Vauxhall Bridge and he mentioned an incident involving a lorry. He didn't see a cyclist but as soon as he told me, I feared the worst. I was hoping my fears would be misplaced.

d.

Twitter is saying that it is a fatality and apart from BBC Travel saying that it was an incident between a lorry and a cyclist I can't get any more news about it.  :(

citoyen

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7082 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:45:24 am »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51993.0

http://www.lfgss.com/thread72681.html

Thanks citoyen and butterfly. I f*cking well hate that bridge but for me its my most direct way into work. On the northside direction where you queue with the buses the lane comes into direct collision with the lane from the west. Again you have to be really assertive in getting across into the bus lane.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7083 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:06:50 am »
Vauxhall is my least favourite junction anywhere.  It's one part of the London infrastructure which is dangerous enough even without the appalling driving that goes on.  Surfaces are horrible, signage is inadequate, cycle lanes dribble out and dump you in the wrong places, and the visibility is poor with going under the bridges.
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #7084 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:03:52 am »
I do love a nice crisp morning  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7085 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:33:45 am »
Last night, the very deffinition of a punishment pass, close overtake where there were two lanes available and only light traffic. Followed by the statement that the council had spent £2.5m on the cycle path and if I didn't use it he would continue to pass me that close. Unfortunately I was not quick enough to invite him to walk along the pavement and I would pass him at 15-20mph and see how he liked it.

Then this morning I got left hooked at the entrance to the office car park. I was wearing corporate Hi-Vis for crying out loud. There was no doubt about where I was going but he still went past with his left hand indicator on. When challenged in the lift he stated I could have turned in at the first ramp (exit - no entry) and saved myself some distance.  :facepalm:

So I have my safety moment for the next meeting and as half my team cycle commute (including the managers) it could be interesting.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7086 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
You should have given him a Scot's Kiss Matthew, and told him he could have ducked to the left. His choice.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

spindrift

« Reply #7087 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
So many scalps this morning! If I could ever be arsed to get a helmet cam there's a stretch where I could film my scalps and have a little clicking dial in the bottom corner of the screen showing the running total cost of the make and year of the vehicles I overtake. May be seen as provocative so I'll keep that a private indulgence. (Some days I reach £100k, easy, not boasting, honest!) That's not counting lorries and buses. In London if the Hackney Road was snarled up I reckon you could get over a million squid easy.

« Reply #7088 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
I reached £1.5mil in a single car not so long ago, assuming the car value was correct.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

spindrift

« Reply #7089 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:16:23 am »
I think it would INFURIATE drivers if anyone ever did make a short film. You Tube Comments Meltdown. "I promise I'm not being provocative, I just thought it would be interesting to record!" "Your a nazi jew-loving gay road tax dodger, get canser of the head you moran!!111"

citoyen

« Reply #7090 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:39:25 am »
As I was descending the hill en route to the station this morning, a motorist started to turn right across my path to enter a petrol station.

I do this hill most days. I'm aware of the assorted hazards at the bottom (bus stop, narrow bend, side road, petrol station), so I always make sure I slow down before I reach the potential danger spots. But I don't think it's too much to ask for a bit of give and take from motorists.

As she started to turn, I yelled, as loud as I possibly could, "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE!"

It worked. She stopped.  :thumbsup:

I repeated myself from close quarters as I passed the car, while giving her my hardest Paddington Bear hard stare. She looked duly chastised. Good.

Victory? Perhaps. I'd rather the idea to turn in front of me hadn't entered her head in the first place.

d.

« Reply #7091 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:47:02 am »
I like to play "How much income the government is losing in fines" on my way to work.
It's usually in the hundreds or even thousands by the end of my 40 minute commute most days.

Assuming a standard £60 for a mobile phone, £120 for a bus lane infringment and £30 for an ASL intrusion, it mounts up pretty quickly.

« Reply #7092 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:01:38 am »
First commute into London for me since PBP (I'm lucky that I rarely go into the office), so a nice 40 miles. The weather was a little damp, but not worth putting waterproofs on for and actually quite pleasant.

However, about five miles from home I put down the power to accelerate onto a roundabout and snapped my chain  :( Obviously this is due to my amazing PBP-earnt torque, as it's only done about 1000 miles (this is my Audax MK3, not the Roubaix I did PBP on). Luckily it was a small roundabout and not very busy, so I did the roll of shame to the edge without inconveniencing anyone or being in danger. I hate to think about that happening on the Camberley Meadows roundabout, or the one at Egham under the M25.

Of course, my spare link and tools were at the bottom of the pannier, necessitating an unload  :( One nice lady did stop her car and ask if I was OK :thumbsup: But, having left home a little late and with this delay I hit loads of traffic on the way in. Even though I can filter sometimes, I don't like to do that too aggressively and it still slows you down. So about an hour later into the office than I wanted to be. Luckily we don't keep standard hours here, I'm just expected to do what needs to be done, and my first meeting is just before lunch with a colleague who hasn't turned up yet.

Other than that, it was a good ride in. No really bad behaviour from any other road users, and a couple of examples of very courteous driving from vans.

« Reply #7093 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:30:09 am »
Unfortunately that wasn't in Sunningdale where a garage and tools could have been available.

I have snapped a chain pulling away from the traffic lights onto the Twin Bridges Roundabout in Bracknell. Yes I was in the middle lane of three to go straight on and yes it was an up hill entrance to the roundabout.

« Reply #7094 on: 21 September, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »
I like to play "How much income the government is losing in fines" on my way to work.
It's usually in the hundreds or even thousands by the end of my 40 minute commute most days.

Assuming a standard £60 for a mobile phone, £120 for a bus lane infringment and £30 for an ASL intrusion, it mounts up pretty quickly.

Love it Alex!  I think I might have to borrow that to reply to some of my more motonish youtube comments.

« Reply #7095 on: 21 September, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »
Unfortunately that wasn't in Sunningdale where a garage and tools could have been available.

I had pretty much everything I needed - the only thing I was short of was latex gloves and something to clean my hands with. A wipe down on the grass got rid of most of the grot, and luckily it wasn't that long since I'd cleaned the chain so it wasn't completely disgusting.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7096 on: 21 September, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »
This was Friday morning's delightful driver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0QBmP3EPBQ.

I have left in the minute and a half or so leading up to the encounter.  I'm often acused of editing selectively to omit anything I may have done to 'deserve it'.

I was irritated by the gutter hugging cyclist I had recently overtaken, inconsiderately planting himself between me and the kerb.  Just what you need with a homicidal nutter on the other side.

Roadsafed him, natch.

I encountered the same driver this morning, again as I was waiting at the lights.  The noisy,  farty exhaust was unmistakeable.

What a difference!  I can't help wondering if the Met have had a word in his shell-like following my report to Roadsafe last week.  He could of course just have been in a less stressy mood, but you never know.

« Reply #7097 on: 21 September, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »
This was Friday morning's delightful driver <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0QBmP3EPBQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/j0QBmP3EPBQ&rel=1</a>.

I have left in the minute and a half or so leading up to the encounter.  I'm often acused of editing selectively to omit anything I may have done to 'deserve it'.

I was irritated by the gutter hugging cyclist I had recently overtaken, inconsiderately planting himself between me and the kerb.  Just what you need with a homicidal nutter on the other side.

Roadsafed him, natch.

I encountered the same driver this morning, again as I was waiting at the lights.  The noisy,  farty exhaust was unmistakeable.

What a difference!  I can't help wondering if the Met have had a word in his shell-like following my report to Roadsafe last week.  He could of course just have been in a less stressy mood, but you never know.

Any chance you kept the footage and will upload it?  I think it's lovely to have footage of improved performance, and to pass the good news around.  It encourages Roadsafe, and it encourages more camera cyclists.

« Reply #7098 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(

RIP my fixie frame (I think)

Threw chain at ~24mph and locked rear wheel solid.  :o Left an impressive skid mark circa 25m long and flat spotted rear tyre with an impressive smell of hot rubber.

Freed chain to continue riding home but on clipping in the bottom bracket felt odd, and the rear wheel was out of true. 5 drive side trailing spokes knackered and a bend in the right chain stay.

I've had that frame ~15 years and crashed it once writing off the forks.

Even had to call out recovery from home to pick me up  :-[

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7099 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »
This was Friday morning's delightful driver <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0QBmP3EPBQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/j0QBmP3EPBQ&rel=1</a>.

Roadsafed him, natch.

Any chance you kept the footage and will upload it?  I think it's lovely to have footage of improved performance, and to pass the good news around.  It encourages Roadsafe, and it encourages more camera cyclists.

Sadly not.  I have just reviewed today's footage and because it was peeing down this morning my cheapy Muvi couldn't cope.  It just looks like a bad acid trip through vaseline coated eyeballs.