Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519833 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #7500 on: 20 October, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »
 :(
Heal swiftly ZigZag.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7501 on: 20 October, 2011, 05:35:55 pm »
Hell, ZigZag, that's awful.  Hope you make a speedy recovery (and havea good dentist).  Where did it happen?

this happened around 9:10am near finsbury square, i was on city road going from moorgate towards old street, green light, speed 13-15mph. the other cyclist turned right to chiswell street, few meters in front of me. how he could not see me in broad daylight - i have no idea. no cars on the road in front or behind me, i was going in the primary of the first lane.

I think, sad to say, there are some cyclists who simply don't pay much attention to what's gouing on around them. Very sad that you should end up in this state as a result - will you be taking any action (if he is a LCC or CTC member he will be insured)?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7502 on: 20 October, 2011, 07:57:23 pm »
<checks calendar>

That's strange - no mention of International Lemmings Day.

« Reply #7503 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:14:19 pm »
Used my new light tonight, recently purchased from DealExtreme ( Thanks for the heads up Fab Foodie ).
What a difference it makes from my Cateye, lights up my way along the dark lanes leading to Portbury Dock.

Which light did you get?

One of these ........
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7504 on: 21 October, 2011, 06:26:33 am »
That does look like amazing value.

Si_Co

« Reply #7505 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:01:27 am »
Much warmer today, very pleasant, could do with the wiggle man coming today though, I'm missing my mud guards.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7506 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:40:55 am »
Clarrers will be pleased for me. 10 miles today.

Far fewer cars around. Maybe it's Friday. Maybe it's the time of day.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7507 on: 21 October, 2011, 09:59:28 am »
Had to get to Pudding Mill Lane for an Olympic park tour, so came in on the train, after putting some flat pedals on the hack fixie so I could ride it to the station in smartish clothes.
A lovely crisp, bright morning to be out, shame I could only do a couple of miles .

ajc

• See, I told you it was green for me
« Reply #7508 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:41:42 am »
ZigZag really sorry to hear about your off, GWS, brought back memories of a broken jaw and the dentist sending electric currents through my teeth to see if I could feel anything. I hope you heal swiftly.

Thank you to the young roadie last night who ripped the legs off me, I tried to get all the excuses in before he ramped it up, i.e I've ridden everyday, I've ridden the fixie, my legs are tired, i've not eaten enough, its a really heavy rucksack ......I couldn't think of any more  !   

This morning, I flew in, (in my head anyway) actually drafted then overtook cars not sure if I was quick or they were slow but it felt fantastic, I was a sweaty mess when I got to work ! (that would be a nice image for you all  ;D  )

You can call me Al.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7509 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »
A bit of a long shot but:

Found! A rather nice pair of cycling gloves on the train this morning. Feasible glove type/destination combo guarantees reply and hopefully return.

(Otherwise I'll try to tie up with the bloke on Monday morning - we all tend to sit in the same seats day after day :()

fuzzy

« Reply #7510 on: 21 October, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »
This week has been a week of complete Fail.

Due to work commitments and meetings I have had to drive each day and will be driving home tonight :-[

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7511 on: 21 October, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »
This week has been a week of complete Fail.

Due to work commitments and meetings I have had to drive each day and will be driving home tonight :-[
Yeah I hate it when work gets in the way of the important stuff as well.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7512 on: 21 October, 2011, 07:47:25 pm »
Ten miles on the a64 draughting a tractor
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7513 on: 22 October, 2011, 12:41:51 am »
Don't think I ate enough during the day so felt a bit feeble on the post-work ride. Stopped off in Waitrose for some snacks before getting on the train - came away with a bottle of beer, a pork pie and a bag of Haribo…

The final 12km ride home from the station was a bit sluggish.  :sick:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7514 on: 22 October, 2011, 09:03:39 am »
Fabulously chilled out ride in this morning. Only cyclist out there this morning.

« Reply #7515 on: 22 October, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »
Don't think I ate enough during the day so felt a bit feeble on the post-work ride. Stopped off in Waitrose for some snacks before getting on the train - came away with a bottle of beer, a pork pie and a bag of Haribo…

The final 12km ride home from the station was a bit sluggish.  :sick:

d.

Mmm, pork pie, got to be my favourite "bad" food  :D  Ride into Oxford was v. quiet this morning but, then again, it always is  :)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #7516 on: 23 October, 2011, 12:59:20 am »
Reached the end of my first week commuting since August. It's been fairly civilized all week (although on Monday I had a claim for three hundred pounds of BMW mirror made against me). On the occasions I've had to give a shout to make people aware of my presence I've received a cheery acknowledgment back. This morning it took barely twenty minutes to cover eight miles through London, dabbing only twice.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #7517 on: 23 October, 2011, 08:50:51 am »
What happened with the mirror incident, Ben?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #7518 on: 23 October, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »
This morning it took barely twenty minutes to cover eight miles through London, dabbing only twice.
You averaged 24mph through london? Bloody hell, you are quick.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7519 on: 23 October, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »
This morning it took barely twenty minutes to cover eight miles through London, dabbing only twice.
You averaged 24mph through london? Bloody hell, you are quick.

He is very very quick.  Often at 30mph or over in his videos, and repeatedly and for relatively long durations.  :D

« Reply #7520 on: 23 October, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
Came across a (I think drunk) lady who fell over in the road, who didn't really want help and defo not the police help we got her.  I think I might put the video up, but only because the impatient c0ck of a driver who couldn't wait for us to get up up and out of the road.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #7521 on: 24 October, 2011, 12:19:21 am »
What happened with the mirror incident, Ben?

The driver cut across a bus lane I was in with other cyclists on my inside. I dropped my hand off the handlebars and the mirror caught the outside of my wrist. I've posted the video privately and provided a link to British Cycling's insurers in my statement. I'm waiting to hear their response.

As to speed, my route was a shade under eight miles and it took a tad over twenty minutes, so not quite 24mph. On a normal weekday I often keep pace with sensibly ridden motorbikes between Crystal Palace and Elephant and Castle. It's all about the traffic lights - and the school run traffic jams.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #7522 on: 24 October, 2011, 09:50:28 am »
the school run traffic jams.

None today. The roads seemed empty all the way through Putney, Parsons Green and Fulham. I love half term.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #7523 on: 24 October, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »
I thought today's commute was inexplicably quiet. Then I realised it is half term so no school traffic.  Still traffic on the A473 .  A slightly frightening moment then my chain slipped badly as I was making a right turn across the dual carriageway. There is a new chain ring in the post but for this week I will continue with the worn out one.  I knew it was messed up yesterday when I could not get up a 1 in 12.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
On the commute today
« Reply #7524 on: 24 October, 2011, 09:03:27 pm »
Attacked at a red traffic light by a driver who objected to me being in the middle of the lane and got out and stamped on my rear wheel. Rear wheel damaged (subsequently repaired). Mudguard smashed.
No more to report as the details have gone to the Metropolitan Police. Allthough I dont hold out much hope of them doing anything.