Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524576 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #11975 on: 18 December, 2012, 11:37:58 am »
Yesterday's reputation for being a dodgy day doesn't seem to have been borne out by my experience, although I did have two cars in my street dancing like John Cleese & Michael Barrymore attempting a polka, and a neighbour just round the corner pulling out directly in front of me, stopping as he blocked the entire road.  Thank heavens for good brakes!  I think the inherent squealiness of Kool-Stops may have scared him immensely.  Good.

This morning, however, there was a lot of more serious activity on the roads.  Near Tooting station (where I did, admittedly, see a bus try to turn right across the path of a cyclist heading straight on, to the extent that the cyclist had to swerve into the joining street to avoid being hit), there were three LAS vehicles.  Only one casualty visible - an adolescent, wrapped in a blanket, and sat on a wooden chair on the pavement.  There was an old white Raleigh leaning against a lamp post.  I suspect that had been his transport until lately.

At Clapham South, I was riding along the bus lane when a white van revved up and pulled sharply into the lane next to me.  I swerved, and shouted to alert them I was there, but the driver was just laughing when I saw him next.  Great.

Further on, the A3 was shut at Stockwell.  I asked a Police Officer if I might walk through the 80m taped off, but I spotted a large scooter on its side, and a form covered by a red blanket, and knew I needed to divert.

RIP.

The rest of my commute was punctuated by car drivers who were lost and turning randomly without looking.  Not safe at all.

More road closures (because of roadworks rather than incidents, thankfully) meant I diverted all the way up to Albert Embankment to get through.

Still, 26km.  Not a problem.  I might divert round a bit on the way home.
Getting there...

« Reply #11976 on: 18 December, 2012, 11:45:20 am »
Yes an interesting morning, I had to drive to a physio appointment at Frimley prior to work, driving home I saw the remains or an interation of a BMW and a Merc at a side turning. The Merc was blocking the lane and judging by the damage to the front end was going to need a low loader to move it.  :facepalm:

Then there were the two ambulence service vehicles collecting someone from the station platform when I went to get the train to work. Fortunately the gent in question was responding to chatter with the crews.

Si_Co

« Reply #11977 on: 18 December, 2012, 11:47:49 am »
Flew home last night despite the crap weather, found a JCB to draft for 3 miles, you do get some strange looks doing 30+mph on a bike  ;D

This morning was perfect, no wind, warm enough and the legs were great  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11978 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »
Mostly good ride in, though I did have a silly pissweasel pull out of a T junction across my path, nearly locked the back wheel up shrugging off speed, they just carried on, seemingly blissfully unaware I was there, which given my bellowing of a number of swears seems unlikely.

Caught up to one of the chaps I sometimes ride with further along, had a good chat awheel and swapped bikes for about 20 yards, hard to tell but his did feel more comfortable which concurs with my thinking my bike is a bit big for me.

Then I got a puncture so sat and fixed that but wasn't raining or cold so was fine. Late to work mind.

The less said about work the better  :demon:

But then I got to have a lovely ride home so things improved  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #11979 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »
Fast 46k back from Oxford this evening..averaging over 30kph which is good for this time of year :D. Retracing back to the office in the morning :thumbsup
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11980 on: 18 December, 2012, 10:36:58 pm »
I managed to get 25km in this evening, making 50km today.  Nice to do some different roads now and again.
Getting there...

« Reply #11981 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:40:09 am »
Brought the bike in on the train this morning as I need to go home via various places.

Had my first comment from a fellow passenger that I shouldn't take a bike on the train. My response that the cycle restrictions only apply into London in the Morning was shrugged off.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the new platform announcement 'you are not allowed to take non folding cycles on many trains from this station during the morning and evening peaks' and 'taking a non folding cycle can inconvinience your fellow passengers and cause delays'. but then I Grinked SWT about that yesterday.  >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11982 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:03:15 am »
Southern have a similar announcement every few minutes on their stations.  It's repeated more often than the security awareness one.  Perhaps bicycles are more hazardous than bombs ???

Anyway, my commute was purely human powered, and I loved every minute of it.  A quick swoop down to the station with Butterfly, then on up to work, passing the odd cyclist on the way.  At Elephant and Castle, I went the 'wrong' way, up Borough High Street, then along to Westminster, Waterloo and Lambeth Bridge, where I turned back towards work.  I arrived more than half an hour early for work, having managed 25 swift kilometres.  Extending my extended commute, as it were.

There was a rider I saw from about Balham onwards, who was on a roadified Scott MTB.  He was quite fast, and kept ahead of me.  He was also a very skilled and careful rider, anticipating, observing and indicating well, holding position clearly and accommodating the errors of others.  We were close as far as Kennington before I lost him.  At one set of lights, he commented favourably on my Cyo (which I hope, in retrospect, wasn't too bright in his mirror :-[ ).

The only downside of the ride was that I got an earworm.  :(

Last night, I diverted along Embankment as far as Wandsworth, then down Garratt Lane to head home.  50km for the day.  Happy with that. :D

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11983 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:57:33 am »
I quite enjoy commuting wearing a Santa hat - I get smiles from people, and who wants to run down Santa?

Unfortunately, I think I upset someone this morning. :(  Having observed a black cab ahead of me changing lanes, as I pulled up alongside I said into his open window "Would you like Santa to bring you some indicators and a copy of the Highway Code for Christmas?".  His response definitely put him on the 'naughty' list!

Have you seen today's Yehuda Moon?

Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11984 on: 19 December, 2012, 10:04:32 am »
Yes.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11985 on: 19 December, 2012, 10:13:10 am »
Dinner last night.  Late back.  On the road at 6.25am - clear air and brisk pedal perfect cure for tired head.  Got into the office showered and ready for 8am conference call much more awake and alert than I had any right to be.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #11986 on: 19 December, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
Just poking my nose in as I haven't been entitled to for a while  :)

simonp

« Reply #11987 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:24:50 pm »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #11988 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »
+1

Rode most of the way home whilst doing errands. Raced the train to the station for the last leg as it was wet, dark and I didn't fancy the A322 from Bracknell to the A30.  :-[

Pulled into the station 30seconds before the train arrived  :thumbsup:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #11989 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:15:36 pm »
Drizzle tonight so didn't see a fat lot of the ride home. 
Drizzle, dark & glasses do not mix very well at all  :(
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11990 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:31:14 pm »
I wouldn't have fancied A322 or A30 tonight, what with the sideways rain and huge puddles.  Fortunately I was commuting back from Reading not Uxbridge so used some hardcore lanes.  Top performance from the Sealskinz socks, feet were dry without overshoes even after an hour of badly leaking sky.  Got home with grin on face, only two working days to go this year  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #11991 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »

« Reply #11992 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
Today I was badass. :D

« Reply #11993 on: 19 December, 2012, 08:54:46 pm »

+1  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11994 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »
I wouldn't have fancied A322 or A30 tonight, what with the sideways rain and huge puddles.  Fortunately I was commuting back from Reading not Uxbridge so used some hardcore lanes.  Top performance from the Sealskinz socks, feet were dry without overshoes even after an hour of badly leaking sky.  Got home with grin on face, only two working days to go this year  :thumbsup:
The A30 is not bad, well lit, wide and a 50 limit with enough space for the cars to flow past. The A322 though is a 70mph+ unlit dual carriageway and the left lane can't just flow past. Therefore Martins Heron station and if I missed the train the A329 through Ascot was the preferred route. If I hadn't had errands in Bracknell then I stay north through Binfield on the Forest Road. nearer to lanes but not like your area south of Reading *looks for the green with envy smilee*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11995 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »
Today I was badass. :D

Or naughty bottom, at least.

Damp commute tonight - at least till I got up put of the river basin and past Brixton.  But it was fun, and I managed to round up to 25km again, despite having taken on two massive panniers of shopping before the hilly bit home.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #11996 on: 20 December, 2012, 03:51:40 am »
Riding into Middlesbrough at 18.30 on a damp December night is bloody horrible. Punishment passes by kids i n black hatchbacks with tinted windows. There must be more to life than this.

Si_Co

« Reply #11997 on: 20 December, 2012, 07:29:10 am »
Not a lot of fun that

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11998 on: 20 December, 2012, 07:35:05 am »
Riding into Middlesbrough at 18.30 on a damp December night is bloody horrible. Punishment passes by kids i n black hatchbacks with tinted windows. There must be more to life than this.

Me thinks you need to re-find your cycling Mojo.

I'll make a deal with you, you look for mine and I'll look for yours, deal?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11999 on: 20 December, 2012, 08:23:36 am »
If you can get these, you must be able to get SPD flippers?