Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524652 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #13850 on: 24 July, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »
Had a few close calls with kids swapping from pavement to CS3 and back as well.  One almost tumbled, but thankfully no contact.

I have it on good authority red wine is good for replacing lost blood, but being thinner you need to take in a significantly greater quantity than what was lost. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13851 on: 24 July, 2013, 09:00:15 pm »
How's the bike?  Yours, that is.
Getting there...

« Reply #13852 on: 24 July, 2013, 09:07:35 pm »
S'fine, thanks. - I think I took the bulk of the impact...
Don't chicks dig scars?????

« Reply #13853 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
S'fine, thanks. - I think I took the bulk of the impact...
Don't chicks dig scars?????

Oh bad luck Jurek. Glad you're mostly undamaged  :-*

« Reply #13854 on: 25 July, 2013, 12:15:08 am »
  Just need to decide if I hit if from the south (need to use a short stretch of CS£) or from the north (going through Aldgate).

My advice:

Avoid. Aldgate.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13855 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:38:14 am »
Last night's commute was lovely, a few choice words to describe it: windless, sun, dry, swans, cygnets, ducklings.

Comapre and contrast with this mornings: WET, mud, WET, headwind, WET, idiot drivers.

See the difference?

Not a good day, today, to wear all wool on the bike  :facepalm:
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13856 on: 25 July, 2013, 09:33:52 am »
I rode in on fixed today.  I did get bored with CS7 though.  I was pleased to note I had a 24.9kph average when I turned off onto the back streets.

And I'm glad I turned off, too, because at the top of Sail St, I saw a Dulwich Paragon rider who said hello.  It was Darkpoint, who was noodling about like me, extending the commute, so we rode together to Waterloo and along Union St till we had to part company.  A very pleasant surprise.
Getting there...

« Reply #13857 on: 25 July, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
And I'm glad I turned off, too, because at the top of Sail St, I saw a Dulwich Paragon rider who said hello.  It was Darkpoint, who was noodling about like me, extending the commute, so we rode together to Waterloo and along Union St till we had to part company.  A very pleasant surprise.

It was excellent to see you.
Just someone's butler

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #13858 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:48:52 pm »

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #13859 on: 25 July, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »
I didn't think they still made them like that!
Reporting through the TfL website has been very effective lately and there is no way that his current attitude would remain uncorrected. I really thought that bus drivers know now that intimidation is a bad move. Mistakes and anger they can possibly get away with so such behaviour tends to be accidentally on purpose rather than as blatant and then 'justified' as in this case. Hopefully he'll find out that he's made a rather large mistake.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

spindrift

« Reply #13860 on: 25 July, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »
Look how he overtakes the second time, he knew exactly what he was doing. Using a bus to frighten people, the micro-cocked tattooed thug.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #13861 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:04:39 pm »
I'm not sure what's worse - the fact that a strategically shaved gorilla can get a job driving a bus or that lame excuse for a cycle lane ...

(ObCommute: I drove in today - I was liberating1 some decommissioned Babbage engines from work)

1 - perfectly legit. Our head of development forgot to ask our IT guy if I could take them, so when aforementioned IT guy came into the office I asked him directly. Result  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13862 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »
I'm not sure what's worse - the fact that a strategically shaved gorilla can get a job driving a bus or that lame excuse for a cycle lane ...

I'd be inclined to send a grink to those responsible for both.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13863 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
Classy.

But the bus companies are pretty good at dealing with thugs like that.  Definitely complain.
Getting there...

Gandalf

« Reply #13864 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:32:17 pm »

I'd be inclined to send a grink to those responsible for both.

I've cyber grinked to TFL and Roadsafe, have to see what happens, if anything.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13865 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:34:30 pm »
Good stuff.  But isn't Sutton Council responsible for the pathetic lane?
Getting there...

« Reply #13866 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »
Met this delightful chap.    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHQupg9-XKI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PHQupg9-XKI&rel=1</a>
Outstanding.
(Not)
Nice example of how an overtake should be done, courtesy of the polis, in the last few seconds of that footage.
Mr. Bus Driver?
W.A.C.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13867 on: 25 July, 2013, 08:08:38 pm »
On my way home, I met up with a Butterfly and a Little Duck.  We took a winding back route home from Mitcham, and it was luvly.

Mind you, I did see, for the first time, a driver, purple with rage, deliberately driving towards a child trailer.  A complete nutter, but his heart attack won't be far away.

Getting there...

ian

« Reply #13868 on: 25 July, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »
I didn't think they still made them like that!
Reporting through the TfL website has been very effective lately and there is no way that his current attitude would remain uncorrected. I really thought that bus drivers know now that intimidation is a bad move. Mistakes and anger they can possibly get away with so such behaviour tends to be accidentally on purpose rather than as blatant and then 'justified' as in this case. Hopefully he'll find out that he's made a rather large mistake.

I don't think they make them any other way in the southern badlands. Croydon and Sutton seem to be in competition for the worst cycle lanes.

Any consolation, I think this chap will be having several bad days, and given that second deliberate pass, I think his days of driving route 93 (or any other) are over. A pity that he's allowed to drive any other vehicle given the attitude, but I'd hope both TfL and the bus companies are now aware that there cannot be any tolerance for that kind of thing.

On the plus side, linked to that YouTube clip I found they've filmed loads of bus routes in fast-forward and given them a soundtrack. It's rather hypnotic. Oh my, I've fallen down another internet hole.

« Reply #13869 on: 25 July, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »
Met this delightful chap.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQupg9-XKI&feature=share&list=UUatqk5A4gOWU81xBx47AdxA

Appalling. Glad you are ok and I hope you've had the time to make a complaint.

Gandalf

« Reply #13870 on: 25 July, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »
Good stuff.  But isn't Sutton Council responsible for the pathetic lane?

I think it may be Merton along there, As it's Mordor Morden.  If you complain to the local Authority they usually pass the buck to TFL anyway.

« Reply #13871 on: 26 July, 2013, 01:40:39 am »
Met this delightful chap.    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHQupg9-XKI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PHQupg9-XKI&rel=1</a>

Delightful indeed.

I'll look out for him (I live on the route of the 93 and take that bus once or twice a week with MiniGB.)

Ironically, the only time I've had a go at a bus driver, whilst a passenger on a bus, was on the 93. Similar poor overtake of a cyclist which elicited a "That was really shit driving" from me and a grunt of dismissal from the driver (not the same one, I can remember that much).

Auntie C will be along in a mo to tell you exactly where the emergency cut off switches are on most London buses.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #13872 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:46:40 am »

I've said several times on this forum that I think filming and sharing head cam stuff on a bike is counterproductive. But I have to admit in this case that you've done a good job there. You kept your cool and caught a clear example of a "punishment pass" on a clear road, that could otherwise, without this evidence, be put down to typical cyclists' paranoia.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13873 on: 26 July, 2013, 09:34:55 am »
After a stupid and pointless overtake by the very first car I encountered this morning, I decided to go for the Wandle Trail again, though this time on fixed.  I've done that before, but I was fitter.  Ah well, never mind.

Even Friday legs would have helped, but I did enjoy the ride.  Bit of a problem about half way along, though.  I got a stick caught in the gear cable (S3X, remember), and then I caught my foot, so the cable was ripped through the retention bolt, which would have stuck me in top gear.  I didn't fancy riding rough surfaces on 90", because I'm not as nails as Teethgrinder, so I stopped and readjusted the disintegrating cable.  It was OK, but as it settled in (I think the flattened, de-stranded part stretched out a bit), the middle gear slipped, so I had another go.  This time, it was just fine.  I had feared that the BB guide, which is only glued on, had come away, but fortunately that was sound.  Anyway, three cyclists passed me while I was fettling.  Only the third, a woman, actually asked if I was OK.  As it happens, I was just putting my spanner away when she asked, so I smiled and let her carry on.

To the top (ish) of the Trail, then through the byergh of Wandsworth to the riverside path then backstreets from the Heliport to Battersea Park.  realising I was short of time, I realised it would be quicker to ride over the Thames and back to avoid the delays at Vauxhall, so I did that, and tried hard to keep up with a very fit woman on an aluminium Trek, who blasted away from the rest of the peloton on Embankment.

At Lambeth Bridge, and with a heavy heart, I turned back towards work, but I did enjoy the trundle past the IWM and SBU under the shade of the trees. 

Ticked over to 25km just after I entered the street where I work.  A real disappointment to have to stop.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #13874 on: 26 July, 2013, 09:41:01 am »
On a road bike this morning, for the first time in ages - sweet Jeebus it felt weird.

The reason for this is that I discovered that my lovely new seatpack has a broken buckle, meaning that I had precisely zero luggage carrying options for any of the off-road machines so it was a case of chucking everything in a pannier and grabbing the first road bike that came to hand (the yellow fixed, as it turned out)

Problem-du-jour now seems to be uncontrolled hellspawn on bikes - you can tell its the summer holidays; one dozy little sod that I encountered needs to be told that we ride on the left on cycle paths. This lesson should be reinforced with the aid of a cricket bat, especially as his bloody mother was riding behind him in a smartphone-induced daze  ::-)