Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524599 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #13925 on: 05 August, 2013, 11:35:34 am »
:-)

I think the answer is just to do it very slowly. We managed to get two families up there yesterday; two 10 year olds, one 11, one 12 and one 13, plus four grown ups. All bar four cycled all the way up, albeit with a few stops.
Rust never sleeps

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #13926 on: 05 August, 2013, 11:42:43 am »
Well done to all. It's one of those hills which has the nagging mantra occurring (in a small whispery voice): "You could walk this quicker … you know you could … go on, try it!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #13927 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »
Back on the commute after LEL & the backs of my knees appear to have siezed up  :( :facepalm:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13928 on: 05 August, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
When I woke up this morning it was hammering down.  The 6:57 weather forcast on the Toady program informed me it was more or less set in for the day.  An inspection of the Rain Today radar over breakfast confirmed this.

Not one drop fell during the commute and the jacket remained in the pannier.  :D

Bugger.
 >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13929 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
Not one drop fell during the commute and the jacket remained in the pannier.  :D

Bugger.
 >:(

Seems to have dried off now.  Best get to the pub quick.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #13930 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »
Back on the commute after LEL & the backs of my knees appear to have siezed up  :( :facepalm:

Just use the fronts  :thumbsup:

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #13931 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:05:29 pm »

I think the answer is just to do it very slowly. We managed to get two families up there yesterday; two 10 year olds, one 11, one 12 and one 13, plus four grown ups. All bar four cycled all the way up, albeit with a few stops.

What time would that have been? On the way back down the beacon yesterday I had a huge grin* brought to my face seeing several children having a good go at the ascent.

*May not have looked much different from the fly eating, rictus of imminent, plungy death that I was wearing the moment before.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13932 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »
Good morning, boys and girls!  Today I have become ANGRY MAN.

ANGRY MAN has a message for you: Leave me alone and stay the f*ck out of my way, you selfish, ignorant motons!

Have a nice day. :)

I know I won't.  >:(

Well.  I was no longer ANGRY MAN when I left the office this evening.  Any guesses as to how long that lasted?  ::-)

Was there anyone operating a motor vehicle on London's roads today who had even a hint of a clue as to how to drive properly?  I sure didn't notice any.  I don't remember the last day I saw so much appalling driving. 

*sigh*

Let's try again tomorrow, but do it better, OK?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #13933 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »
Today you say? Yeah today was full of not very sensible decision driving. Thankfully I only had to cycle home and not to work. Must be the darkness that appeared over London this evening.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13934 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:25:33 pm »
Today you say? Yeah today was full of not very sensible decision driving. Thankfully I only had to cycle home and not to work. Must be the darkness that appeared over London this evening.

What a relief!  I was worried it was just me.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #13935 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »

What time would that have been? On the way back down the beacon yesterday I had a huge grin* brought to my face seeing several children having a good go at the ascent.

*May not have looked much different from the fly eating, rictus of imminent, plungy death that I was wearing the moment before.
That was heading up Streat Hill (about a mile East of Ditchling Beacon) at about 11.30. From the top we headed to Lewes so didn't go near DB.
Rust never sleeps

fuzzy

« Reply #13936 on: 06 August, 2013, 08:31:38 am »
Feck me but that was biblical on the way home yesterday  :o

I rode out at the exact moment that the rain turned to a deluge. Couldn't help laughing though ::-)

It did make me wonder however- which is harder, cycling in to wind or cycling against the flow.

Some of the back roads were flowing like rivers.

« Reply #13937 on: 06 August, 2013, 08:52:14 am »
Last night was not a good time to find out (though I guess I knew really) that an Endura Pakajak is not waterproof.  At best, it is showerproof - any more than a light shower, and you are completely soaked.  As in you might as well be wearing a jacket made from kitchen roll.

I had only got round the corner from Grosvenor Place to Buckingham Palace and the arms were completely soaked through and stuck to me.  I was wet right through to the skin, including my padded bra top (ladies here will attest that isn't very comfy).

At least it was on the way home so it didn't matter so much.

I have one or two jackets and a trenchcoat that I know are completely waterproof - my trusty Altura Kinetic, and a Lands End ladies trenchcoat.  But it is too warm to be wearing any jacket at the moment really.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13938 on: 06 August, 2013, 08:56:58 am »
I did exactly what fuzzy did.  I couldn't have timed it worse.
I called in the pub on the way rather than carry on home, and the staff were laughing at the state of me.  I floped my mitts and cap onto the bar and asked jokingly "Have you got a tumble dryer?".
"Off couse" said one of them, whipping them off the bar.
20 minutes later they were returned - dry.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13939 on: 06 August, 2013, 09:00:24 am »
Tried a different route in this morning, don't know if I will bother again, for 3 reasons:

1) I got lost (soon rectified with the aid of Google Maps)
2) I got a puncture
3) I nearly got wiped out by an idiot in a black peugeot who thought it was a good idea to try and overtake me on a blind corner when a bus was coming the other way, only then to have to pull into me when the front of their car was right alongside me!  I may have used some naughty words...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #13940 on: 06 August, 2013, 09:28:03 am »
Yay, back to it! (Sort of, had to bring in the Italia as the equi is still somewhere in the north...)

Roads were quiet and the route fairly clear (apart from the red lights!) and I made good time. Kept passing the same people that had passed me by either RLJ'ing or using the ped crossings to get to the other side of the junctions. I so much prefer a road bike to the old hybrid.

« Reply #13941 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »
Last night, by the time I reached the lights where Blackhorse Road tube station is (about 5 minutes ride from work) I was soaked through to the skin (and probably beyond).

It did occur to me at that point that I should question the wisdom of my decision to ride home rather than sit it out.
I was in a short sleeved merino top & 3/4 bibs. An hour and ten minutes of cold shower, and I reckon I could be getting into hypothermia territory. Mercifully about five minutes later it stopped, only to re-start twice more before I reached home.
It didn't really matter by then.....

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13942 on: 06 August, 2013, 05:54:29 pm »
I had to stop very quickly on my way home as my stem bolts came loose so I had rotating bars.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13943 on: 07 August, 2013, 07:34:36 pm »
This morning...

1. On rounding a corner a mile or so from home;  ten or so young rabbits in the middle of the road.
2. A mile or so from work a TdF like moment.  A cow in the field next the road running parallel alongside for a few dozen yards.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13944 on: 07 August, 2013, 08:37:54 pm »
2. A mile or so from work a TdF like moment.  A cow in the field next the road running parallel alongside for a few dozen yards.

Reminds me: I had an informal race with a teenage horseist last week.  Equines are normally wary of the recumbent, but this one was quite happy to canter alongside in the adjacent field.  Alas it was slightly uphill and horsepower won over aerodynamics.

fuzzy

« Reply #13945 on: 08 August, 2013, 08:21:14 am »

Reminds me: I had an informal race with a teenage horseist last week.  Equines are normally wary of the recumbent, but this one was quite happy to canter alongside in the adjacent field.  Alas it was slightly uphill and horsepower won over aerodynamics.

Whereas I, on rounding a bend on the way home yesterday afternoon, was faced by 2 horses riding 2 abreast and filling the road. One got a little spooked on suddenly seeing me.

« Reply #13946 on: 09 August, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »
Hit debris, ripped 1" hole in sidewall. Bugger, that tyre has only done 500 miles. Booted it with inner tube and limped home
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13947 on: 09 August, 2013, 07:31:25 pm »
Are you OK?
Getting there...

« Reply #13948 on: 09 August, 2013, 07:35:33 pm »
Hit debris, ripped 1" hole in sidewall. Bugger, that tyre has only done 500 miles. Booted it with inner tube and limped home

Last Sunday I went on a ride with a contingent from LFGSS, amongst whom there were a couple of brakeless riders (one of whom's frame didn't even have the appropriate hole(s) - should one wish to fit a brake(s))
It transpires he changes his rear tyre every 7 to 10 days (he works in a bike shop, so tyres to him are 'at cost').
If his riding is solely around town, he reckons on changing his rear tyre every 24 hrs.

500 miles, you say?  ;)

simonp

« Reply #13949 on: 09 August, 2013, 07:42:20 pm »
There is a guy at work who rides a 32/16 single speed.

I wonder how his tyres look.