Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518965 times)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14625 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »
Dealing with flashbacks to seeing my mother-in-law's injuries after having a truck deliberately driven at me and then being told that I deserve to die.

Later had to scramble to the side of the road after stopping at lights, alerted by the sound of hard acceleration of the van that had swept into the bus lane in an attempt to beat the red. It passed through where I'd been.

I've said bad words today and want to break things.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14626 on: 06 December, 2013, 07:47:45 am »
Horrible.  Hope you're OK.
Getting there...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #14627 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:55:14 am »
Sharing helps. I'm making a set out of salvaged steel at the moment, so plenty of opportunity to clang and spark. The neighbours in the wood shop complain about the growling but for some reason they generally leave me be.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14628 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:58:00 am »
Glad you've got something you can take your emotions out on.  Pen, paper, telephone & computer keyboard don't offer very satisfying options, I find ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #14629 on: 06 December, 2013, 09:18:36 am »
Bike, train, bike commute today instead of usual car, bike commute due to team Xmas night out. No problems at all getting bike on the train, it was really quiet. Dont think the train back to glasgow tonight will be so quiet though...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #14630 on: 06 December, 2013, 01:22:36 pm »
Riding on Marathon Winters is like having your own gravel driveway. It's very soothing.

« Reply #14631 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:17:07 pm »
I think of it more like perpetually surrounded by popping candy.

Overheard at the gym today- the other guy who cycles there saying he wouldn't be able to do so for much longer, what with the falling temperatures. He obviously hadn't realised why I'm on a different bike....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14632 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »
I thought it was rice krispies.
Getting there...

« Reply #14633 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »
It's cycling on bubblewrap...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14634 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »
It's cycling on bubblewrap...

Still want to try that...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14635 on: 06 December, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
Tried it.  Nearly fell off.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14636 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
*Images sex in a bubble wrap bed*

(Sorry about that)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14637 on: 06 December, 2013, 07:31:53 pm »
*Gives up waiting for someone to respond with Clarion's last post*

You're flipping useless, you lot.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14638 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
Tried it. Popped my bubble.

(is that any good? no? oh.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14639 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
Good effort Cudzo.
 :D  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14640 on: 06 December, 2013, 09:48:30 pm »

(Sorry about that)

Just made me think of sweaty bum cleavage.  :hand:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14641 on: 07 December, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »

(Sorry about that)

Just made think of a sweaty session, when holding onto your partner is like holding a wet bar of soap.

« Reply #14642 on: 08 December, 2013, 10:54:02 am »

(Sorry about that)

Just made think of a sweaty session, holding onto your partner is like holding a wet bar of soap.
Is the feeder line for a nun gag...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #14643 on: 09 December, 2013, 11:34:44 am »
Not a good commute. Skimmed by a BMW driver, harassed by an idiot of a taxi driver then knocked off by someone that failed to look 'because people don't normally come from there.'

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #14644 on: 09 December, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »
On my commute ride today yesterday I, happily and without incident, negotiated round a couple and their dogs as they crossed a road in Glynde, with a "Morning" and smile exchanged. Round a corner 50 yards further on came a chap 'pinging' his bell. What a knob I thought, but said, "Don't ring your bell."

I was so incensed by his "Look-out-I'm-too-bloody-busy-to-slow-down-and-interact-with-you" attitude, that I turned round and caught up with the old boy walking his dog, to apologise for such unwarranted bell-end nonsense. So we had a nice chat. So good to hear another Sussex accent.

A few minutes later a couple stopped (in car) to ask directions to Glyndebourne. So were duly directed back from whence they came. Old boy said he can't count the times he has to direct folks to Glyndebourne. I said: "They were probably driving too fast." He said: "Fuckin BMW droivers, whadjaspeck." Oh we both larfed.

Normal commute of 2 minutes resumed today.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14645 on: 09 December, 2013, 01:09:32 pm »
A good commute this morning.  I set out a the time I aim to. Normally I set out at 7:40 and arrive just before 9:00.  This morning I left home at 7:30 and arrived at 8:40.  I was not riding quickly but I avoid three sets of school queues by setting off ten minutes earlier.  I had previously observed that when I leave too late at 7:50 I arrive just after 9:00. So I have to conclude I generally leave home at the worst time I could.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14646 on: 09 December, 2013, 01:13:09 pm »
Next week I am going to catch the train home most days.  I will continue to ride in but I find it scary riding in the evening amongst drivers who have just left an office party.

« Reply #14647 on: 09 December, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »
Last week I took the ice bike every day, which is slow, but surefooted, so I'm happy to ride on chutney coated cycle paths. This week I'm not, so I'm not, so I got a reprieve of whenever it was the last time I had a slow down punishment pass windows down 'use the fucking cycle path'. Today I tried to request a lobby for council path cleaning but he wasn't interested in a conversation. To be honest I think it was a different car, I think the last one was silver and this one was navy. I think. It wasn't as terrifying today, but maybe that's because it paled into indignificance against the cyclist who came after me after I muttered (clearly too loudly) ' well done, you've nearly got lights on' having at the last moment distinguished his feeble flasher from the background of car and street lights.
I didn't answer 'a pointless feeble flasher, have you actually seen what your bike looks like in the dark in traffic' to his 'WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THIS IS, EH?', as I was too busy giving it welly to get away from the scary man and wishing I'd kept my sarky thoughts to myself.

Chris S

« Reply #14648 on: 09 December, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »
I have very limited experience in these matters, but sarky remarks rarely end well. I once made a comment to a ninja cyclist, mostly hidden in the gloaming, but merely got a "Fuck off, cunt" for my troubles. Leave 'em to it. If they're lucky, they won't die a horribly painful death under a truck at the A134/A14 roundabout.

Phil W

« Reply #14649 on: 09 December, 2013, 09:59:48 pm »
Back in shorts , it is so mild, no proper frosts yet