Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 1449172 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20900 on: November 26, 2019, 10:15:23 pm »
Had a few bits happen today.

Firstly, in the morning when I got into work, I noticed that my right shoe's sole had split near the cleat. They're a pair of Spanish luck shoes I've had for about 19 months. After a quick chat with Katie on the live chat, Planet X are going to honour the warranty and have given me a paid-for postage sticker to send them back them with, which is good of them. I have given them a good febreeze-ing to try to spare them the worst of the whiff  :P

Secondly, on the way home, it became clear my left crank had come loose. Tightened it back up, the bike's done about 9,500 kilometres and stubbornly refuses to do anything wrong. I will be glad to be rid of it but amazingly I have still yet to have a puncture on the bike so can't moan about it that much. I have been through more wheelsets on this bike than I have inner tubes (the ones that came with wore out). Madness.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #20901 on: November 28, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
Last night the elderley motorist who insisted on two thirds of his car occupying the cycle lane. He had a great quantity of my lumens thro' his back window but he didn't move over. Got past eventually and after that I could have sold tickets for the motoring antics (luckily away from me) that were going on

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #20902 on: November 28, 2019, 07:35:17 pm »
I'd like to recognise the courtesy of the many drivers last night who reacted to my outstretched hand as I indicated to pull out to avoid yet another oceanic puddle by slowing down and letting me perform said manoeuvre rather than simply hammering their horn and trying to barge by the first opportunity.

Well, I'd have liked to.
!nataS pihsroW

fd3

« Reply #20903 on: November 28, 2019, 11:21:56 pm »
Motorist in blue car stopped to let me out and then passed with masses of space.

Cheers!
[/I could be wrong]

fd3

« Reply #20904 on: November 29, 2019, 05:17:52 pm »
Turning and stopping as a car pulled out of their drive - did not realise I did this on ice.

Next thing I knew I was running down the road with my bike skidding alongside me.  Never did that before and wouldn't have managed if I had tried.
[/I could be wrong]

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #20905 on: December 03, 2019, 08:33:06 pm »
More stylish than my falling off, standing back up, slipping over and having the bike fall on me then. I did manage to lose the wheel at some speed on some autumnal leaf slush the other week we're I somehow did much the same as you, by landing on my feet while the bike flipped and landed next to me so I could hop back on, no bother. Audience of nil, mind.

I was naughty this morning and bypassed the scaresomely rimed road surface by cycling on the pavement.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #20906 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:21 am »
Nice morning today, with my new front light. (cateye ampp500) My previous cateye volt200's didnt seem to be holding charge long enough for journey home and back, and they were hopelessly out-gunned by the mega-lights I meet coming along the canal.

My commuting has been a bit irregular recently because of nights out and loss of mojo.  Hoping to get back into the routine now.

« Reply #20907 on: December 04, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
Last week stopped to offer a guy who was struggling to with a puncture a CO2 canister.  Rushed off after to pick up kids.

Yesterday morning's note to self.  When you have your own puncture (on Marathon winter spikes which are a b****d to get off, but easy as pie to put on), make sure you have closed the valve on the C02 device before screwing in the canister...

Further ignominy on returning to the bike after working late to find that the other tyre was punctured. Finally admitting defeat, I took the train home.

« Reply #20908 on: December 06, 2019, 05:23:55 pm »
My chosen longer route home had to be aborted due to the large fresh diesel slick that had been leaking from a bus or truck some way ahead of me.

Seemed to be particularly bad on the downhill bits. I came off due to a similar leak a few weeks ago and injured my wrist.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #20909 on: December 09, 2019, 10:25:29 pm »
Probably my slowest ride in to work this morning - something to do with 18 miles of 30 knot headwinds.

Alas the wind had dropped this afternoon.  ::-)

However today did bring my total bike commute on this job (since May) to over 1,000 miles. Quite pleased since this is with working from home 2 days a week, and not riding if it's pissing with rain  (don't really want to spend 1 1/4 hours getting soaked).

All in all a  :) day.