Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2510556 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4925 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:22:43 am »
    • Hydraulic disc brakes are really rather good

Yes but have a faff factor that is off the scale when it finally comes time to fettle and the cost of the bleed kit and new pads is more than an entire new unit, hence my return to cables.[/list]
    I've done a few 'pad change drills' and find it far less hassle than the seemingly endless fettling that goes with V-brakes and cantis, and given that the bike in question is going to be used as a tourer having the extra stopping power of hydraulics is a definite plus. I won't be saying that if/when something goes bottom-over-breasts, though.

I have kept the V-brake bosses, though, and am running rims which aren't disc specific so if I do have to fall back to V-brakes then I'm able to do so. 'Genuine' Shimano pads are a bit pricy, but the bleed kit is only about a tenner, which is nice.

TBH, I'm more concerned about doing the 1000 mile oil change on the Alfine hub :)

simonp

« Reply #4926 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:27:20 am »
    Knee warmers!  Reasonably brisk despite 220k yesterday.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
      • Tinyfish
    « Reply #4927 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:15:07 pm »
    Spent the morning dodging toddlers and doggies on Tooting Common, intent upon throwing themselves into my path. Both appear to have a deathwish lately.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
     - Mark Twain

« Reply #4928 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »
    On the way in, saw a roadie wearing the full matching jersey and shorts outfit, combined with spotless white arm and legwarmers. Never seen anything so camp in my life. 
    <i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
      • Audaxing
    « Reply #4929 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »
    On the way in, saw a roadie wearing the full matching jersey and shorts outfit, combined with spotless white arm and legwarmers. Never seen anything so camp in my life. 

I think we owe it to the great tradition of cycling to look as camp as xmas at all opportunities

I certainly was pleased to get outside in a skin tight pink SS campag jersey at the weekend

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
    « Reply #4930 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »
    I think we owe it to the great tradition of cycling to look as camp as xmas at all opportunities

I certainly was pleased to get outside in a skin tight pink SS campag jersey at the weekend

Quite.  It is now warm enough for me to wear my Captain America suit again.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
    The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4931 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »
    Spent the morning dodging toddlers and doggies on Tooting Common, intent upon throwing themselves into my path. Both appear to have a deathwish lately.

See also Flinching pedestrians.

The dog-emptiers of Tuten Khamen are particularly militant. There was one local who used to deliberately walk into passing cyclists or drape his shit-factory's lead across the path. He once grabbed the handlebars of a friend of mine who was riding along minding her own business. Since she was about half his size this was Not Nice.
    The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #4932 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
    drape his shit-factory's lead across the path.

I bet he'd try that only once on my bike.  ;)
    Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #4933 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »

I saw someone "dressed" like that in Clerkenwell (of course) the other day.

Probably not your bloke, since your profile says "Yorkshire".

There are good reasons why cycling kit from the waist down is generally black.
    The journey is always more important than the destination

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
      • Lewisham Cyclists
    « Reply #4934 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:10:46 am »
    What a perfect ride in today I thought. Nothing has spoilt it! Thought too soon.

I was cycling from Cannon Street towards St Paul's and went through the traffic lights, could hear a taxi behind me. He then pulls alongside me. I continue straight. He then starts bearing left into me. I thought 'this is it' whilst screaming as loudly as I could. I don't know how close he was, but the passengers turned around toward me and I could see how aghast they were. Pulled into the side of the road and started sobbing. Woman comes up to me and puts an arm around me.

The homeopathic students were great today, one of them administered rescue remedy and another bought me coffee and croissant.

I'm so cross with myself, I only got a partial registration 'V528'. The thing is even if I did, there is this sense of futility that nothing would be done about it, and the driver would not even get a bollocking.

Alouicious

« Reply #4935 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:17:35 am »
    Five cars overtook me in the first ten miles.

I had a 'Suicide Bambi' run out of the hedge.

« Reply #4936 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:19:16 am »
    h_w, that's really rotten, poor you. I'm glad someone gave you a hug on the road when you were tearful - so often no one gives a toss.

Big ethereal hugs to you from this direction.

clarion

• Tyke
    « Reply #4937 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:26:37 am »
    Oh gosh, h_w!  How horrible.  Chase it up with the PCO.  Even part of a reg could identify a vehicle.

Also ask Police about CCTV in the area...

*hugs*
    Getting there...

Alouicious

« Reply #4938 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:27:17 am »
    5th Golden of cycling.

"Always get out of the way of a vehicle travelling directly toward you".

If his centre of gravity is getting closer to your centre of gravity, that means he's travelling directly toward you.

Get out of the way! Even if it means throwing out an anchor.

There's no point ending up 'pavement mincemeat' just to prove something. The only thing you will prove is your arms and legs break easier than a car's fender.

As a matter of fact, the taxi was approaching you from the right, so you should have given way to him.

Who let him get into that position?

« Reply #4939 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:36:57 am »
    You're presuming quite a bit there.
    Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4940 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:37:08 am »
    With any luck, the cabbie's passengers will have said something to the driver. Did you have railings alongside you?

Alouicious, you are talking a load of twaddle. The cab was overtaking and therefore was obliged to ensure it gave enough room. Go read the highway code.
    <i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
    « Reply #4941 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:00:48 am »
    H_W - large hugs, and lots of cake, from this way too.

You know, I really really really try to avoid the inflammatory stuff on here because life is too short, and it only reinforces the untimately depressing viewpoint that everything is futile and pointless, and I do try to keep up the Mary Poppins-esque cheeriness as much as possible but today I'm in a particularly bad mood so I have to ask... Alouicious, are you sometimes such a complete twat to people in real life, or is it just online?

« Reply #4942 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:05:12 am »
    H_W - large hugs, and lots of cake, from this way too.

You know, I really really really try to avoid the inflammatory stuff on here because life is too short, and it only reinforces the untimately depressing viewpoint that everything is futile and pointless, and I do try to keep up the Mary Poppins-esque cheeriness as much as possible but today I'm in a particularly bad mood so I have to ask... Alouicious, are you sometimes such a complete twat to people in real life, or is it just online?

+1

Plenty of hugs for you h_w, and I hope some nice CAEK too.

Alouicious

« Reply #4943 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:05:52 am »
    With any luck, the cabbie's passengers will have said something to the driver. Did you have railings alongside you?

Alouicious, you are talking a load of twaddle. The cab was overtaking and therefore was obliged to ensure it gave enough room. Go read the highway code.

I know the HC....

The cabbie was obviously a jerk, so there is this :-

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

"slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass" is as good as "Give way to an overtaking vehicle".

clarion

• Tyke
    « Reply #4944 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:08:18 am »
    You are a twat, aren't you?  it's taken you that long to find a paragraph from the HC, and you didn't notice that h_w obeyed it?

You silly bear!
    Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
    • Formerly known as Jaded
    « Reply #4945 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:10:01 am »
    You are a twat, aren't you?

+1

Alovicious.
    It is simpler than it looks.

Alouicious

« Reply #4946 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:11:55 am »
    You are a twat, aren't you?  it's taken you that long to find a paragraph from the HC, and you didn't notice that h_w obeyed it?

You silly bear!

Not entirely...

Get this.

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should

--  try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well

--  be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake

--  not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

--  slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them

--  not throw anything out of a vehicle, for example, cigarette ends, cans, paper or carrier bags. This can endanger other road users, particularly motorcyclists and cyclists

Don't start tittle-tattling about time. I've got a job to do here. Not like some folks who can scan these boards at 2 Hz and not lift a tap at their dayjob.  :-*

« Reply #4947 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:16:32 am »
    Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

Which is exactly what h_w did.  Why do you feel the need to be so nasty today?

Jaded

• The Codfather
    • Formerly known as Jaded
    « Reply #4948 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:16:45 am »
    You really do lack any empathy or understanding, don't you.
    It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4949 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:20:06 am »
    The real world is exactly that, not HypothetiCal.  HW is responding to what actually happened.  That there was no contact is a blessing but it is similar to a complete stranger swinging a punch at you but just happening to miss.  Shock ensues - it is a body's natural reaction, surely?  Hugs and commiserations are in order, not ill-timed "education", which should be for the cab-driver, anyway.