Author Topic: KMC S10 chains - join with master-link only?  (Read 2142 times)

KMC S10 chains - join with master-link only?
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:38:50 pm »
I'm very disappointed with my KMC S10 chain, but I'm not sure whether I'm at fault. I expect 1/8" chains to work traditionally, and be easy to shorten and join. I've had trouble with the KMC failing to join (bent back plates, difficult to line up links for joining) and disintegrating links during joining. It broke on me once when riding because the back plate had bent so the join was bad.

I've been checking the KMC Web site, but it's not very clear and I can't find any instructions.

I'd be interested in opinions of this chain, and recommendations of a traditional one (joined with standard chain tool) for fixed.

Re: KMC S10 chains - join with master-link only?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »
On Dotbike and other sites, the box shows it should come with a spring clip connecting link of the type traditionally used with single speed chains.

In general terms, if a connecting link is supplied you should use it, as it may well indicate that the pins aren't in tended to be pushed back in.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »
I understand that 9/10 speed chains have joining links that must be used. However, "three-speed" 1/8" chains have always come with a master link. The advice was always to throw it away as a weak link (no pun intended). Therefore I'm not sure that the mere supply of a link is enough to indicate that it must be used.

Of course, there were probably instructions with the chain...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »
I'm having trouble finding a large sharp close-up photo of an S10.

Probably it can be joined reliably in the conventional way if the pins aren't peened.  Peened pins are hit (or whatever has that effect) in the factory to make them larger in diameter at the ends than the rest of the pin and the hole in the outer plate.  The plate can be damaged when this kind of pin is pushed out, so is best replaced with a special joining link.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »
I understand that 9/10 speed chains have joining links that must be used.
Not true for 9-speed chains. I use Sh!tmano or sram chains on my ribble and always use a chain tool. Not had any problems.

Actually, the only chain I've had problems with in recent years was an 8-speed KMC. The supplied joining link failed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:43:18 pm »
Biggsy's comment on peening is helpful. So is mrcharly's on SRAM 9-speed, which I use too. I've given up and ordered what I hope is a "proper" SRAM 1/8" chain.

I can understand peening if you lack the width for proper pin projection on a narrow chain, but it just seems daft to me on single speed.