Author Topic: Jacket; the Holy Grail  (Read 16298 times)

Re: Jacket; the Holy Grail
« Reply #75 on: 28 November, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »
I've just bought a Gore Xenon II Race jacket http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_Xenon_Race_II_Waterproof_Cycling_Jacket/5360044540/ which is likely to get its first outing this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on. It had better not be crap...

First outing this morning and unsurprisingly, the rain quickly cleared!  ::-) Fearing that I'd be left boiling-in-the-bag, I was very pleasantly surprised. I didn't come anywhere near to overheating, despite the race fit of the jacket. It breathes very well indeed. Better than anything else I have tried from Gill and Descente. Very pleased with it indeed  :thumbsup:

I think I've found my jacket holy grail.

« Reply #76 on: 28 November, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »
I like to wear a light wind resistant jacket on days when it's cool enough to need the protecion when I'm going dowhill or fast on the flat, but mild enough to get too hot when climbing or stopped without opening the zip a lot.
That's why it has side zips . . .

Also a full length zip makes a garment easier to put on.

Even thin Pertex is stiffer than softer fabrics like Gamex that are quieter so less annoying (and possibly more aerodynamic) in the wind.  But it's hard to find products made with this now since everyone wants things to be water resistant.
1) True, but to me it's a minor point.
2) Fair enough, but

BTW, I have a Gore Windstopper fronted cycling top - a Ground Effect Frosty Boy. That's soft, doesn't flap, has a non-windproof back (reduces sweatiness) & a much longer (but not full-length) zip than the Windshirt. A lot thicker, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #77 on: 28 November, 2009, 09:24:45 pm »
I'm not convinced the Buffalo jacket would be cool enough for me despite the side zips.  I may be wrong, but it would be an expensive mistake if I was right.  I'm getting a bit sick of buying clothing that doesn't suit me and isn't as good as what I used previously (and lost or wore out from crashes).

The Frosty Boy looks interesting, but not really what I want either.  What I want is simply multiple thin layers, each of which doesn't try to do too many jobs.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #78 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
I have a Tchibo gilet that has a windproof front, mesh back and is emphatically not waterproof. It's ideal over a regular jersey for mild, dry, windy days.

Maybe something like that is what you're after? Just add a pair of arm warmers if you want to avoid chilly elbows.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #79 on: 29 November, 2009, 11:24:15 pm »
I already have a Lusso gilet like that, but I like a thin jacket over the top as well when it's a bit too cool for that alone.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #80 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:36:12 am »
I believe the answer to the OP is 'a cape'.

H

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:52:14 am »
The massive popularity of jackets that are both windproof AND waterproof/resistant is ruining the market for really breathable windproofs - ie. non waterproof. :(  And I need one for when it's a lot warmer than 5 degrees!

If only people were prepared to wear different things for different weathers then we'd have a lot better stuff on the market.
Re your 2nd point:
If you live in the same country as me, you'll experience vast changes in conditions purely on a day-ride.

EDIT: ... but I do agree that 'breathable windproofs' are the more useful item!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #82 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
Vastly changeable conditions: on a day ride, yes, but not on most day rides - in the south east of England at least - let alone on shorter trips.

Cyclists are wearing waterproofs even on days with no chance of precipitation, not particularly deliberately, but because their windproof also happens to be waterproof.  My point is that there are too many of these sort of garments on the market and not enough non-waterproof (ie. very breathable) ones.  There are exceptions, but not enough, and I can't find one I really like any more.

« Reply #83 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:19:09 am »
It's a shame that they're not making them any longer because my Howies Long Way Home jacket worked brilliantly for me over the weekend. It managed not to get too sweaty on the inside while keeping out all of the rain that it was subjected to. My only complaint is that the rear pocket is mesh lined so water and dirt does eventually get swept up and into it. Luckily I only keep money in there and then in a plastic bag.
I particularly like the length of the jacket and the high collar.
I should also say that my Goretex Paclite overtrousers performed well, but they don't appear to be as breathable.

Like Biggsy though, I only wear a waterproof when it's actually raining. The rest of the time I use windproof tops.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 01 December, 2009, 04:08:41 am »
I usually have the opposite problem from Biggsy - jackets which claim to be waterproof are not, even when brand new.

But I get your point and it's valid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #85 on: 01 December, 2009, 05:19:14 pm »
Not much use now, but my personal fav. jacket is my "Ventilator" Goretex jacket made by Europe Bound. It's 8 now years old, but still the business. AFAICT they don't make it (or any other cycle jackets) any more though. Boo.

It so happens I was eyeing up the Gore Xenon Race II as the modern equivalent. Shame they don't do it in girly fit as it might have made a nice candidate festive gift for a certain thing.... !

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #86 on: 01 December, 2009, 05:33:37 pm »
Just put an order in for this at
   dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Cycling Jacket Only £119.99

It was with 20 quid off and our extra frequent flyer miles or what ever they call the discount we have over there, so not a bad price.

So let see how it handles.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #87 on: 01 December, 2009, 05:54:06 pm »
Two of the people I met at the pub today were wearing very light French windproofs, with the FFCT name on them. Perhaps I should have asked where they got them, but I suspect it was on visits to FFCT events in France.

I was OK with the Frosty Boy over a base layer today.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #88 on: 01 December, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »

It was with 20 quid off and our extra frequent flyer miles or what ever they call the discount we have over there, so not a bad price.

It looks almost identical to the Gill eVent jacket I got from Wiggle last year (in fact a bit of googling suggests it has been rebadged as dhb).

It's been great this autumn and has done exactly what it says in the tin.  Very breathable and has kept me dry in heavy showers.

« Reply #89 on: 02 December, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
I have the women's version of the Frosty Boy and don't really like it. It's too bulky and I can't get it on and off easily.

I'm having a lot of success with a cheap Aldi merino base layer, a cheapo M&S fleece and a Gore Tex waterproof on top. Toasty!

« Reply #90 on: 02 December, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »
Frosty Boy?

Sounds GGRRRRRREEAAAT!

IGMGT*

*I'll get my Gore Tex, issa coat innit ;D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #91 on: 03 December, 2009, 09:27:58 am »
Yesterday's Biblical deluge gave my Night Vision Evo its first proper test, not a drop of moisture came through.  Highly delighted.

Mind you, Night Vision jackets are very visible and  could get you ostracised on some internet forums for letting the side down  ;)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #92 on: 04 December, 2009, 10:20:05 am »

Its a nice jacket. Keeks has one. The only problem I have is that it doesn't have any pockets otherwise I'd have bought one. That and the fact that there was no way Condor could have got hold of one for me on the BTW scheme.

I was perfectly dry in my Montane Stormrider eVent jacket on the recent FNRTTC and that was a very very wet night.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #93 on: 04 December, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
Yesterday's Biblical deluge gave my Night Vision Evo its first proper test, not a drop of moisture came through.  Highly delighted.

Mind you, Night Vision jackets are very visible and  could get you ostracised on some internet forums for letting the side down  ;)

That's good to hear.  I ordered one off Wiggle last week (but I've got to wait for new stock unfortunately).
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #94 on: 25 February, 2010, 01:32:57 pm »
I've just ordered a Night Vision Evo frmo Cycle Express. £75 price tag and reduced further by their 10% discount on orders over £50. I paid £67.49. I'm not a great fan of hi-viz for normal being seen after dark use - that's why I have an array of very bright lights -  but I do want other road users to be able to see my signals because they are very elegantly executed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #95 on: 25 February, 2010, 01:47:37 pm »
I've just ordered a Night Vision Evo frmo Cycle Express. £75 price tag and reduced further by their 10% discount on orders over £50. I paid £67.49. I'm not a great fan of hi-viz for normal being seen after dark use - that's why I have an array of very bright lights -  but I do want other road users to be able to see my signals because they are very elegantly executed.

pirouetted?
inna toutou?
 8)

there may b a lota spelen mistakz in this threed

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #96 on: 25 February, 2010, 02:27:34 pm »
I mainly use my Freestyle Elite Goretex XCR jacket.

Cost a fortune (Greenbank's £120 sounds cheap) but it was worth it.  I wish I'd used it on PBP, I used a more lightweight jacket and got a lot colder than on LEL where I did use it.

Freestyle don't seem to make XCR jackets anymore
I had one for a few years, last big event I used it on was PBP
In the end oil stains rendered it useless

« Reply #97 on: 28 February, 2010, 04:02:48 pm »
Have you looked at Carradice rainwear?
no one seems to have mentioned us!

« Reply #98 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:40:57 am »
I've been seriously tempted by the duxback jackets - some good cycle-specific detailing without the usual fluoro approach.  Thank you for reminding me about them!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #99 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:48:10 am »
I have never seen Carradice rainwear in a bike shop.Pity.