Author Topic: A Shocking encounter  (Read 2853 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
A Shocking encounter
« on: 13 May, 2008, 12:24:58 pm »
I had my first really close shave in a LONG time this morning. Its amazing how fleeting these incidents can be.
I was bombing along the Chesterfield bypass between the Tesco roundabout and the Chesterfield Hotel Bridge at about 24mph when I suddenly felt a wallop on my right shoulder - a WMV had passed me close enough at about 60 mph to flip back his rear view mirror (which had hit me)
During the subsequent dazed wobble (at speed) I did notice the van had "P.K. Electrical" emblazoned on the back (although that's not really an excuse for such shocking driving) but was going too fast to read the number plate.
I gave chase but lost him at the next (Donkin) Roundabout.
I telephoned the company manager who seemed genuinely shocked and promised to look into it.
I think I will follow up the phone call with a friendly letter.
Despite  this incident, I am still of the opinion that cycling is safe enough as a form of transport and will continue pro tem. In over 35 years of cycling, this is the first incident I have ever had on an open road of a driver clipping me from behind. Amazingly, I did/do not feel shaky or distressed about it - the incident was too fleeting.
I will feed back any reply I get from the company concerned...

Be careful and safe out there people.

Re: An Shocking encounter
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »
Iwould have reported the incident to the police and insisted that a charge be bought otherwise some other innocent cyclist might find himself in the same situation at some point in the future.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: A Shocking encounter
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:34:48 pm »
Iwould have reported the incident to the police and insisted that a charge be bought otherwise some other innocent cyclist might find himself in the same situation at some point in the future.
No registration number. No witness. No broken arm. Did not fall off bike. "Did not happen??"
I think the direct approach to the company may produce better results this time....

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »
Both.  Use a pincer movement.  When the plod turn up at the office, the boss will take it more seriously.

Glad you're okay.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:41:09 pm »
If it's a dual carriageway, I expect the van was being overtaken itself and its driver didn't want to wait behind you.  And/or he was distracted or unfit for some reason.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

alan

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:28:14 pm »
If it's a dual carriageway, I expect the van was being overtaken itself and its driver didn't want to wait behind you.  And/or he was distracted or unfit for some reason.

That's a very tolerant viewpoint.

I am more inclined to believe that the driver is incapable or or unwilling to control two tons of steel at 60mph thus rendering a motor vehicle into a instrument with which to commit manslaughter,involuntary or otherwise.

Taking a cue from a thread elsewhere on the forum I believe that the re-introduction of birching may provide an incentive to respect the safety & well-being of others.

You may gather that I dont subcsribe to liberalism.

mr bunbury

« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
I got one of those a while ago.  I was on the A59 behind two friends on the final day of a tour, when I felt a wing mirror on my arm.  Guess what?  It was a white van.  The guy did actually stop and give us a "SMIDSY, you should wear more hi-viz stuff".  When we got into Harrogate, we took the train the rest of the way home, since we were rather shaken.

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:08:05 pm »
Glad you are ok pdm.

That was fuckin close.

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:33:22 pm »
I've heard annecdotes of pedestrians being killed by the wing mirrors of large vans and lorries.
It's not all that unlikely that the van driver never ever realised that he hit you.
I would tell the police though. If you think it will do any good. As has been said, it will convince the company to take it more seriously if the police are involved. Otherwise, i think it will just get swept under the carpet.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:38:17 pm »
Glad you are ok pdm.

That was fuckin close.

My thoughts entirely.