Author Topic: Low impact plyometrics  (Read 3463 times)

Low impact plyometrics
« on: 30 November, 2009, 11:36:31 am »
What do you do to increase your power ? My books say plyometrics, we used to do it in the olden days in the winter as part of the circuit training. Jumping essentially.

I can't jump now, I can't run. It hurts my rebuilt hip too much. Does low impact plyos really work for you ? What do you do ?

Re: Low impact plyometrics
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »
Increase your power for cycling? I'd suggest cycling would be good...

Particularly with your injury probs I can't rally see what benefit could be derived for the risk. You could perhaps look more at exercises for strengthening your core and holding you nice and stable on the bike (particularly with the hip) to ensure that all you're generating is going through the pedals.

« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2009, 02:51:33 pm »
You might like to try "powercleans" or the "jerk" phase of the clean and jerk - I suggest that clean and jerk is too easy for untrained users to get wrong, but the two pieces of it do give a very good power workout.

Less impact than with traditional plyometrics, but will build power pretty effectively.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:03:55 pm »
Particularly with your injury probs I can't rally see what benefit could be derived for the risk. You could perhaps look more at exercises for strengthening your core and holding you nice and stable on the bike (particularly with the hip) to ensure that all you're generating is going through the pedals.
I don't take any risks. I am already doing core strenght and stability exercises, have been for 18 months or so.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:08:29 pm »
What part of the jump can't you do?  A clean has quite a lot of jump in it.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:15:05 pm »
What part of the jump can't you do?  
The landing part, well, not without making my hip ache for 2 days. Running for a bus causes aches. One article I read suggested only jumping onto a box and not off to reduce the impact.

I agree that the jerk will probably be too aggressive. Dumbell lunges are OK though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »
You could give power cleans a try, they are nicely plyo, and if you keep the weight moderately light - under half bodyweight, say - then you don't need to bend too much on the catch while keeping plenty of explosive sproing on the lift.

(With heavy cleans you've got to get under 'em to catch them; with middleweight cleans you can fling it high enough to avoid that part)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »
For power, it is the weight and speed that does it.

Low reps with maximum weight for strength, slow movements

Lots of reps with low weights for endurance, even speed

For power - highish weights at least 20 reps, then repeat until for at least 3 cycles, then do another muscle group.  Each rep to be done as fast as possible, no rests between reps.

I used to do a lot of this when kayak training (my power was a bit pathetic). So my max lat pulldown was about 90kg - for power training I'd use 70-75 kg.

You have a hip injury, it ain't going to ever get better (I can sympathize, I have a damaged hip from a childhood disease, I can't do jumping either). I think you need either a weights bench or weights machine. If you have room at home, wait until about 3-6 weeks after xmas, then look for the 2nd hand, used once ones.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 30 November, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
I think you need either a weights bench or weights machine. If you have room at home, wait until about 3-6 weeks after xmas, then look for the 2nd hand, used once ones.
I do go to a gym two or three times a week.

« Reply #9 on: 08 December, 2009, 08:04:21 am »
What about some form of skating?  It's close to cycling in fitness specificity, but it's weight bearing and has much higher leg forces.  Definitely good for increasing power, and will use your hip flexors additionally.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:57:36 pm »
If you are determined to Plyo, a fairly safe type for cyclists is to jump (step/ hop etc) UP onto a box, then step carefully down- that way you get some benefit of the fast active effort and little or none of the "catching yourself"/landing/resisting/ eccentric type of work which is probably of little or no use for cyclists anyway.

I am presuming that you have a decent  strength training background and possibly a S&C coach?

Plyos are probably only relevant for match sprinters and other short distance riders...keirin, first lap team sprint etc- is this you?
Good luck,
S.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »
Plyos are probably only relevant for match sprinters and other short distance riders...keirin, first lap team sprint etc- is this you?
I got into Plyometrics for use in ball games - you're nearly always accelerating (and/or turning, stopping), then recovering. I don't do that stuff much any more.

What Scherritt says makes sense, but I'm thinking ...
If strength training is good for cyclists - all the pros are doing it now - surely plyos make even more sense? Like strength training, but dynamic, moving - this is what cycling is, it's not about holding a weight [if we ignore core stuff for now], or moving it slowly.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:03:44 pm »
My book 'Weightlifting for Cyclists', well a book that I own, not one that I've written talks about plyometrics which is why I am interested. What they say makes sense to me so I'd like to try it. I have heard about the 'jumping up, stepping down' idea before.