Author Topic: Margate - Anybody live there?  (Read 5131 times)

Margate - Anybody live there?
« on: 14 May, 2008, 11:35:03 am »
At some stage in the mid-term, I'll be moving back to the UK from Hungary. I'll have about 180-200K to spend on a house.

Now, I know all about the impending price fall in UK property, so I won't rush in just yet, but I'm amazed by what the money won't get me generally, and equally amazed by what it will get in Margate.

I'm a Midlands lad through & through and wary of anything darn sarf, but what is wrong with Margate & why is it so cheap there? Is it really depressed and a drug-addled den of sin? I'd love to be near the coast, but not if it's going to be a hellhole.

Any insights appreciated. The fact that Chas and Dave sang about the place obviously has alarm bells ringing!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Margate - Anybody live there?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:46:52 am »
It was also Ronnie Biggs' reason for giving himself up, apparently. He wanted to buy beer there. And of course Ian Dury rendez-voused with Janet Quite near the Isle of Fanet.

As a coast-dweller, I long to be inland. I reckon you'd be much better off in somewhere like Maidstone. Lovely countryside nearby, plenty of good Victorian terraced houses in your price range and good communications.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »
Margate is, I believe, where Tracy Emin came from.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:02:26 pm »

I'm not sure if that's recommending Margate as a cradle of creativity or filth  :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »
... and so did my wife!

(My wife and Tracy Emin are not the same person.)

Actually Thanet and Margate are suffering an identity Crisis with no "London day trippers" these days and no holidaymakers because they are all abroad it is becoming neglected and run down.

It is a nice enough area once you get out into the lanes around Deal, Sandwich, Reculver etc and has good communications with Canterbury, London etc

Who knows if they decide to develop it could be a shrewd move buying in this area

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:08:32 pm »
Due mostly to the Daily Hate, that part of Kent is perceived as being full of bogus scrounging asylum seeking donkey-rapers, thereby depressing property prices something rotten.  It's supposed to be on the up, inasmuch as anywhere is in BRITAIN at the moment.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:15:43 pm »
It's a looong way from anywhere...
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:24:40 pm »
It is a nice enough area once you get out into the lanes around Deal, Sandwich, Reculver etc and has good communications with Canterbury, London etc

I'll second that contention.
I rode NCN1 Canterbury East to Sandwich recently. It follows some lovely lanes, I don't think we encountered more than perhaps 1/2 a dozen cars.
It's also a great area for costal rides.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:28:31 pm »
Speaking as someone who lived in the area till 2002, and was a regular in Margate, it is a shithole. A friend moved upmarket to Folkestone....
The area around it, however, is my favourite cycling area in the whole of Southern England. Rolling ups and downs, quiet lanes, bridleways.....

bikenerd

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:54:14 pm »
I'd rather live in North Wales.  Good access to the coast, good train links to Chester then on to Brum or Manchester.
Actually, I'd rather live anywhere BUT the south east.  Oxford just about counts and I've been here too long.  I always get cold shivers when I have to go to Reading for work and everything beyond there is just an incomprehensible sprawl.
Yours truly, a Lancashire boy.
Erm, I've never been to Margate, btw.  I just have a chip on my shoulder about the south east. ;)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2008, 04:27:02 pm »

Reason enough for an Airstrike I would have thought.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2008, 04:33:45 pm »

I'm glad you clarified that.  People were already starting to talk.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Nick H.

« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »
As TT says, it's a shithole. I used to live in the neighbouring town of Ramsgate and owned a flophouse full of winos and junkies in Margate.

One reason it's such a dump is that the train to London takes 2 hours, so there are almost no commuters. What you're left with is chavs, retirees and asylum seekers. Next year there are supposed so be some fast (150 mph?) commuter trains operating to Folkestone via Ashford. Some Margate services also go via Ashford, so the theory is that the new trains could cut the journey time by about 20 minutes. This is why many investors have been buying in Margate over the last few years. (Believe it or not, prices used to be much, much lower.)

Shopping down there has improved slightly with a new shopping centre on the way to Ramsgate which even has an M&S in it. And a TK Maxx! Ramsgate has a Waitrose, but the product range is slanted towards the wrinklies; lots of tinned vegetables.

The beaches are good, the countryside nearby is good, restaurants are crap except  for a Thai one in Ramsgate. Health services seem dreadful to me...you can check schools for yourself. There's an airport but it went bust along with the budget airline which served it. I think all they have there now is freight and training flights.

All the bright young people leaving the area.  Anyone with qualifications leaves. Only the chavs stay.

The plus side is that, as TT says, the countryside between Thanet and Canterbury is unspoiled - real 'Darling  Buds of  May' stuff.  And Ramsgate harbour is fairly fantastic. And there's one of the UK's more highly thought of wheelbuilders in Ramsgate. Forgotten his name - builds wheels for Poshbikes.

Struggling to think of a highlight in Margate though. They were going to build one - an art gallery - the Turner centre I think. It was going to be IN THE SEA and do for Margate what the Tate did for St. Ives. But they ran out of money.

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:29:11 am »

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:54:13 am »
Quote from: Ripley in 'Aliens'
...take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(And no, I've never been there.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »

I'm glad you clarified that.  People were already starting to talk.

Come on people........................

I do have some taste........

Re: Maidstone - Anybody live there?
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:12:15 pm »
Well, the thread has not been a ringing endorsement of Margate...

I've lived in some dumps (Handsworth, Birmingham, for example - actually not that bad), but I have 3 kids, so I'll consider it a no-go.

Now, someone mentioned Maidstone. Isn't there a prison there? Possible career change???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »
My daughter lives in Maidstone and I have come to know it quite well over the last two years or so.

There is a prison there, but the walls are strong, and a station called Maidstone Barracks.

The river Medway is very nice in places, and it is close to orchards, but the riverside, which could be full of lovely cafés and stuff, is too often lined with B & Q type establishments. There's a big park (MOte Park) but I' not been there.

You are much close to London with quite a bit of choice of train, there being two lines which serve the town. M20 isn't far away, neither is the M2.

It's about 30 minutes' drive from the Dartford Tunnel.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:36:28 pm »

It's about 30 minutes' drive from the Dartford Tunnel.

Except at the times you need it to be! But agreed, Maidstone is a bit nicer. As are Sittingbourne and Canterbury.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:02:12 pm »
My daughter lives in Maidstone and I have come to know it quite well over the last two years or so.

There is a prison there, but the walls are strong, and a station called Maidstone Barracks.

Theres also Maidstone East and West too.  We occasionally visit Maidstone, as we are in Gillingham.  Maidstone is a nice town, very busy and loads of shopping centres.

Wibble

« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »
Maidstone is a bit nicer. As are Sittingbourne and Canterbury.

Shittingbourne should in no way be described as nicer.  It's less bad than Margate, but we're comparing turds here.

« Reply #21 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:26:02 pm »
Mr Mac went on a stag do to Margate. It had been chosen as an ironic venue for a bit of seaside sleaze. It was so unbelievably more awful than they could have imagined that no-one spoke much and they came back to London a few hours after a couple of pints and a terrible chippy.

He still trembles to think of it.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #22 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:32:21 pm »
I was born in Sittingbourne and, after a 25 year absence, moved back here 12 years ago. It's not as bad as Margate. Which, in turn, is not as bad as Gillingham where a mate of mine (he's 6' 7" and 20 stone but had  2 small kiddies in tow) was robbed at knifepoint by 3 locals (probably) in the middle of the day in the High Street. No-one batted an eyelid.

I'd probably rather move somewhere else but my mum, who is 88, lives just round the corner, so we're here until the inevitable happens (my heart attack probably  ;D ).

Actually I would probably consider moving to Planet Fanet. Cheapish seaside stuff appeals. It helps considerably to know what and where to avoid.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #23 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:49:02 pm »
...is not as bad as Gillingham where a mate of mine...

This makes me very glad I didn't take a job in Gillingham that I was offered (albeit over 20 years ago!)
Actually, it is rocket science.