Author Topic: An argument in favour of "lawyer lips"  (Read 5763 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
An argument in favour of "lawyer lips"
« on: 08 December, 2009, 10:55:17 pm »
Some tosser *at work* decided it would be a lark to loosen my front wheel today. It felt odd when I wheeled it from the racks. Thought the headset bearings might be going loose, so put the front brake on (disk) and rocked it back and forward. But the brake held the wheel, so it felt OK.

On the bike, and over a couple of bumps, and it was rattling. Probably went about three hundred yards up a hardcore path before I realised what was wrong. Without the lawyer lips, I'd probably have lost some teeth  :(

Now given that the bike racks are in a secure area, away from general public. This means it has been done by someone who works at the same site. I'm still trying to get my head around how someone can be such a total FUCKING WANKER!!!  >:( >:( >:(

border-rider

Re: An argument in favour of "lawyer lips"
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »
Lucky escape.  I'm glad you're OK

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »
By "same site" would that automatically be "same organisation"?

I'd certainly report it. There may well be some CCTV footage.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:02:11 pm »
I assume there are no CCTV cameras in the area? Ask other cyclists if they saw anything suspicious?

tonycollinet

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:04:13 pm »
Same site, same organisation - one factory.

It will be reported (round about Feb this year a friend came of his bike on the A34, cos someone had adjusted his brakes so they were rubbing. Loss of traction as he turned off caused his front wheel to go away from him.) Organisation takes it very seriously. Said they would put cameras on, but I think it was on the other bike racks. Still - if there is a camera, I'll be asking for the tapes.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:04:21 pm »
Report it at work.  
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:05:36 pm »
This is why I always keep my bike in my office!

Glad it didn't go wrong though.

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:07:54 pm »
One of the forum legal bods may be able to advise but IIRC there is an offence of interfering with a vehicle's safety (but I may be wrong).  It might be worth pointing that out at work.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:42:50 pm »
I have on one occasion forgotten to do up the front QR. Reason: sheer stupidity absent-mindedness. No lawyers' lips on any of my bikes. The wheel didn't come out.

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2009, 06:48:49 am »
I know it's after the event but swap the QR skewers for allen key ones.   Not quite so easy to just flip, a bit more secure and thus maybe just a bit safer?

The mentality of a moron or opportunist thief seems to extend to flipping a QR lever but not to getting an allen key or multitool out of his bag and undoing the skewer.   I know we see pictures of stripped frames hanging form railings but I'd suggest that generally the vultures go equipped.   

+1 re the security cameras.   If you don't ask you don't know.   

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2009, 07:25:59 am »
Is it likely to be just some general tosser or could there be someone at work who has a personal dislike to you, for whatever reason? In which case you might already have an idea who it could be, though obviously you can't really do anything without proof.

I'd second the allen ky skewer suggestion. They cost about 16quid IIRC.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2009, 07:49:02 am »
One of the forum legal bods may be able to advise but IIRC there is an offence of interfering with a vehicle's safety (but I may be wrong).  It might be worth pointing that out at work.
I believe it's a criminal offence of tampering with a vehicle.

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2009, 07:51:47 am »
I believe it's a criminal offence of tampering with a vehicle.

I thought that as well, but I have a feeling that in that context it's to do with TWOCing or preparing to TWOC.

Green Party Councillor

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2009, 08:11:49 am »
In Oxford about ten years ago there were regular thieves who would look for a bike locked up by the front wheel, just taking a wheel from another bike nearby.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2009, 08:22:21 am »
I thought that as well, but I have a feeling that in that context it's to do with TWOCing or preparing to TWOC.
It's more to do with vandalising and leaving the vehicle with a fault, especially a dangerous one like the OP's.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:33:15 am »
Lawyer lips are the most stupid invention of a whole heap of steaming idiocy in the world of cycling in the last twenty years.

As Ian points out, the wheel is not much more likely to come out.  When I was younger & unused to qr, I managed 20miles into the Peaks with a bit of roughstuff thrown in with a qr open :-[

Now, though, I do a quick visual check of my bike - brakes, tyres, qrs - before getting on it.  If your bike park is badly lit, that can be tricky, but it's always worth finding out sooner rather than later.

All that said, I think it's a really unpleasant thing to do, and I hope the scrote concerned meets a suitably kammic fate.  And I'm very glad you're OK. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:13:32 am »
Those moaning about 'lawyer lips' on a disk-brake equipped bike need to do a google search on the issue. 
Plenty of evidence stating that the braking force on a disk attached to the lower fork leg using standard mountings, has the effect of cantilevering the bike away from the QR. Potentially leading to the afore-mentioned loss of teeth (if not worse).

I'd be scared to ride my MTB without the damn lawyer lips.  I fall off it enough as it is, without throwing extra hazards into the mix.
Sheep we're off again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:20:18 am »

I think this law is quoted at the back of the Highway Code, BICBW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:30:26 am »
When I was younger I managed 20miles into the Peaks with a bit of roughstuff thrown in

Now you are just boasting...  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
I don't agree Clarion.  

There is a proven and substantive risk to the cyclist if a 'failure' causes rapid ejection of the front wheel where disk brakes are in use.   I'd rather have such a simple extra bit of risk mitigation than expensive and extensive dental surgery.   None of my machines that don't have disk brakes have lawyers lips.   And, they can be quickly and easily filed down.   I'd rather have the choice, just like the choice to don a H****t.      

What is stupid is the behaviour of the idiot who flipped the qr open.      

« Reply #20 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:35:55 am »
Those moaning about 'lawyer lips' on a disk-brake equipped bike need to do a google search on the issue. 
Plenty of evidence stating that the braking force on a disk attached to the lower fork leg using standard mountings, has the effect of cantilevering the bike away from the QR. Potentially leading to the afore-mentioned loss of teeth (if not worse).

I'd be scared to ride my MTB without the damn lawyer lips.  I fall off it enough as it is, without throwing extra hazards into the mix.

+1
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:36:23 am »
p.s. what are the chances of someone's trouser leg/pannier having accidentally caught and opened the QR?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 09 December, 2009, 11:45:10 am »
I'd missed the mention of discs :-[

That does change things.

But I've come across plenty of bikes without discs where 'quick release' is no longer so, and it's a PITA to have to adjust the tension every damn time...
Getting there...

tonycollinet

« Reply #23 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:43:32 pm »
For clarification - the QR was closed, not open.

When I left the bike in the morning, it was fine. When I picked it up in the evening, the wheel was loose enough to rattle in the dropouts. As I wheeled it out of the shed I felt somthing wrong - so I am pretty certain I'd have noticed in the morning also.

If it didn't come loose on its own (and I can't think how), then someone has opened the QR, unscrewed a turn or so, and then closed the QR again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 09 December, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »
That's even worse - not just someone flipping it, or even (conceivably) catching it accidentally as they get their own bike out.  That's got to be malicious.

I do hope you find out who it was.  It may be something personal against you, or it may be some nut who's been doing it to other bikes.

Personally, I might find a different place to park.  Of course, I speak from the luxury of being able to keep a bike in an upstairs office.
Getting there...