Linked Events

• Gentle weekend Norfolk tour: 27 June, 2008 - 29 June, 2008

Author Topic: Gentle weekend Norfolk tour June (NEW DATE 28-29 June), want to join?  (Read 63831 times)

I am thinking of going for a weekend of touring in Norfolk 6-8 June, probably staying in a cheap and cheerful B&B for a couple of nights.

I've never been touring before, it's not really my significant other's 'thing' and I'm not one to set off on my own. Teethgrinder has very kindly offered to come along and make sure I'm not lost in the Norfolk wilderness (look, I'm born and bred in London, everything outside the M25 is wilderness to me  ;)) but it would also be fun if others wanted to join and help 'guide' me, as I don't have any plans set in stone and would be open to suggestions.

Rough plan is to go up on the Friday afternoon and come back on the Sunday. I've found a B&B with secure cycle store for around £25 a night.

Gentle pace, lowish mileage (around 40 miles a day), and lots of pub and cake stops would be the order of the day. Maybe a dip in the sea if the weather is being nice.

Let me know if you are interested, I know it's very short notice but it would be lovely to get a group together.

Re: Gentle weekend Norfolk tour 6-8 June, want to join?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:39:38 pm »
I'd be tempted but my sons are expecting us to go camping and walking round Coniston that weekend.  8)  Have fun though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
We are, I am afraid, committed to two rides in & around London that weekend - sorry. :(

Hope you have loads of fun.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »
Interest expressed.

You can elaborate on your plans as we walk up Ditchling,
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:26:15 pm »
This sounds like a good idea but the timing probably won't suit.

Firstly, the previous weekend I return from a week in Wales.

Secondly, I am contemplating a naked bike ride in Brighton on 7/6/08 but am awaiting confirmation from my partner in exhibitionism.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:48:20 pm »
I might be up for this, but will have to check closer to the time. 

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:02:46 pm »
Shame it clashes with other stuff for Polar Bear, Clarion and probably Wowbagger, but I know that's inevitable given the short notice  :(. Pleased to see some interest expressed though.  :)

Teethgrinder has suggested Kings Lynn as a good base; it'll do me as I will be relying on trains. It looks like we might go along the A419 for a bit; I do like being near the coast but also like visiting the odd quirky little museum type thing. But can be flexible, nothing set in stone as yet.

If anyone else wanted to travel up from London on the train, up to three others travelling with me can get a railcard discount.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »
Jan & I had a tandem ride from Sheringham to Southend in November, overnighting in Annie's.

You can get very cheap rail tickets to Norfolk from London and Southend. £6 each way as far as Sheringham. There's youth hostel there. The cheap tickets are not available to Kings Lynn. They are currently available on lots of trains on Fri 6th and Sunday 8th June.

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:21:06 pm »
I might be able to get out on the Sunday.

The A149 is not a great road to cycle. I ride round the Norfolk coast from Kings Lynn occasionally, and would suggest that you go by road out towards the docks and then pick up NCN 1 through North Wootton, Castle rising and Sandringham, up to near Hunstanton.

Again the coast road round North Norfolk is not great - twisty in places and fast angry traffic. again NCN 1 uses the back roads just inland, and you can always nip across to the coast for places of interest.

It's worth riding through the grounds of Holkham Hall, but be warned that it may be closed if they have a concert planned (none that weekend).

NCN 30 continues round the coast to Yarmouth, where you could head inland to Norwich for a return train (avoid the A47).

If you do follow my route, you'll be suprised how hilly Norfolk can be. You can buy a guide of the route from the Tourist Info Centre for about £2-50.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:36:59 am »

Secondly, I am contemplating a naked bike ride in Brighton on 7/6/08 but am awaiting confirmation from my partner in exhibitionism.

Had almost forgotten about that :-\

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:35:28 am »
I'd noticed the NCN route on the OS map, sounds good. I also thought Holkham Hall was worth a visit. Would be good if you could join us  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:40:19 am »

Had almost forgotten about that :-\

Do you want me to hold you to it? O:-)

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
+1 for what John said, we did a lot of NCN1 last year and it was lovely.   Getting the train to Sheringham and then pootling about sounds absolutely perfect.  Holkham hall is lovely, if you approach it from the south (near Branthill) - it's miles of downhill to the house, then downhill to the coast road which is pretty nasty, but tea and cake in Wells is very close.  I dont think I would have won many points if the route had gone the other way... :)

theres a cycling map of norfolks somewhere in one of the packing cases, I cant remember the name of it - 'gold' or 'silver' something. I'll see if i can find it in tonights unpacking.. 

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:49:39 am »
Be warned, there will be LOADS of cyclists out and about in Norfolk on the Sunday.  'Tis the Norwich 100/50 charity ride.  Always well subscribed.  ( and I am doing it again  :thumbsup:)

http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=162

Plus..Highly recomended food stop.  The Marsh tea Rooms at Holkham..Lovely home made goodies.

Si

« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:09:59 am »
I'd noticed the NCN route on the OS map, sounds good. I also thought Holkham Hall was worth a visit. Would be good if you could join us  :thumbsup:

We liked it - managed just shy of 40mph on the little road that goes into the rear  :thumbsup: 

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:19:37 pm »
If thetrainline is to be believed, going to Sheringham is actually significantly more expensive than going to KL for some reason. Also involves a change.

I don't understand trains very well.

Sorry to hear that road-runner. I will give more notice next time.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
I would love to but we're doing the tandem ride that weekend!

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:46:35 pm »
If thetrainline is to be believed, going to Sheringham is actually significantly more expensive than going to KL for some reason. Also involves a change.

I don't understand trains very well.

Don't worry.  Nor do the people who are supposed to run them. 

I've been a frequent train user for 30 years and still haven't fathomed out how the minds work that run the system  :(

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »
As stated previously KL is best avoided.  However there are stops before you get to KL that will serve just as well ( Watlington being a case in point ) and are on quiet back roads that will put you en route to your favoured destination.

« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:59:32 pm »
Hmmm.

I didn't mean to clash with the forum tandem ride (or indeed the Norwich sponsored ride mentioned upthread).

And have found out I'm not able to leave work early on the 6th as I have a meeting all afternoon that I cannot wriggle out of. I could still go, but would have to wait until after rush hour.

Out of interest how is the rest of June looking for those who were interested? I know teethgrinder can't do 21st. What about the others (13-15 and 27-29)?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:00:47 pm »
15 June is the Suffolk Ride.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:02:51 pm »
That's useful to know, ta :)

Re: Gentle weekend Norfolk tour 6-8 June (not fixed date), want to join?
« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:26:40 pm »
I remembered: goldeneye maps.  http://www.goldeneyemaps.com/touring.php 

v. good.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: Gentle weekend Norfolk tour June (date not fixed), want to join?
« Reply #23 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:32:52 pm »
June is looking quite tough for me. 7th - already mentioned. 15th - Suffolk ride. 21st-22nd - not too bad. 28th-29th - Essex Windmill Ride and collect daughter from Uni.

For the cheap rail tickets, clicky.

Dave

Re: Gentle weekend Norfolk tour 6-8 June (not fixed date), want to join?
« Reply #24 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:35:09 pm »