Author Topic: 75 years ago today  (Read 1611 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
75 years ago today
« on: 14 December, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 75 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2009, 04:24:15 pm »
Also from the Nothing New Dept, Butterfly noticed a reference to Bicycle Polo (remember - invented by couriers, according to endless lazy press pieces) in the 1936 Clarion CC Handbook.
Getting there...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2009, 04:43:04 pm »
Also from the Nothing New Dept, Butterfly noticed a reference to Bicycle Polo (remember - invented by couriers, according to endless lazy press pieces) in the 1936 Clarion CC Handbook.

Devised in 1891 by an Irishman according to this article. So not long after the invention of the Safety Bicycle.

[Cue Hilldodger to say it was played on pennyfarthings in 1848].
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2009, 05:07:16 pm »
What was?

Britain's first cycle lane

Lane maybe, but not the first dedicated cycle path.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
The A40 lane received a "frigid welcome" from cyclists' groups, the Guardian noted in December 1934. They were worried that such innovations marked an attempt by a then-tiny minority, drivers, to push everyone else off the roads.
Unfortunately it doesn't say in what way motorists were then a tiny minority, and how, seeing as they were so few, they managed to "push everyone else off the roads." Simply by force majeure, or because they were a wealthy elite? Or because even then a burgeoning industry depended on them?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
Ever tried cycling alongside the A40 recently?  A part of my route to one of our offices takes in the cycle path between Perivale and Greenford.

It's a glass-strewn, overgrown, unkempt piece of crap and quite representative of the rest of the "facility", from Uxbridge up to White City.

I'll often choose to cycle in lane one instead.  It's not unusual that I'm the fastest thing on the road anyway...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2009, 09:10:44 am »
So what if the original 2.5m wide (I bet it was 8'3" actually  ;)) concrete lane had survived? Would it be good, would it worth using? Or would it also have become overgrown, cracked and full of glass and litter, through underuse, lack of maintenance, and general vandalism? What do people reckon?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2009, 12:56:31 pm »
If it is like the cycle paths alongside the A240 at Tolworth, then they will be fine on an MTB but dire on a road bike. Plus having to give way at every junction.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:05:30 pm »
Even 65 years ago, where I lived,  cycling lanes were quite unnecessary.

Those were the days of trams, Austin 7's, Morris Minors, Standard 9's, Riley Kestrels,, Wolsely Hornets? and lot's of cobbles. Most engines were side valve and hardly any cars could reach 60 mph in 5 minutes :D  The posher people usually had a Rover, Daimler or Jaguar.

Our coal was delivered by horse and cart and milk by a small electric vehicle.

Hence cycling and cycle racing were an absolute pleasure.

And the Copper's wore a big hat.

I could go on of course............
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »
Even 65 years ago, where I lived,  cycling lanes were quite unnecessary.

Our coal was delivered by horse and cart and milk by a small electric vehicle.

In 65 years time if we're lucky things will be delivered by horse and cart and milk by a small electric vehicle. Coal will be exhibited in museums like diamonds are today.