Author Topic: Marlborough Connection 2010  (Read 7542 times)

D0m1n1c Burford

Marlborough Connection 2010
« on: 15 December, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
Joolz and I are arranging to ride the Marlborough Connection next year some time in February. This is run as a perm and not a calendar event. We rode it last year, and managed to get a decent turnout of other riders.

I'll have a better idea of dates nearer the time, but likely to be early to mid February.

Weirdy Biker

Re: Marlborough Connection 2010
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:41:17 pm »
I'm interested in this, and provided it isn't on 20 Feb (I've entered Mad Jack Fuller 100km) would like to ride it with you all if that's ok.  February is a particularly sparse month for 200s around my neck of the woods and I was going to be relying on DIYs/perms to keep up the mileage.

Marlborough Connection is a fine route that ranked highly in the "FY Top Rides" list of, erm, top rides according to me.

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »
I would be interested in this again.  There were two groups that did it last year; I was in the earlier group which had to adjust the route a bit due to icy conditions.

This remains one of my favourite 200s - such a shame it's not run as a calendar event now.

BTW, does anyone know what John's up to now?  Is he on his way home, or has he put roots down on the other side of the world?

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:55:25 pm »
Me too. The ride with Phil d and Peter Marshall was one of my favourites last year, even if treacherously icy for the first half.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:19:39 pm »
BTW, does anyone know what John's up to now?  Is he on his way home, or has he put roots down on the other side of the world?

Last spotted in San Antonio, Texas.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »
Come one, come all...the more the merrier  :D

« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:38:47 am »
I've done this a couple of times as a winter Perm (starting and finishing in my home town of Wootton Bassett). As an observation, it was far more enjoyable doing it in reverse. If you've already done the ride before then I would reccomend giving it a go the otherway round. Certainly a far more enjoyable traverse of the Ridgeway in both directions.

Also, if the weather is bad, or has been recently bad, you might fare better coming both in and out of Hungerford via Chilton Foliat. I seem to remember that the climb out of Eastbury and the minor road descent into Hungerford being pretty rough as far as road surface was concerned.

Aside from that, if you find the Tutti Pole Cafe busy, or fancy a change, there's a nice coffee shop on the same side of the road just beyond the rail bridge. Not quite the quaint country cafe but the food is good and the service was quick.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:42:01 am »
I've done this a couple of times as a winter Perm (starting and finishing in my home town of Wootton Bassett). As an observation, it was far more enjoyable doing it in reverse. If you've already done the ride before then I would reccomend giving it a go the otherway round. Certainly a far more enjoyable traverse of the Ridgeway in both directions.
Are you sure?!? I rode UP Hackpen Hill on 3 events this year. I have no wish to invent more opportunities thank-you-very-much.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bones

• Oh dear!
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:17:08 pm »
Are you sure?!? I rode UP Hackpen Hill on 3 events this year. I have no wish to invent more opportunities thank-you-very-much.
Should it be renamed "Pack(t)hen Hill"  :) I would be up for this if not working that weekend.
There are no steep hills - just puny legs and the wrong gears :D

« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »
It's not so much the climb up Hackpen Hill but the descent on the otherside. Going towards Marlborough the descent is long, straightish with clear visibility. More than good enough to make up for the time spent grinding past the White Horse.

« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2009, 09:52:18 pm »
Oh yes, unless the wind is against you  ::-)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:21:28 pm »
I will ride if it is not too cold or too windy.

Oh and I feel like it on the day and I am not too tied.

So yes count me in with a large number of caviats.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:47:57 am »
MattC and I rode this yesterday (2nd Jan), eventually making it round in 13.5 hours... (just inside time, I think). Weather was good (sunny, light wind), but the roads were icy in places which made for a rather nervous ride. We both came down just before Lechlade on a mahoosif sheet of ice from field run-off. No major injuries, but no confidence in the road afterwards! If there had been a station in Lechlade, we'd both have been on the train!
After Lechlade (and sunset), we re-routed onto main roads (A361, A40 and A44) to avoid the ice. Longer route, but definitely quicker given the conditions (and ice free). The crawl down to Gt Barrington to get the info was 'fun'...

Pleased we finished, but overall, with hindsight, probably shouldn't have bothered...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2010, 12:43:40 pm »
In case anyone's out there in the near future, the piste was here:

Google Maps

(I think it was the first crossroads, but the 2nd is very similar)

It's amazing how much time it costs tip-toeing around - the Hackpen/Broad Town bit must have cost many minutes by itself.

The only other ice around was in the gutter (sometimes 2-3'!), or in dodgy spots like underpasses, where you would expect a poblem. But then we did miss out most of the lanes after dark. It's just pot-luck isn't it?

This route seems a bad fit to dodgy conditions, because the infos force you into dodgy sections. But it was lovely on the dryer bits.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »

It's amazing how much time it costs tip-toeing around

it is

Manotea and I, three years ago before Christmas on a very icy and cold day, were route-checking the Willy Warmer.  It took us about 11 hours to do 150k, at which point we abandoned.

« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »
Well done both you nutters heros!  Glad to hear of 100% survival rate.  If you're under 14 hrs then you're in time.

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »
For anyone who is interested, the date that seems to be cropping up as the most convenient seems to be February 13th for this event.

So for all those who would like to ride the Marlborough Connection 200 as a perm, the start will be the public car park in Woodstock at 8am.

The more the merrier. Last year we had fantastic weather, and a very relaxed and leisurely ride was had by all.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #17 on: 17 January, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »
Entry in the post, see you mid-Feb  :thumbsup:

PS: I also included an entry for the Cheddar Gorge.  I'm likely to ride it in August, just like the previously run calendar event, should anyone be interested.

« Reply #18 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »
I'll sort out my entry in the next couple of days, and hope to be there on 13/2

Cheddar Gorge in August is a possibility.

« Reply #19 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
Hello,

I'm in for Saturday the 13 Feb, as long as there is no snow or ice.

See you soon folks,

Joolz

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »
Cotswold Corker that day, otherwise I might join you.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:12:22 am »
Thinking of doing this. I have entered The Old Squit calendar event already, but now thinking Norwich is a little far to go (over 3 hrs drive) wheras I can be past Oxford in an hour or so.

I'll probably pop an entry in over the next day or two.  :thumbsup:

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »
Norwich

AKA Deliverance country.  Squeel little piggie  :demon:

« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »
Bumping this up again.  My entry is in the post, so weather permitting I'll be at Woodstock at 0800 on 13/2.

Not planning to break any records - the route is too pleasant to rush.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »
I received the routesheet last week.  Weather permitting I'll also be there 0800 on 13/2.