Author Topic: CTC - change to membership charity  (Read 118883 times)

Re: CTC - change to membership charity
« Reply #725 on: 27 May, 2010, 11:06:00 pm »
Well, if you're choosing the chair as your proxy, you could read it as "I support the leadership - please do what you think best", couldn't you?

There's a nasty whiff of "they didn't vote the way we wanted" in these comments.

gordon taylor

« Reply #726 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:00:13 am »
Well, if you're choosing the chair as your proxy, you could read it as "I support the leadership - please do what you think best", couldn't you?

Thanks drossall, I was trying to say that but couldn't find those words in my brain.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #727 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:31:40 am »

There's a nasty whiff of "they didn't vote the way we wanted" in these comments.
Nah, I don't feel that strongly about it, although I did vote against.  I get so little from the CTC in return for my £30-something a year that it can't get much worse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #728 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:30:13 am »

Nah, I don't feel that strongly about it, although I did vote against.  I get so little from the CTC in return for my £30-something a year that it can't get much worse.

You might end up getting a lot less...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #729 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:40:47 am »

+1
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

« Reply #730 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:46:36 am »

+1

I respect those who chose the Chair as their proxy and who put some thought into the way that they voted - or who understood the way that the Chair would vote.

However, there was a concerted campaign by CTC National Office to simply get people to fill in their details and tick the box for the Chair to be their proxy.  I'm fairly sure that many of those people may not have taken the time to read up on the issues or discuss them on fora such as this - in fact, it was clear from the emails sent out by National Office on this tactic that people weren't to be asked to consider the issues, but merely to assign their votes to the Chair.

Even though I may not agree with their conclusions, I respect and would not seek to disparage those who considered all the options and voted for the proposals.

Green Party Councillor

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #731 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:53:21 am »
There was a concerted campaign by CTC to encourage people to see the positive sides, but there was IMO no more encouragement to assign votes to the Chair than usual.  There is always a thing that says you can assign your vote to the Chair if you want, and I'm sure for a lot of people who can't attend, don't use the internet and don't have CTC friends who will be proxies, that's helpful. 

Regulator

« Reply #732 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:56:24 am »
There was a concerted campaign by CTC to encourage people to see the positive sides, but there was IMO no more encouragement to assign votes to the Chair than usual.  There is always a thing that says you can assign your vote to the Chair if you want, and I'm sure for a lot of people who can't attend, don't use the internet and don't have CTC friends who will be proxies, that's helpful. 

Sorry Julian - but there was and we have the emails to prove it.  CTC staff in the field were being asked to get the votes of 10 members a day and to get them to 'vote with one tick' without asking members to read up on the issues.  Many staff refused to get involved in such a campaign.

The 'One Tick' (and leave it all to the chair) campaign was also run on the CTC web-site.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #733 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:02:29 pm »
I believe that would be true, though the pro camp were denying it.  A charity is not allowed to give significant benefit to its members, or it breaches its status.
Getting there...

« Reply #734 on: 17 June, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
Looking at the price of the CTC tours now, I wouldn't say they were a benefit.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #735 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:57:40 am »
I see next year's AGM will be in Weymouth, so not quite as easily accessible as this year's event.

I wonder what motions will be on the Agenda?  :demon:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #736 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:05:58 am »
I see next year's AGM will be in Weymouth, so not quite as easily accessible as this year's event.

FFS that's bloody ridiculous.  >:(
a great mind thinks alike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #737 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
*no idea where Weymouth is*
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #738 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:54:45 am »
South, from here.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #739 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:10:23 am »
Bottom of Dorset.

It's all a massive conspiracy, you know.  The Men In Suits, none of whom have ever been seen on a bicycle, have held a number of closed-door seekrit meetings, where they wear sunglasses in a menacing manner and discuss how best to annoy Regulator destroy the entire cycling infrastructure.  All of them are lizard men and they came straight to earth from the chem trails in the sky.  They chose Weymouth as the most inaccessible place to continue with their plans of Seekrit Destruktion, knowing that few CTC members will be able to take time out from their busy cityboy lives to pootle down to one of the most beautiful places in England for a weekend's AGM and laney pleasant rides.  

Yet their seekriteevil plans have again been discovered by the wit and might of YAPF.  A place as inaccessible as Weymouth, a whole 2 hours 38 minutes from the hidden backwaters of London Waterloo by train, 3 hours from the little-known village of Paddington, or 3 hours 25 from Newport, sticks out like a sore thumb when we take into account that previous AGMs have been held in central venues such as Belfast, a mere 24 hour journey from the capital, Chester and Cardiff.

Rumbled!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #740 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:13:09 am »
It did cross my mind that last year's venue would have been better for seekrit shenanigans.

Though, not to undermine your levity, there was a speshul seekrit meeting of (Part Of) the Council before the AGM at Luffbra.  The Executive really are, well, a bit shit.
Getting there...

« Reply #741 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:15:33 am »
At a guess Weymouth is offering accommodation and conference facilities at a good price in the run up to it being the base for the sailing events in the 2012 Olympics.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #742 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:18:01 am »
At a guess Weymouth is offering accommodation and conference facilities at a good price in the run up to it being the base for the sailing events in the 2012 Olympics.

Maybe they want some practice with large, rowdy events with crowd control and public order issues to deal with!  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #743 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:38:20 am »
Will the accommodation be up to Commonwealth Games standard?

I imagine the Chairing of the meeting will be... :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #744 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

I imagine the Chairing of the meeting will be... :-\

Do you really think there will be that much improvement?
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #745 on: 24 September, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »
;D  Only if he's read the Constitution by then!
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #746 on: 24 September, 2010, 04:36:08 pm »
Whilst Weymouth may only be 3 hours from Londinium, allowing the joy of a longish day trip out from the smoke, it is a rather long way from parts further north. It seems that all trips go via London, making it a mere 10h each way for me.

Can we propose somewhere scenic like Kenmore for the next one?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #747 on: 24 September, 2010, 04:38:34 pm »
Whilst Weymouth may only be 3 hours from Londinium, allowing the joy of a longish day trip out from the smoke, it is a rather long way from parts further north. It seems that all trips go via London, making it a mere 10h each way for me.

Can we propose somewhere scenic like Kenmore Comrie for the next one?

:thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #748 on: 24 September, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »

[Veering OT]
It appears to me that the Commonwealth Games accommodation was built to a good spec then sabotaged by jealous resentful locals who had a grudge against Rich Visitors.
Tourists in Weymouth are generally no richer than the locals so won't be resented.
[OT]

I'd imagine accommodation would be fine, if pricy.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #749 on: 24 September, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »

Can we propose somewhere scenic like Kenmore for the next one?

Can we propose somewhere scenic like Kenmore Comrie for the next one?

:thumbsup:

You two are lizard plants, aren't you?  I see it all now:  the CTC motion "to discourage all cyclists from ever cycling and to sanction an annuity to SafeSpeed" will be held at a remote Scottish village, won't it.