Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 1472251 times)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20950 on: January 15, 2020, 12:17:19 pm »
Last night I met another cyclist* on the cycle path with lights so bright and badly aligned I had to stop to clear the artifacts from my damaged retinas.

Can I use the stalking power of strava flyby to suggest to Simpy Snowflake that their balance between lights to see, and not being a dick, is perhaps not correct?

*I assume it was a cyclist, the pattern of lights suggested Provis jacket, head torch and 3 headlights, and their strava profile picture looks a lot like a bloke on a bike.

I encountered one before Christmas, three super-bright lights, one on flash, all face-on so nothing approaching could see anything.

And if you managed to dodge those, he had another on top of his helmet.

Some people are just destined to be dicks.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #20951 on: January 15, 2020, 12:57:55 pm »
Can I use the stalking power of strava flyby to suggest to Simpy Snowflake that their balance between lights to see, and not being a dick, is perhaps not correct?

Yes.   Very much so in fact.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #20952 on: January 15, 2020, 08:38:43 pm »
Van driver going the other way this morning said 'I would want to cycle down there' and he was right but given the detour would be at least 5 miles a deeper than expected flood (up to BB deep) was worth going through.  The worst I have experienced in 10+ years.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #20953 on: January 15, 2020, 10:20:30 pm »
Went to a leaving do and stopped at my 2/3s home pizza café joint and found a guy who'd just finished his shift had a rear flat. Fixed it for him and swapped a good tube of mine for his flat one. He talked to his colleague and I got a free calzone. Score!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

fd3

« Reply #20954 on: January 18, 2020, 01:22:11 pm »
Calzone for innertube scandal!
[/I could be wrong]

fd3

« Reply #20955 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:48 pm »
ICE!  If this happens too many time I will have to budget for a trike.
[/I could be wrong]

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20956 on: January 20, 2020, 08:51:38 pm »
I’m feeling like somebody has made a voodoo doll after my third crash in three days, all losing the front wheel. Two were on Saturday morning on ice, so fair enough but this evening was on a roundabout and I was travelling only around 20kph. All falls in the same direction (just my luck) and the bruises and lost skin are starting to overlay each other.

Do Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres lose grip in low temperatures? The front tyre hasn’t been a problem till the recent cold weather, all three crashes were around zero degrees. The rear is a Voyager Hyper.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20957 on: January 20, 2020, 08:57:58 pm »
I rode in gingerly and walked a few unsalted bits.  A fixie is quite nice in these conditions because you have a really weak non-snatching brake facility.  My work colleague wiped out on a frosty corner and was Not Happy by the time he got in. Tomorrow looks like more of the same.
Never tell me the odds.

fd3

« Reply #20958 on: January 20, 2020, 11:15:28 pm »
Ice tyres out of the shed and fitted to second set of wheels (+ round one of de-molding, must do something about the shed ... probably ignore it) - ime the winter tyres don' t make a difference, but they do make me feel better (and work harder).
[/I could be wrong]

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #20959 on: January 21, 2020, 09:22:30 am »
Wheeled the bike to the main road as everything looked like ice and probably was ice.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #20960 on: January 21, 2020, 10:48:12 am »
Some side roads bad today.  One main road not gritted although it's supposed to be on the gritting route.  Bit of wheelspin.  Didn't need to walk much.
Never tell me the odds.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #20961 on: January 21, 2020, 11:00:29 am »
For some reason, I neglected to attempt to ride down the 25% hill outside The Asbestos Palace (even when it's damp, the rear wheel on the Brompton locks and you slide). The difference between water and ice in this circumstance being equivalent to between vertical and horizontal. Lots of panicking parents who hadn't allowed extra time to de-ice their cars before the school run, the weather evidently coming as a surprise. Clouds of pollution from cars left running to warm up.

At least the pressure of car tyres had de-iced the delights of the backed-up A22 so I was the fastest moving object on it.

Brompton took some targeted application of violence to fold at the station, the main hinge must have acquired some moisture and had impressively frozen solid.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #20962 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:43 pm »
Nice easy one: Early dentist appmt finished early so had plenty time to stroll in for the time I said I'd be in by.
Stopped for a few mins to watch some high-rise block of flats getting demolished by a brick-nibbler (is that a thing ?  Think that was in one of my sons books I used to to read him) Compulsive watching.  Nice to commute in daylight for a wee change.

« Reply #20963 on: January 21, 2020, 02:28:58 pm »
One of my SPDs froze while the bike was parked outside the shed, and was extremely reluctant to let me clip in.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #20964 on: January 21, 2020, 05:41:29 pm »
Hope it doesn't freeze while you're riding!

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #20965 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »
Meandered back via Tooting. They've redone the junction at the end of Figges Marsh removing the roundabout and replacing it with killer death lanes (I think, the whole affair is so poorly illuminated that you can't see the lane markings till you're on top of them). It's like something you'd think, even given the standards of modern road design, is straight out of the sixties. It doesn't even work, trafffic was snarled in every direction.

As far as I could tell, there's no consideration for pedestrians or cyclists, just an expanse of poorly demarcated gladiatorial road space. This is London in 2020.

It's quite astonishingly bad and all for slightly less than £1 million (I presume this included the budget for crayons).
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #20966 on: January 21, 2020, 09:28:06 pm »
2nd day of feeling smug.

Yesterday crashes on the M27 sent traffic onto my commute route over the top of Portsdown Hill (Emsworth - Botley), so I rode past queues of traffic into Wickham and at the lights further on.

Today crash at the junction with the A32 at Wickham had caused about 2 mile queue. Very glad to be on the bike (again).

Coupled with frosty sunny morning (minimum shown on Garmin was -5.5C), a good ride in. No ice around, but exercised caution on some of the lanes!

Amazingly, car drivers on this rural potential rat-run of a route are generally considerate (although I may be getting immune to what others might call close passes). When I'm filtering up the right, it's not uncommon for drivers to pull in to the left to let me past!  :)

bludger

« Reply #20967 on: January 21, 2020, 09:49:36 pm »
Eventful one this morning:

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #20968 on: January 22, 2020, 09:15:08 am »
Ah, Southwark's newest lido.
!nataS pihsroW

bludger

« Reply #20969 on: January 22, 2020, 01:27:51 pm »
Thankfully I'd done a winter audax on the Saturday so I was capable of dealing with the conditions ;D

fd3

« Reply #20970 on: January 23, 2020, 12:36:16 am »
Prepared for ice, got fog instead.  Ice tyre did nothing for the fog!
[/I could be wrong]