Author Topic: 80s Electronic Anthems  (Read 6821 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
80s Electronic Anthems
« on: 22 December, 2009, 06:42:22 pm »
61 of them all for under a tenner on iTunes (and probably elsewhere too) Ministry of Sound.

#"They must be out of their brilliant minds"
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: 80s Electronic Anthems
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »
Oooo, Yazoo - Situation  :thumbsup:
This looks a nice album, but nearly all those tracks/albumns I have already and I have vowed to stop buying 'The Best of' and 'Various' albums  :-\
I may make an exception though  :demon:

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:02:54 pm »
I got this from Mrs Father Christmas, as a 3 CD set; cost about 10 or 11 quid.  Now ripped to .flac ( (no lossy/proprietry formats for us) and sitting on the media server.

Yes we have quite a few of these tracks already, but some only as vinyl (eg Tainted Love 12") and there's enough stuff there we don't have to make it a nice thing to have :)

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »
Hmm... I foresee an iTunes download to replace the nasty "Greatest Christmas Songs Evah" double CD that makes an unwelcome appearance each year.

Also - 80's Electronica will really wind up the Teens  :thumbsup:  ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:08:00 pm »
Woo :) Purchased
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:15:28 pm »
was just looking at this myself, £9.99 on Play.com. Wait and see what santa brings me first I think.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:53:54 pm »
61 of them all for under a tenner on iTunes (and probably elsewhere too) Ministry of Sound.

#"They must be out of their brilliant minds"

I am known as the world's biggest Furniture fan.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:09:53 pm »
God there's a lot of shite on there too tho - 'Kiss Me' by Stephen Duffy :sick: , and M/A/R/R/S - is that really the 80's??
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
MARRS = brillint.  :P

« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »
Saw it in Hell's Music VendorTM, had a quick scan of the track listing, and figured I had just about all of it already.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #10 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:50:15 pm »
Ooohh, takes me and the wife back a few years.

Just had to buy it - downloading now  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2009, 09:33:54 am »
God there's a lot of shite on there too tho - 'Kiss Me' by Stephen Duffy :sick: , and M/A/R/R/S - is that really the 80's??

Oy, careful! Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy was a god in Brum in the early 80s! ;)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2009, 09:40:19 am »
I got this from Mrs Father Christmas, as a 3 CD set; cost about 10 or 11 quid.  Now ripped to .flac ( (no lossy/proprietry formats for us) and sitting on the media server.

Yes we have quite a few of these tracks already, but some only as vinyl (eg Tainted Love 12") and there's enough stuff there we don't have to make it a nice thing to have :)

+1 to almost all of that, she bought it as a christmas present then gave it to me early cos she wanted to listen to it too

(apart from using apple lossless instead of flac :))

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2009, 09:44:33 am »

Oy, careful! Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy was a god in Brum his own imagination in the early 80s! ;)

ITYM
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:42:14 am »
"Kids in America" - Kim Wilde??

an electronic pop anthem?  I don't think so

"We close our eyes" - Go West??

an electronic pop anthem?  I don't think so

Some good tracks but I've got the ones I want already.

Can people really not like "Pump Up the Volume"? 

"Pump Up the Volume" by M/A/R/R/S is by far the best track on the album.  There is a lot of shite on the album but this track (whilst I wouldn't say makes me think of 80's electronic) is a musical landmark.  It lays out a new set of rules just as "Pretty Vacant" did a decade earlier.

I still remember hearing it for the first time (TOTP with a, then, eye-boggling video).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:44:53 am »
Yup.  It wasn't my scene, but it sounded completely new, like nothing that had gone before.  Completely gobsmacking.
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 23 December, 2009, 05:03:34 pm »
I think I've bought my sister this compilation for Christmas.  I'm not unwrapping it to check, mind.

« Reply #17 on: 23 December, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
Yup. It wasn't my scene, but it sounded completely new, like nothing that had gone before.  Completely gobsmacking.

One of our gang, who tagged along, had a large "ghetto blaster" he rarely ventured out without it.
He was a total Depeche Mode and Yazoo nut.

It really pissed me off.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 23 December, 2009, 06:31:04 pm »
For non-Maccies "Anthems Electronic 80s: Ministry of Sound" is also available on Amazon MP3 download for £7.99   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #19 on: 24 December, 2009, 05:29:54 pm »
I like most of this album, and it was my commuting music for a couple of weeks. But listening again, and especially post-Synth Britannia, I'm reminded how basic the electronic music of the time was. Monophonic synths and not having racks of them (or simulated synthesisers in computers!) give a very "thin" sound that I wasn't aware of at the time, especially in the very early stuff.

Zoidburg

« Reply #20 on: 24 December, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9wPRdBP3Ro&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/d9wPRdBP3Ro&rel=1</a>

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #21 on: 24 December, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
Monophonic synths and not having racks of them (or simulated synthesisers in computers!) give a very "thin" sound that I wasn't aware of at the time, especially in the very early stuff.

Yes - true. The good songs still shine through though.

« Reply #22 on: 24 December, 2009, 05:46:02 pm »
Monophonic synths and not having racks of them (or simulated synthesisers in computers!) give a very "thin" sound that I wasn't aware of at the time, especially in the very early stuff.

Yes - true. The good songs still shine through though.

Oh yes, it's a bit like computer games where the early 80s ones had to have game play to compensate for the poor graphics, the electronic music had to compensate for the relatively basic equipment available. It makes you appreciate what those pioneers were capable of.

(for the non-musically inclined, I meant "monophonic" as opposed to "polyphonic" rather than "stereophonic" - many early synths could only play one note at a time, so no chords or playing a base line with the left hand and melody with the right)

« Reply #23 on: 24 December, 2009, 06:07:15 pm »
This looks fantastic - downloading it now!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »
I'm very tempted to buy this to fill in some of the gaps in my digital record collection, even though, as mentioned, there is a fair amount of dross on there. Some real bona fide electronic classics, though - even John Foxx's Underpass FFS, which you could hardly accuse of being included as a crowd-pleaser.

I think Kids In America just about passes for "electronic" because it's synth-based rather than guitars-and-drums, but it's certainly not what I think of as electronic music. But Pump Up The Volume definitely fits the bill and is a superb track. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.

Surely Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart has less of a claim to be on a compilation of electronic music? I mean, great song and all that, but Joy Division were a rock-band-with-synths rather than a proper electronic band.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."