Author Topic: Riding style offroad?  (Read 3608 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Riding style offroad?
« on: 28 December, 2009, 11:14:54 pm »
I am a coward when it comes to falling off or over things ???.  I would like to try some trail riding on the Scott ATB and not be too nervous to see what and where I am riding.
Tips on Muddy tracks, flat, level or hilly would be useful. I am terrified of mud as much as Ice. If the front wheel starts slipping out what do I do, or more importantly, how do I stop it from doing that?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Zoidburg

Re: Riding style offroad?
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:21:39 pm »
Don't touch the front brake if it starts to go, just bully it back on line, just keep an eye on ruts and anything with an adverse camber. Loose dry surfaces are worse than mud, mud on rocks and the like are a worry, ice just does it's own thing and you can't pretend to control it.

I would not stress about it, most built MTB routes in country parks are marked, a lot of the busy ones are just rough stuff trails in reality, fire roads with gentle single track chucked in. It gets more squiffy deeper in to the forests and on the hidden trails - places where only confident mentalists ride, they are sign posted with difficulty ratings.

Go as fast as you feel comfortable with and then keep repeating it, as you get more confident the speed comes on it own.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:32:34 pm »
Go as fast as you feel comfortable with and the keep repeating it, as you get more confident the speed comes on it own.

I am not a regular off road rider. In fact I rarely ride off road. Yesterday at the race (first ever race) I found that I was spending  a lot of effort attempting (and occasionally failing) to keep the bike upright. Snow and ice were the main cause, with the back wheel sliding away, steering in to the slide with the front as little as was needed to keep upright, front sliding, turn into it, don't lean the bike, steer it.
First lap was very timid and I was lapped by a runner (just) . The second lap I rode much more. The third lap I rode more parts still (and fell off on what should have been an easy bit). The final lap I started to struggle with concentration and managed an over the bars involuntary dismount. 50 minutes of harsh conditions. About as bad as they get.

The more experience the faster I could go. I must do more off road riding.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:57:12 pm »
There's not much you can do to rescue a front-wheel skid once it's started.  However, you can ride in a way that will minimise the chance of it happening.  I did a course a couple of years back and the instructor had a couple of really good tips, which IIRC went like this:

When going round a corner, always keep your outside foot down (ie on the pedal at 6 o'clock), even if there is an awkward camber, to keep the bike balanced.

When you can see slippery items in your path like tree roots, don't look at them - look where you're going instead.  Otherwise you tend to tense up and skid.  

Keep your control inputs gentle and your grip relaxed.  Mount your brake levers parallel to the ground, not pointing downwards, to keep your shoulders relaxed.  

Also, make sure you have the appropriate tyres for the conditions - I'm using Panaracer Fire Mud Pros at the minute and although they're pricey they're wonderfully grippy in mud.  Hope you have fun!

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:07:00 am »

Keep your control inputs gentle and your grip relaxed.  Mount your brake levers parallel to the ground, not pointing downwards, to keep your shoulders relaxed.  

Not wishing to be a nay sayer but that one is a broken wrist/sprain for certain.

Not the grip but the lever angle.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:34:11 pm »
Poor snowy ride vid  now in the gallery..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Malignant Narcisissm

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:07:19 pm »
if your going to brake in a bend then just lightly hang the back brake

keep your weight central on the bike most of the time.

lean forward in bends and lean as far off the back as you dare on steep downhills.

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »
I'd always suggest that you mount your brake levers where they fall most naturally to hand.   You don't want to be arching up or stretching down to find them.   They should just be there, right under your fingers.

Good advice is to look where you want to go.   Learn not to look at the obstacles, look at your route ahead.

Set your saddle a bit lower than on a road bike.   Not only does it help by lowering the centre of balance, it also allows you to stand on the pedals over bumps and ruts without giving your nuts a sharp smack or two.

If you go down sideways keep your hands on the bars and your feet on the pedals. 

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER PUTTING A PAW OR A HOOF DOWN.

Let the impact be spread along your body.   Put a foot or hand down and you could be looking at serious breakages.   Take it from one who learned the hard way courtesy of a rotational fracture of the distal fibula, two operations, nine weeks in plaster and a metal plate in his leg.   Looking at your foot dangling down is not a pleasant experience.  :sick:

« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »
Oh, and take it at your speed.  Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.   Doesn't matter if some crank thinks you're a wimp.   Cycling is all about enjoying yourself.   

Better to be able to return in one piece for the next ride.    :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »
Did anyone find they had to adapt their technique to make the most of front suspension? Or vice versa!

[Younger viewers: yes, there WAS a time when NO* bikes had ANY suspension... ]

*Mass produced.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:35:47 pm »
+1 for everything the bear says above.

On the last point, though, a bit of speed adds stability and makes many things easier, so it's a tricky compromise.

A few other thoughts:

Traction: This will vary a lot over quite small spaces. Look ahead, and plan where you are going to brake/steer. If you can straight-line mud or gravel, then brake/turn on the grippier bit beyond it, do so.

Muddy ground: On slippery surfaces, avoid cross-cambers. Look ahead, and try to ride straight along the bottom of ruts, or completely out of them. As with tram lines, any crossing should be done at an angle.

Roots: Look ahead; Cross at as near to 90 degress as possible. Shift your weight so that the wheel crossing the root is nearly weightless. (ie. aim to nearly wheely the front over, then lean all your weight onto the 'bars as the rear wheel comes over).

Rough ground: Try to avoid any big steps. This is obvious, but it's very easiy to follow the easiest line and find it ends in a big rock. By looking ahead you can choose a slightly rougher line which avoids the more difficult bits.

Trust the bike: If you have confidence, it's amazing what you can ride over. If all else fails and you find yourself heading for a obsticle which you would rather avoid, stand on the pedals, relax (as much as it's possible to when outside your comfort zone!) and let the bike do its thing.  :thumbsup:

oh... And did I mention looking ahead?  ;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:42:36 pm »
Did anyone find they had to adapt their technique to make the most of front suspension? Or vice versa!

[Younger viewers: yes, there WAS a time when NO* bikes had ANY suspension... ]

*Mass produced.

Definately. You can always tell someone who's more used to road riding when you come to an out-the-saddle climb. There's a tendency to stand on the pedals, haul on the bars and honk. With suspension, the technique is to try and maintain a smooth, circular action with no sudden weight shifts. I have a self-image* of crouching over the bike (rather than standing tall) when climbing out of the saddle.

On the flat and descending, the difference is more to do with allowing the suspension to work for you - primarily keeping weight on the 'bars** so that the forks can help you maintain steering traction, rather than unweighting them to protect your wrists.

* I'm sure a 3rd party would see something completely different!  :-\

** and/or on the saddle if you're riding FS.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #12 on: 31 December, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »
Oh, and take it at your speed.  Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.   Doesn't matter if some crank thinks you're a wimp.   Cycling is all about enjoying yourself.   

Better to be able to return in one piece for the next ride.    :thumbsup:

I'm an expert at, "Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with." I walked around a berm that was made of rocks with what looked like tyre swallowing gaps at one of the Welsh mountain bike trails while an expert just whizzed around it. I've spent many happy hours going off road in the wilds of Wales. I often get off and walk when I get out of my depth. I've walked for miles! It's great fun though, even when you're as poor at it as I am.
I find a lot of it is about confidence too. Once I get more confident, I can ride over what I wouldn't have done before and learn along the way.
I don't do as much mountain biking as I'd like, not with the clay soil I have around where I live and the rain. :'(

I think that my suspension compensates quite a lot for my lack of ability.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2009, 03:16:51 pm »
The best advice I was given as a kid mucking about in the excellent local woods:

1) Always take it easy
2) Ride frequently

The more you ride, the faster and more proficient your 'easy' will become. Nasty crashes tend to, but not always mind, happen when you push it.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
I am no helmet lover but I do wear one off road, having said that don't forget one possibly more important bit of kit.

Riding glasses, a real must IMHO.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »
Thanks for all the help so far.  Have to admit that I am "Off the bike due to Injury" still at the moment, been SEVEN WEEKS FORBIDDEN BY TH G.P.! 
reading through the confidence thing seems to be my weak spot these days.  Back in days of Old I'd have a go at anything but now I always tend to look for the problems.  I'll try a few local "Rough Bridleway" rides round here when I get back on Wheels.  I do tend, on uprights, to have the saddle a bit high and the point of a lower saddle on ATB is a good one to use.
Thanks again.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!