Author Topic: DIY Studded tyres  (Read 39711 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: DIY Studded tyres
« Reply #150 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »
Another idea for ice tyre construction wot I just found on teh webs.

Wheels.

This guy makes his just like you but the final stage is to add mastic to the screw heads.

When all the screws are in take a caulking gun with a tube of silicone in it and put a blob on each screw head and smear it smooth with your finger. You may use a tire liner for extra protection. I made mine from slitting old inner-tubes length-wise.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #151 on: 16 January, 2010, 07:39:47 am »
He says to avoid paved roads, but the only issue is that the screws wear down quicker.  My screws stick out <ahem> about 4mm and riding on them for 45 miles, mostly on tarmac, has only just taken the points off the ends.  They handle OK too, because the points just squash into the tread when you're on a hard surface.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #152 on: 21 November, 2010, 06:10:50 pm »
Thread necromancy, because Adam referred to it elsewhere, snow is forecast and I found this gem on Singletrack World:

Two mates of mine did this on proper DH tyres, fitted them to their DH bikes and pushed them up to the middle of the ski station last year, then hooned back down to the resort. They said it was a giggle (and surprisingly effective) but utterly terrifying as the steepness of the slope meant moving your ar$e a long way back and getting very close to the spinning carnage behind you...

which instantly made me think of the Viz spoof advert:

http://ladybunny.net/blog/uploaded_images/Clag-gone-745254.jpg

Ouch!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.