Author Topic: DIY Studded tyres  (Read 39772 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: DIY Studded tyres
« Reply #25 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:09:29 am »
I need to find some cheapy MTB tyres and do this myself  :thumbsup:

What's the narrowest knobbly you can get in 26"?  Does anyone make a 1.3" or 1.4"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:22:04 am »
Are these 26" ones knobbly/cheap enough  ?

rogerzilla

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:47:09 am »
Oh yes  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:34:37 am »
Wheelie?  Outstanding!  I'm interested to see how they last out the cold snap.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:26:43 am »
ok, they survived the morning commute.  The screws are wearing down lightly, which can only be a good thing as they were too long really.

The bad news is that we have no snow  :-\   Well to be honest my road had about half an inch of settled stuff, but that's it.  The roads were clear, the snow was melting as it landed.  As I look out of the office window now I can see a light dusting on the lawn opposite, but that's about the deepest here.

Nutty, if the council properly grit everywhere, will you be sending them the pictures and a complaint
about your wasted time?

<Picks up pen with green ink>

« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:29:08 am »
Are these 26" ones knobbly/cheap enough  ?

They're pretty good tyres.  If I'm not mistaken I have one of those on the back of the Windcheetah for winter riding.

« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:33:35 am »
Just remembered.   Good thing I didn't ride into reception this morning.

As I pushed the bike in the front wheel just fell away sideways from under me.  These studded tyres on a marble floor are as effective as slicks on sheet black ice.

BE WARNED.  Look out for metal/similar smooth surfaces.

« Reply #32 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:58:53 am »
Just remembered.   Good thing I didn't ride into reception this morning.

As I pushed the bike in the front wheel just fell away sideways from under me.  These studded tyres on a marble floor are as effective as slicks on sheet black ice.

BE WARNED.  Look out for metal/similar smooth surfaces.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:18:52 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:( ;D ;D ;D

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
And don't ride across your best parquet floor in them  :)

« Reply #35 on: 06 January, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »
Funny you should say that....

I was a bit worried about my hands and the kitchen floor when trying to fit them last night  ;D

« Reply #36 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
An inspiring thread. When I replace the tyres on my 'cross bike I may well fire some steel pop rivets into the old ones

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:19:04 pm »
Aren't pop rivets aluminium?  Would they be too rounded to get a grip?

« Reply #38 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:24:39 pm »

« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »
I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID IN THE PAST RE STUDDED TYRES NOT BEING NECESSARY!!!!

The snow in Southend was PERFECT.  It started falling heavily mid afternoon, everybody panicked and left work, gridlock ensued.  This meant that the snow turned to slush and then was compressed to ice instead of melting on the gritted roads  ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I left work after the worst of the gridlock was over (18:00).  The first junction (approach to a roundabout) made me nearly poo myself; I'd approached the queue at normal speed, overtake it, then realise I was on white frozen slush and not the wet stuff I had been expecting.  However no problems.

Trundling through the rest of the commute was ok.  Main roads might have been wet/slush/frozen slush, I don't really know.  What I do know though is that I had good traction and suspect that it'd have been worse on knobblies.  Some uphill climbs I was doing ok, but each time a car tried to overtake me and accelerate they wheelspun.

The back roads though were sheet ice.  You could see the zig-zag tracks from cars that were just wheelspinning on mild uphills when they had gone over a speed bump and were trying to get back up to speed.  I managed some mild controlled wheelspins with heavy acceleration, but in the main just slogged home.  At one junction I tried not to laugh - the pedestrian had got onto his hands and knees and was crawling across the road.

However, on one road I thought the studs had worn down at last :(   wheelspinning was easy.  I had control of the steering but I could feel that the bike wanted to let go.

After a while of this I stopped and looked at the studs screws.  Not too worn.  Then I looked at the road.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Even though I had good boots on, I couldn't stand up.  The white "snow" was deep compacted ice.  The black wheel tracks was that white compressed snow compressed even further into black ice.

I've taken some photos and will upload them later.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:34:46 pm »
Slippy wasn't it!  ;D  Specially round the Seaway car park roundabout!    :D
At one point I was next to a big Asian 4X4 thing that had all 4 wheels spinning and went . . . nowhere!!   ;D ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #42 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:38:42 pm »
Slippy wasn't it!  ;D  Specially round the Seaway car park roundabout!    :D
At one point I was next to a big Asian 4X4 thing that had all 4 wheels spinning and went . . . nowhere!!   ;D ;D

No, it was slippery*. But only for those without the correct equipment!

*Ross Noble: "Slippery: like a slipper."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #43 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:49:22 pm »

Just wait until he tries fitting the tyre.  :o

If you put money on that at the bookies you very nearly won something.

I was going to put a bet on. But when ladbrokes gave me the odds I'd get on Nutty getting injured while fettling, it wasn't really worth bothering. ;D

This has been a good read though. If the weather is still icy this weekend, I might even have a go myself with some duff old tryes I have and have my own experiment now that I know there's something in home made studded tyres.
Cheers Nutty. :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2010, 02:04:40 am »
Aren't pop rivets aluminium?

If you just get ordinary rivets they will be aluminium, but they are also made in steel, and a good ironmonger should be able to sell or obtain them. Steel ones are significantly harder to put in, obviously, and after doing half of mine in one night I had a bad case of wan^W sore hand.

« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:29:33 am »
Aren't pop rivets aluminium?  Would they be too rounded to get a grip?
go to a marine shop you can get stainless steel

« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »
Marvelous thread, I'm gobsmacked that anyone would go to these lengths just for our amusement ;D

My Marathon Winters are performing admirably and I consider them a cheap alternative to the pain that the DIY method could provide.
Nuns, no sense of humour

fuzzy

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »
I have just remembered something!

Somewhere in the darkest depths of my SHED lies an abandoned pair of Amerityre solid tyres.

Solid tyres and DIY studs...... no faffing with sidewall removal and yards of duct tape.

The question is now begged- what to use as studs?

rogerzilla

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:10:01 pm »
Screw inwards with hex head self-tappers in this case.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »
A use for solid tyres! :o
Getting there...