Linked Events

• Severn Across 400: 24 April, 2010

Author Topic: Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10 - from Chalf St P  (Read 35324 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10 - from Chalf St P
« on: 14 January, 2010, 04:55:55 pm »
Bored of planning my calendar yet again so sending off my entry ridiculously early for this one.

Anyone else on this one? Goes through my home town of Wootton Bassett so a good chance of popping in for a bite and a snooze, time dependant.

WB would indeed be a good sleep stop (assuming you're out for a full value ride like me).

[I've started a new thread for 2010 to avoid confusion.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:02:21 pm »
Seems like a good idea.

Maybe not out for the "full value" ride but certainly not aiming for a dawn til dusk effort. Should be able to put in a nap even if I am making good time.

This'll be my second 400 following the Cheshire Plains last year. Mind you, I only napped for about 5 minutes before heading off again on that one.

Any advice on where to book for sleeping the night before? Looking for close rather than cheapest.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »
Uxbridge Travelodge is only 6 miles away.

I can't remember if Chris gets the hall the night before to allow people to sleep over.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »
Uxbridge Travelodge is only 6 miles away.

I can't remember if Chris gets the hall the night before to allow people to sleep over.

he doesn't

BUT

he does open up a room at the back to sleep in after; always a good incentive to get round and make the most of what's left of Saturday night (which may be all of it for some, never arrived back before 3 myself)

this is a ride that is very dear to my heart as it completed my first SR, having missed my planned 400 (had done one the year before though) ; it was literally the last 400 in the 2003 calendar so no pressure!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:21:59 pm »
Current plan is to do this one.  It'll be my third time doing it in six years.  I always mump about how it is the Dean plus some boring bits, but I guess my return custom must mean I actually have a bit of a soft spot for it deep down.

Was glad to see that it doesn't clash with the Brevet Cymru this year.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:48:49 pm »
I'm in. I think.

*consults diary*

Yep. I'm in.   :thumbsup:

AJB

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »
I was thinking of giving this one a go. Infact printed off the Entry Form on Monday, just need to send it. (Oh and tell my other half I'll be away cycling another weekend!

AJB

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »
I've entered. My first attempt at a 400. I've even ordered a new Garmin Vista as the Edge 305 isn't really up to long journeys and its unreliability has made it untrustworthy.

Chris S has explained the joys of cycling down Streatley Hill asleep. If I make it that far I might nip to my parents' in Cholsey for a quick nap before doing the last 30 odd miles.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »
In my diary - and this will be third time - so I like it as a ride
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »
It's in my diary but there's a lot can happen between now and then...

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:58:38 pm »
I'm in  - posted the form last week. My First 400
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »
Well, it and I are due for a return match, but... not this year, I'll be in Whitby with two thousand filthy goths.

« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2010, 08:57:44 am »
I had no idea goths audaxed. Had I known I would have stuck cleats on my winklepickers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2010, 01:26:30 pm »
I always mump about how it is the Dean plus some boring bits, but I guess my return custom must mean I actually have a bit of a soft spot for it deep down.

I've been thinking about this. When you look at the routes, it only uses a small mileage in common with the Dean (it doesn't even go over Hackpen Hill!). And the extra bits (the Eastern 100k) are actually quite pleasant.

I think the reason one get this negative feeling about the route, is that when you look at the outline, it seems like you are covering all the same ground as the Dean, and that the Thames-Valley-Londony 'extra' bits are much less glamorous than Cotswolds+Forest-of-Dean.

Of course this doesn't apply if you haven't done the Dean, nor plan to do it!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
The Dean is a spectacule ride tho'. Not many in Southern England compare with that. 

Having said that, I've never ridden the Severn Across cos the route doesn't, sorry to say, excite me.  If I lived further East even than I used to then maybe it'd be more attractive.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2010, 01:40:32 pm »
I always mump about how it is the Dean plus some boring bits, but I guess my return custom must mean I actually have a bit of a soft spot for it deep down.

I've been thinking about this. When you look at the routes, it only uses a small mileage in common with the Dean (it doesn't even go over Hackpen Hill!). And the extra bits (the Eastern 100k) are actually quite pleasant.

I think the reason one get this negative feeling about the route, is that when you look at the outline, it seems like you are covering all the same ground as the Dean, and that the Thames-Valley-Londony 'extra' bits are much less glamorous than Cotswolds+Forest-of-Dean.

Of course this doesn't apply if you haven't done the Dean, nor plan to do it!

Oh, it's not that the Severn Across is literally the Dean plus extra bits.

Having ridden both, I can hand on heart compare them and opine that the Severn Across is a decent route, but the Dean is better.

I'll be doing both this year - the Dean for pleasure that I know I'll enjoy, the Severn Across to bag an easyish early season 400 that I hope to enjoy.  I suspect my ambivalence in relation to the Severn Across is confounded with my general preference for 300km and 600km events.

AJB

« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2010, 02:09:37 pm »
Entry just sent off - AJB

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2010, 04:17:23 pm »
2003's version was a bit of a learning curve for me and one I road mostly alone with occasional company of Tim Wainwight Jack Eason and Peter T (who might as well have been Mr T to me at the time). Contrary to rumours I was not the only rider who was not also doing PBP (and with no intention ever to ). I arrived late and went wrong near Islip so ended up going A40-Headington (McDonalds instead of the proper control) and A48 to Woodstck to meet the rest of the field. I probably rode and chatted with Simon too not having got my Audax-spotter badge back then.

The headwind to Newent was something to behold; but Chepstows Tesco's did hot food. Poor lighting and tiredness got the better of me near Hampton Norreys and I beached on a grass bank for what must have a couple of hours. grunting occasionally at passing riders asking if I was OK. Being July this meant that much of the Thames and Chilterns bit was done in semi-daylight.

was I pleased to arrive at the finish with thoughts of that SR medal
2006's is best recounted by Mr O'Tea....

Simon, from Cliff Shakespear's photos (the rest are on the AUK site)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:13:30 pm »
There, entry in the post so I'll be seeing you on the fair ride itself  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:26:37 pm »
If I can lose enough weight, I might do it fixed.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:31:51 pm »
If I can lose enough weight, I might do it fixed.

I am toying with the idea, having been able to get around the Dean on fixed (which is actually a tougher ride, despite the distance).  Then again, I vowed never to ride beyond 200km on fixed when I achieved my first (and at that time intended to be only) fixed SR.  Decisions decisions.

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »
*thinks*

Fixed, The Dean is "harder" for sure, but not horror inducing at all.

What sticks in my head?

Stow, and the climb up past Swell just after Stow is a bit of a grimp. Winchcombe. Yat Rock and the slog on to St Briavels (but then that lovely descent into Chepstow). Somerset Monument, the never arriving Baydon, the slog up the hill through the trees near the end (Medmenham), the slog up past the industrial estate (Wooburn?) on tired legs, and Jordans.

*jealous*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10 - from Chalf St P
« Reply #22 on: 26 February, 2010, 09:46:26 am »
I'm in, it will be my first ever 400.

« Reply #23 on: 26 February, 2010, 10:44:30 am »
Keep saying I am going to do this ride sometime. Must try harder to sort it out.

« Reply #24 on: 26 February, 2010, 11:27:09 am »
Booked in at Uxbridge Travelodge.

But still not sent off my entry until I know that i have a reasonable chance of finishing this one.

Still not very fit at the moment.