Author Topic: It's alive! Pennyfarthing joy!  (Read 18870 times)

Re: It's alive! Pennyfarthing joy!
« Reply #25 on: 19 May, 2008, 02:36:25 pm »
Totally awesome Andy.  :thumbsup:

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #26 on: 19 May, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »
I love the fact you got an audience.  ;D

« Reply #27 on: 19 May, 2008, 03:31:20 pm »
"Now even Igor will want a ride..."

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<hop>

<fade to distance>

rofl ;D ;D ;D

Sir Tifiable

« Reply #28 on: 19 May, 2008, 03:39:53 pm »

That's awesome!  :D

I soooooo want to try one.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #29 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:48:19 pm »
Next you need a tail coat and top hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klYnSbpGBcQ&feature=related

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #30 on: 19 May, 2008, 11:00:46 pm »

« Reply #31 on: 19 May, 2008, 11:04:15 pm »
Are they actually road legal, given you're supposed to have an independent brake on (I think) both wheels?  A normal fixie just about gets away with it, but as everything is on the front with an Ordinary...

Someone found a bit in the other thread that exempts Ordinaries from needing any brakes as the wheel is direct drive. 

Presumably it's the same basis upon which fixies don't need a rear brake, especially since an ordinary is a fixie.  Strictly speaking fixies need an independent brake on the front wheel, so presumably to be road legal, an ordinary needs a brake on it's rear wheel.
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:04:23 am »
However a brake on the rear wheel would do nothing: it would lock almost immediately and start fishtailing.   :-\
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #33 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:07:13 am »
However a brake on the rear wheel would do nothing: it would lock almost immediately and start fishtailing.   :-\

I didn't think it would be sensible, only that legally it may be required!

« Reply #34 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:28:55 pm »
That was great--thanks for posting the video. I've been looking forward to that--I almost cheered for the complete ride-and-dismount.

Take a virtual deerstalker from the YACF stash.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:58:23 pm »
The Great Tribulation continues...

Having fitted a nice swaybacked old B.17 on a home-made clamp, and beaten the cranks straight (many crashes has this one had, mrrmph!), it was time for another go. 

Good news: The saddle's great.  It actually takes my weight and I can sit there rather than perch.  Once I bend the saddle loops out of the way so they don't gut me like a fish on mounting, that will be sorted.

Bad news: On the second spin, the damn thing dumped me hard - a comedy cradlefall where I tried to stop the machine committing hara-cranky and so hurled my carcass under it, spectacles flying.  My left sitbone is as sore as a Hilary Clinton.  A small child of unknown provenance retrieved the specs.  Wisdom and age both bade me retire to my cave to lick my wounded backside...

Quote from: Mark Twain - 'Taming The Bicycle'
The bicycle had what is called the "wabbles," and had them very badly. In order to keep my position, a good many things were required of me, and in every instance the thing required was against nature. That is to say, that whatever the needed thing might be, my nature, habit, and breeding moved me to attempt it in one way, while some immutable and unsuspected law of physics required that it be done in just the other way. I perceived by this how radically and grotesquely wrong had been the life-long education of my body and members.

The steps of one's progress are distinctly marked. At the end of each lesson he knows he has acquired something, and he also knows what that something is, and likewise that it will stay with him. It is not like studying German, where you mull along, in a groping, uncertain way, for thirty years; and at last, just as you think you've got it, they spring the subjunctive on you.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #36 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:48:07 am »
An ordinary being like a unicycle with a stabilizer, can it get the 'wabbles'?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #37 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:04:20 am »
Oh yes.  Amazing how wabbly it gets just before it hurls me to the ground.

My arse is sooooo bruised today.  Can hardly sit down.

I think me and this bike need a conversation.  It needs to be given a name.  Flossie, perhaps, or Tinkerbell.  Not Jeff Stryker.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:11:18 am »
My arse is sooooo bruised today.  Can hardly sit down.

Oh crumbs.  You poor thing - this isn't as easy as you'd hoped then?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Pete

« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:26:34 am »
I espied a Brother-in-Ordinaryness of yours, yesterday, gliding along the road near Ditchling Common (wasn't you astray from your usual haunts was it?).  But we'd just completed the annual Burgess Hill fun ride, and he may have just come from taking part, though I didn't see him at the start (you'd have thought an Ordinary would stand out wouldn't it?).   Anyway, he was doing very nicely thank you with no indication of wabbliness....

Keep at it, it can be mastered!   After all, back in the 1870s, it was the second fastest means of getting about in this island of ours (the fastest being the railways).  And if it hadn't been for the popularity of the Ordinary in its time, maybe cycling as we know it today would never have taken off!  I'd love to give something like that a try, but maybe my years of 'trying something new' are past me. :-\

« Reply #40 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:42:50 am »

Having fitted a nice swaybacked old B.17 on a home-made clamp, and beaten the cranks straight (many crashes has this one had, mrrmph!), it was time for another go. 

Good news: The saddle's great.  It actually takes my weight and I can sit there rather than perch.  Once I bend the saddle loops out of the way so they don't gut me like a fish on mounting, that will be sorted.

Bad news: On the second spin, the damn thing dumped me hard - a comedy cradlefall where I tried to stop the machine committing hara-cranky and so hurled my carcass under it, spectacles flying.  My left sitbone is as sore as a Hilary Clinton.  A small child of unknown provenance retrieved the specs.  Wisdom and age both bade me retire to my cave to lick my wounded backside...

The Yoga classes are working then    ;)

A trip to your local MTB emporium for some body armour & a H*****T might be a sensible idea, until you've got the hang of it!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #41 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
Next you need a tail coat and top hat.

Or, even better, a uniform.

And maybe a bugle?
Profit or planet?

annie

« Reply #42 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:58:30 am »

Quote from: Mark Twain - 'Taming The Bicycle'
The bicycle had what is called the "wabbles," and had them very badly. In order to keep my position, a good many things were required of me, and in every instance the thing required was against nature. That is to say, that whatever the needed thing might be, my nature, habit, and breeding moved me to attempt it in one way, while some immutable and unsuspected law of physics required that it be done in just the other way. I perceived by this how radically and grotesquely wrong had been the life-long education of my body and members.

The steps of one's progress are distinctly marked. At the end of each lesson he knows he has acquired something, and he also knows what that something is, and likewise that it will stay with him. It is not like studying German, where you mull along, in a groping, uncertain way, for thirty years; and at last, just as you think you've got it, they spring the subjunctive on you.

You obviously have something that I don't, the ability to lick your own backside.  Granted if I could I wouldn't O:-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #43 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:00:22 pm »
I espied a Brother-in-Ordinaryness of yours, yesterday, gliding

Gliding?  Bastard.

:)

I know it *can* be done.  Just need sessions longer than ten minutes and an "ooh, me hip!" - still, I did street luge, I can beat this archaic bugger as well. 

It took Mark Twain twelve hours with an instructor...

A trip to your local MTB emporium for some body armour & a H*****T might be a sensible idea, until you've got the hang of it!

They don't do arse-pads.  Wristies would be sensible but I tried 'em and they interfere with my hands.  What I really need is a rope and harness...

Or, even better, a uniform.

Top stuff!  I'll get my sewing machine and curtains ready :) 

« Reply #44 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:31:21 pm »
  What I really need is a rope and harness...

You need balloons, lots of balloons....

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #45 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:06:21 pm »
I'm not allowed balloons since the Incident.

« Reply #46 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:12:44 pm »

Wonder what "The Incident" was...

Should I bring some modelling balloons to the Zombocalypse Bug Out and taunt you with them? ;D

« Reply #47 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:13:13 pm »

Come on now,  you can't leave us dangling like that!  Our imaginations will float away...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #48 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:15:08 pm »
You obviously have something that I don't, the ability to lick your own backside.  Granted if I could I wouldn't O:-)

Well why risk spinal injuries when there's a long queue of volunteers ready to do it for you? O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #49 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:22:45 pm »

Well why risk spinal injuries when there's a long queue of volunteers ready to do it for you? O:-)

This discussion has now hurtled over the precipice of decency and is heading straight for the rim of bad taste... (&NSFW!)