Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 37509 times)

Re: Blood donation
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »
#18 today.

PPE on display was interesting.

Initial triage where 2m distance was strictly enforced but once I'd said I had no symptoms or hadn't mixed with anyone who had recently had symptoms/etc then it was all a bit more relaxed.

3/4 of the nurses had masks on but, obviously, 1/4 didn't have anything, including the nurse who did my screening and Hb test.

About half of the donors had masks (I took mine) but obviously you have to take it off to drink the electrolyte drink or eat an orange club biscuit afterwards.

Busiest I've seen the centre though, and all of the platelet bays were in use too.

They took 3 separate vials of blood (they usually take 2) so I wonder if they're also using this for random/anonymous antibody testing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2020, 11:47:18 pm »
it looks like they are all busy. i had a call recently asking whether i can donate. then they checked several donor centres and the nearest appointment would be in two months. i said that's too far out, give me a call if there are any cancellations within a week or two.

« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2020, 08:10:51 am »
#18 today.

Top tip of the day - don't attempt hill intervals (running) the day after giving blood. I did this 2 weeks ago. It got to the very hard stage pretty quickly.

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2020, 01:20:04 pm »
#18 today.

Top tip of the day - don't attempt hill intervals (running) the day after giving blood. I did this 2 weeks ago. It got to the very hard stage pretty quickly.

BTDTGTTS.

Now I usually schedule at least 2 days of no running after a blood donation. Next 5k is Wednesday after Sunday's donation and will be gentle.

When fitter I was able to cope better. A few years ago I did a marathon on a Sunday then cycled to work (12km but flat) on Tuesday, gave blood, cycled home, then played 1h40 of 5-a-side.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."