Author Topic: 'Taking over' an audax ride  (Read 2230 times)

Dominic

'Taking over' an audax ride
« on: 25 January, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »
There is some talk in my club Addiscombe CC about organising a sportive.  I have suggested an audax with a view to possibly resurrecting the Brass Monkey and/or the Battle and Back.  I appreciate that Tim Wainwright organised them and has had a bit of a sabbatical.

What would be be the best way to do this after talking with Tim?  Does this go against any Audax etiquette that I don't know about?

Any thoughts advice/welcome.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: 'Taking over' an audax ride
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:11:04 pm »
I did exactly this with the Barbury Bash events last year.

The only hassle was due to the event not having been through the 'modern' route validation procedures - we got there in the end, but there was a bit of time-consuming to-and-fro-ing with my area co-ord person.

(This year was a million times easier - just hit the Duplicate Event button and updated the infos!)

So no, if you have Tim's blessing there don't seem to be no etiket to worry about.
 (if you're a New Organiser you also have to go through all that stuff - but that is already explained on Aukweb, and in a topic here somewhere).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »
There is some talk in my club Addiscombe CC about organising a sportive.  I have suggested an audax with a view to possibly resurrecting the Brass Monkey and/or the Battle and Back.  I appreciate that Tim Wainwright organised them and has had a bit of a sabbatical.

What would be be the best way to do this after talking with Tim?  Does this go against any Audax etiquette that I don't know about?

I think someone of this Parish has already got dibs on Battle and Back (that's what Tim told me just before Xmas)

The Brass Monkey is a good ride (never done it but know the route off pat; I believe after Blethchingley it's much like the B/B sporting) with a convenient start(as soon as they've resurfaced the road I pranged on) and with a bit of extra climbing would qualify as a Grimpeur. To take it over you need a mentor (Tim will probably oblige he'll probably have all the old route sheets etc). Your Addiscombe membership will cover that side of things (the club won't be required to help it's just a requirement that new orgs are either in an established club or CTC). The rest is mostly done using the online Event Planner available to orgs.  Good Luck  :thumbsup:

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
Hi Dominic

If you fancy taking an event on, first get the blessing of the old organiser, and your club secretary, then drop me an email. I think you have my address.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
There is some talk in my club Addiscombe CC about organising a sportive.  I have suggested an audax with a view to possibly resurrecting the Brass Monkey and/or the Battle and Back.  I appreciate that Tim Wainwright organised them and has had a bit of a sabbatical.

What would be be the best way to do this after talking with Tim?  Does this go against any Audax etiquette that I don't know about?

I was going to take over the Battle and Back.  I basically got Tim's blessing at the 2008 AGM to take it over.  He passed over the route sheets etc and was more than happy that the event might live on with a new organiser.

On looking at the shortest distance route, it was going to be a right faff getting it to the minimum 200km distance.  Bear in mind, Tim's route was authorised in the days when certain leeway/discretion was given to organisers and underdistance events were possible.  To cut a long story short, informal soundings led me to believe that new scrutiny of the route by the local area organiser would require more controls.  Despite trying, I was finding it very difficult to maintain the integrity of the route whilst having a reasonable number of infos/checkpoints.  In the end, I gave up and ditched the idea of resurrecting the event.

Despite this, you (or someone else) might be able to make it work.  I'd suggest contacting Tim.

Tim is, I recall, aware of my decision not to go ahead with organising the event.  It may be someone else has expressed an interest though.

As an aside, the inability to sort out the B&B partly inspired my William the Conkerer 200km event that is now in the calendar.  If that event runs smoothly, I was intending on moving it to around about the time the B&B was on (to plug a hole in the GdS calendar).  If B&B is resurrected, then calendars would need to be managed (I'd happily keep my 200 in September if the B&B were to be reborn in mid-Summer).

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »
PS: there is not much route overlap between William the Conkerer and the B+B.

The only real similarities are that both rides go to Battle and back, taking in the joys of the North Downs.  The calendar could live with both.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:55:30 pm »
I talked with Tim about this, but real life intervened, so I've not had enough time to do more than talk with Tim and and Andy Uttley .   I'd still be keen to get involved.

Dave

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:15:55 pm »
I'd love to see Battle and Back reincarnated. Ditto Brass Monkey - although I occasionally ride much of that route anyway just for fun.

Count me in as a volunteer first time round if you want to get either of them going again.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:01:31 pm »
here's the BM route courtesy of ChrisO of this parish; as I thought very Battle and Back Sporting-y;

it also solves a mystery;  I saw loads of riders all sporting route sheets at Turners Hill whilst waiting for a club run a few years back; they must have been doing the BM

Bicycle Path - Brass Monkey Audax 100k at Bikely.com

Andrew

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2010, 05:07:15 pm »
Aside: I didn't know the Battle and Back was no more! That's a real shame. A cracking ride.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:36:02 pm »
Brass Monkey was a decent early season 100km ride but I can't say I've missed it that much.  Other than the greasy spoon that the event started in - that caff was superb (may still be, for all I know, but I don't really have a reason to cycle up to Coulsdon).

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
Just to add a +1 for B+B. We did perhaps the last edition of it,  and the first we cycled to/from start of as well (being very local for us).
I'd love to see it resurrected and willing to help out if there is some way I can.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2010, 10:01:31 am »
Dominic; I've had a bit of a tinker with the Brass Monkey route and by taking it via Toys Hill and back via Caterham on the Hill got another 400m climbing out of it thus making it a Grimpeur; not sure if that's what you want for your club though sounds like you want to introduce them to Audax not put them off for life!

PM me if you want the revised route