Author Topic: Which Carradice Bagman support  (Read 7123 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Which Carradice Bagman support
« on: 12 February, 2010, 07:57:49 am »
Thinking of buying one of these for my barley.
There are two versions.  "Expedition" and "Sport".

Now, as my cycling is as far removed from sport as is possible to be, I assumed that the choice was obvious.
Other than a small price difference and weight ::-), the Sport version appears to have 2 cm less drop. 
I'm not sure what effect this would have.  Would it keep the bag slightly more upright? (I'd like that)

Is anyone aware of the pros and cons of the two versions?

And secondly, (wrong board) does anyone have one they want to sell?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Which Carradice Bagman support
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2010, 08:33:29 am »
Whatever you do, get the new model, not the old one.

I have one of the old ones, and while it is a piece of polished loveliness, the support frame works it's way out of the main bracket.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2010, 09:59:53 am »
Yes, the new design is much better (unless you have access to a workshop where you can drill the support frame).

Whichever you go for, it's worth paying a wee bit more for a quick release version.
Getting there...

PH

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2010, 12:04:53 pm »
A Barley fits a lot better on the Sport.  On the QR version the bag also hangs down 30mm lower than the saddle loops.  The Barley sits far more on the frame of the QR version, rather than hanging from the saddle. The Pendle is a better fit in the std Sport.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
Unless you go for the QR version I can't see the point of a support for the Barley, they are so small they don't tend to sag.

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2010, 12:11:26 pm »
Thinking of buying one of these for my barley.
There are two versions.  "Expedition" and "Sport".

Now, as my cycling is as far removed from sport as is possible to be, I assumed that the choice was obvious.
Other than a small price difference and weight ::-), the Sport version appears to have 2 cm less drop. 
I'm not sure what effect this would have.  Would it keep the bag slightly more upright? (I'd like that)

And secondly, (wrong board) does anyone have one they want to sell?
The length of the drop doesn't make any difference to the "angle of dangle". Matching the Bagman to any particular saddle bag is a bit tricky and differs between the normal Bagman and the "Quick Release" type. On the normal one, the saddlebag straps go through the loops on the saddle (assuming you're using a Brooks - ?) and the Bagman clamp is about 40mm below the saddle loops, on the saddle rails (on a Brooks Team Pro); this affects how high the 'bag sits above the horizontal part of the Bagman frame. On the "QR" version, the 'bag straps attach to the Bagman bracket at the same height as the saddle rails.

The Barley 'bag is only about 120mm high and therefore doesn't really sit precisely on any of the Bagman frames. The QR is the better fit since the effective height is less. As the Barley's also shallow depthwise (front to back) the Bagman frame also sticks out behind the Barley. This can be handy for attaching a rearlight.

The Bagman frames work really well IMHO at controlling the 'bag from swaying back and forth, but the Barley is at the small end of the Carradice range and all the Bagman frames are a little large for it. But you do get the facilty of fitting larger 'bags on the same frame of course.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »
I use a Super C on the Expedition.  I occasionally use my Barley on it, and it's OK, but I think a Sport might be better.

Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2010, 04:09:42 pm »
It's all a bit academic, anyway.  The ability of Carradice to supply these supports is abysmal - they are out of stock most of the time.  I gather fresh stock is due shortly (it comes from the Far East, of course) and I have high hopes of acquiring another Q/R Sport before too long.

Having tried both, I commend the Q/R when you can get one.

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »
(it comes from the Far East, of course)

Does it? I phoned them for parts once, and they indicated that it was made by an engineering firm down the road.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2010, 02:18:49 pm »
Would a q/r sport be ok with a nelson on a small compact frame, I have a sqr but think the bagman will give more support. 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »
Unless you go for the QR version I can't see the point of a support for the Barley, they are so small they don't tend to sag.

I thought that, so took my QR Bagman off last Thursday.
On Friday morning I had pedalled about 3 metres and realised my Barley was hitting the back of my legs so went and put it back on.
It supports the Barley slightly.  It supports my Nelson Longflap a heck of a lot more.
As my Specialized saddle does not have any loops the QR is ace for connecting any Carradice to.

I bought the QR to replace my existing Bagman. 

« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2010, 11:29:39 am »
Would a q/r sport be ok with a nelson on a small compact frame, I have a sqr but think the bagman will give more support. 
Depends I guess on how small the frame is. The SQR lifts the 'bag higher than the Bagman and the QR version of the Bagman holds the 'bag even lower than the non-QR version where the 'bag is up at the saddleloops. The Nelson and a Bagman are a good match, sizewise. If it's critical, I could measure the drop on my Nelson and Bagman and let you know how deep it is.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »
the Sport version appears to have 2 cm less drop. 

I have the expedition, which I use for a barley and a nelson (not simultaneously). Both are fine on it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2010, 12:38:20 pm »
Depends I guess on how small the frame is. The SQR lifts the 'bag higher than the Bagman and the QR version of the Bagman holds the 'bag even lower than the non-QR version where the 'bag is up at the saddleloops. The Nelson and a Bagman are a good match, sizewise. If it's critical, I could measure the drop on my Nelson and Bagman and let you know how deep it is.

Cheers!  I think it will be ok as there is quite a bit of seatpost exposed.  I will buy & try as I can always send it back if it's no good.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.