Author Topic: Ill Cat  (Read 17291 times)

Re: Ill Cat
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:17:35 pm »
As forecast, he has eaten everything eatable, except the bowl of Iams, and has made a significant dent in that (it would take several days with nothing else to eat for him to finish all the Iams).

I've just given him half a webbox stick, and some Dreamies, and some of the cheap Sainsburys fishy nibbles he likes, and another bowl of milk, since he was meowing so pitifully.  I'm a soft touch. :)

I think I can say that he's back to his normal "starving cat" self.  ie five minutes after he's had his breakfast, from the meows his produces he's clearly starving, and not been fed for a week!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »
 :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2010, 01:06:25 pm »
That's good news :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #28 on: 05 March, 2010, 02:20:04 pm »
That's good news :D.

It is, and that's a lucky cat with all them treats. Mine get nowt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:10:02 pm »
I've just started buying those Webbox treats after they were snubbing the Felix sticks - my god, they are like kitty cocaine!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:01:52 pm »
It is, and that's a lucky cat with all them treats. Mine get nowt.

I blame my sister.  I get a whole load given to me at Christmas.  Strictly speaking, they're given to Talisker by Bubbles and Marmaduke, my sister's cats.  They are spoilt, but they're indoor only cats, and are only allowed out on their leads for walkies or into the back garden when they can be watched to make sure that they don't make a bid for freedom.

Talisker is an indoors/outdoors cat, so supplements his diet with anything else which is too slow to avoid being caught by him.  I know this includes pigeons and squirrels, and presumably the odd off colour rodent, which explains last weekends events. :-\

He will do anything for the various Webbox sticks, although Sainsburys seem to have stopped stocking the Beef flavoured ones, which he seemed to particularly like.  I normally only feed him half of one, in 1 to 1.5 cm long bits which he'll very carefully take from my fingers when sat on my lap!  I'm quite impressed with how daintily he can take something from my hands, without actually catching his exceedingly sharp teeth on my skin.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:07:59 pm »
I'm quite impressed with how daintily he can take something from my hands, without actually catching his exceedingly sharp teeth on my skin.

He's lulling you into a false sense of security...   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2010, 12:00:11 pm »
I'm quite impressed with how daintily he can take something from my hands, without actually catching his exceedingly sharp teeth on my skin.

He's lulling you into a false sense of security...   ;)

Having had my thumbnail bitten through by a cat (it bled for hours), I can only second this.   
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »

He will do anything for the various Webbox sticks, although Sainsburys seem to have stopped stocking the Beef flavoured ones, which he seemed to particularly like.

I tried my mogs with the Webbox sticks after reading this, and the two dustbins entirely turned their noses up at them.

Back to the Whiska's treats it is!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #34 on: 07 March, 2010, 01:34:52 pm »
LOL, domestic cats, as a group, don't seem very consistent in what treats they'll eat.

I had some cat-nip drops, which are like chocolate drops but with cat-nip instead.

Talisker loved them, and would happily scoff them down.  Another friend's cat would not eat them but would roll around on them (a typical cat nip behaviour), and a colleague at work tried them on his cat, and she just utterly ignored them!

« Reply #35 on: 07 March, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »
I'm going to guess that mine will ignore them and save myself the trouble of finding them in the shops  :P

I got given a little recipe book for home made cat treats but think I've lost it otherwise I could send it to someone on here. Sorry Jo  :(

We did find a dog delicatessen in Vancouver and had a good chat with the people running it. A very interesting place and it would have been interesting to see the people and animals who used it but we weren't there long enough to hang around much. There were little stools so they eat in or takeaway.

« Reply #36 on: 03 August, 2010, 07:09:29 am »
He's managed to get into this sort of condition again. :(

He's being very pathetic, mewling in a "I'm not feeling well, please cure me" way.

As far as I can tell, he hasn't eaten or drunk much in the last 36 or so hours, which isn't good.  I've tried tempting him with treats again, and he isn't interested.

I suspect an expensive trip to the vets, and putting him on a drip again may cure him, but I don't want to do that unless I have to, partly because of the cost, but also because the travel wiill upset him.

I may give the vet a ring when they open and see what they think.

« Reply #37 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:32:27 am »
When cats go off their food, their stomach acids go haywire and they feel sick and go even more off their food. When our Emmie did this, all it took was a £4.50 packet of kitteh antacids from the vet and she was back to normal within half-an-hour. So it might not be as bad as you fear.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #38 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:43:39 am »
Well, I'll find out later.  He's not even interested in looking at food or drink now, just lying down upstairs and making very pathetic mewling sounds if you pet him.

He's booked into the vets after lunch, the earliest appointment I could get, so hopefully they'll be able to do something for him.

He seems to be a bit dehydrated, so ending up back on a drip again wouldn't surprise me.

« Reply #39 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:52:17 am »
GWS Talisker :(

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #40 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:15:00 am »
They get dehydrated pretty quickly once they stop eating.

Our Alfie had a similar episode recently and he ended up staying overnight in cat hostipal on a drip. The vet said it was probably just a dodgy mouse/shrew/rabbit.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #41 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:47:25 am »
I've just rushed him into the vets as an emergency, since he became a lot worse very fast.  Earlier on he was a bit inactive, but still wandered around, and complained about not being let out.  When I went upstairs recently, he was completely lethargic.  If I stood him up, he lay straight back down, and didn't make his normal little meow "Hello".  He wasn't even purring much.  I realise purring doesn't necessarily indicate a happy cat, but Talisker will purr at the drop of a hat, not doing it is very unusual.

Anyway, the vets looked at him, and he's clearly dehydrated and needs to go on a drip.  He's lost about 0.3-0.4 kg in weight, his temperature is low, and he seems to have some tenderness in his belly (although not much, since I did a brief check for this sort of thing myself).  The vet is obviously suspicious about Pancreatitis, and is going to do one of the Panreatic Lipase tests (although I forget which one exactly).  Since he had almost identical symptoms in February (only without the low temperature), it could be something re-occurring, so finding out what would be useful.

He should call back later today and give me a status report.

« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:57:44 am »
 :(

Poor mog.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #43 on: 03 August, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »
Hope he's better soon.

« Reply #44 on: 03 August, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »
Fingers crossed.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #45 on: 03 August, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »
Fingers crossed here too. My old one is off colour as well. I normally do the three day test, first day notice it, second day confirm it and if they're not better by the third then away they go.

He wasn't so hot this morning so he's away this afternoon.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #46 on: 03 August, 2010, 01:29:16 pm »
Hope Talisker purrks up soon, Tim.

« Reply #47 on: 03 August, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »
Sorry to hear one of yours is off colour as well longers. :(

Tali's not such a young cat any more, so after I made the initial appointment I was keeping an eye on his condition.

He was reasonably bouncy first thing.  When he heard me moving about, he came upstairs to point out that he still wanted to be let out, but a few hours later and he was just totally wiped out.

He was just lying flat out on the carpet, and didn't even raise his head when I came past, which wasn't a good sign at all.  He'll normally look up and meow a greeting if I pass him, unless he's managed to get into a seriously deep sleep and you silently creep past him. ;D

I reckon the drip will bring him back to normality, or as close as you get to normal for a cat, but I didn't want to leave him several more hours, since he seemed to get so much worse so fast, and it would have been as long again before I took him to his appointment.

It's rather hard to decide how ill they are, although he hasn't really been himself since Sunday, so it's been over 48 hours since he first started showing signs of illness.  Nothing indicated that he was getting better, and in fact the trend was quite the opposite, so it seems appropriate to take him to the vet.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #48 on: 03 August, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »
It's rather hard to decide how ill they are, although he hasn't really been himself since Sunday, so it's been over 48 hours since he first started showing signs of illness.  Nothing indicated that he was getting better, and in fact the trend was quite the opposite, so it seems appropriate to take him to the vet.

It certainly is difficult to work out if they're properly unwell. And you can't go rushing them off to the vet as soon they boak or skip a meal.

Just wondering if there is an (easy) way to re-hydrate moggies other than using a drip?
a great mind thinks alike

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #49 on: 03 August, 2010, 02:30:16 pm »

Just wondering if there is an (easy) way to re-hydrate moggies other than using a drip?

IANAV but IAAD.
I can't think of any practical route once the oral method has failed.
Rectal and peritoneal are more difficult than intravenous, I would have thought.

GWS Talisker!