Author Topic: Snow Roads 05/06/2010  (Read 20013 times)

Re: Snow Roads 05/06/2010
« Reply #25 on: 01 March, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »
This sassenach would like to know what a bridie is please?

More or less, it's a pastie without leaving any space for the veg!
Meat and onions in a pastry!

http://www.scotlands-enchanting-kingdom.com/forfar-bridie.html
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #26 on: 01 March, 2010, 02:33:53 pm »
Don't be put off by the last pic in scych's link.  :hand:

Unlike the ordinary Saddler's or McLaren's Forfar bridie which, for all I know, could be made from minced mouse, you will be served nothing but the finest Cameron's bridies, more like a top quality steak pie in yer haund.  :thumbsup:

And macaroni pies for the veggies, and soup and beer and cake an' a' that.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #27 on: 01 March, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »
Unlike the ordinary Saddler's or McLaren's Forfar bridie which, for all I know, could be made from minced mouse, you will be served nothing but the finest Cameron's bridies, more like a top quality steak pie in yer haund.  :thumbsup:

And macaroni pies for the veggies, and soup and beer and cake an' a' that.

Is it possible to turn up without my bike or gear and stay for the food?  :P

McLaren's bridies are the only real ones out there. Anything else, while it may "taste better" and may possibly even be better for you (containing actual real meat), is a poor substitute! You can't pick your food purely on taste and how healthy it is. Sometimes you should view it as a challenge!  ;D
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #28 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:12:26 pm »
I've come over all wimpy & entered the 100km ride.Anyone got a profile for this:I am contemplating doing it on fixed.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:42:24 pm »

I belive that there's a member of the forum who enjoys the hills so much that he's toying with the idea of doing a "double snow roads" as a DIY 600.  Mental! 

Not quite a double but an anticlockwise/clockwise Snow Roads 600.  When you get to Kirriemuir, you head back in the Braemar direction and have the sleep stop in Braemar.  The second day would be a nice we trip over to Cock Bridge, up the lecht and then over Cairn O Mount backwards.  Who's up for it, I'm game.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

I belive that there's a member of the forum who enjoys the hills so much that he's toying with the idea of doing a "double snow roads" as a DIY 600.  Mental! 

Not quite a double but an anticlockwise/clockwise Snow Roads 600.  When you get to Kirriemuir, you head back in the Braemar direction and have the sleep stop in Braemar.  The second day would be a nice we trip over to Cock Bridge, up the lecht and then over Cairn O Mount backwards.  Who's up for it, I'm game.

On fixed then?

« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »

I'm definitely busy that weekend  :hand:
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »
I'm not meaning as a DIY calendar event - I mean in addtion to the calendar event.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #33 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:09:44 pm »
I'm not meaning as a DIY calendar event - I mean in addtion to the calendar event.

Thanks goodness I am already busy that weekend.

Fair play to you Kev if  you do pull it off.  I simply couldnt imagine finishing the Snow Roads then heading back to Braemar.  Must be going soft.     

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #34 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »
I've come over all wimpy & entered the 100km ride.Anyone got a profile for this:I am contemplating doing it on fixed.
Good for you jogler: the route's on here here. Click on "Show" to get the elevation profile.
No huge climbs, but a few short nippy ones, at about 11k, 37k and in the last 10k before the downhill finish.
Last year's inaugural Potter for Tea saw most of the field ride round inna charabanc stylee, with Noodley acting as bus driver. Café controls at 27k and 59k.  :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #35 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »
:o
Jings, MKev, you'll be needing a few bridies in your saddlebag for the second lap.
If you're serious about this  ???, we'd be happy to provide a "finish control" for you, but you'll have to find your own masseuse.  :P

Rimnod

« Reply #36 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:13:50 pm »
Good for you jogler: the route's on here here. Click on "Show" to get the elevation profile.
No huge climbs, but a few short nippy ones, at about 11k, 37k and in the last 10k before the downhill finish.
Last year's inaugural Potter for Tea saw most of the field ride round inna charabanc stylee, with Noodley acting as bus driver. Café controls at 27k and 59k.  :thumbsup:

I think I will be signing on for the P4T.  May be able to hang for a bit longer on 'that' lump at the end.  My first and most enjoyable Audax to date. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #37 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:16:18 pm »
Actually, I have an admission to make.My fixed has 2 gears:68" & 24".I sometimes use the latter for uphills ;)

« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »

I wouldn’t like to put thoughts into your head, Kevin, but how about tacking the Snow Roads 300k onto the Kingdom Come 400k...?  It would be a nice wee DIY 700k with, if I understand the rules, the benefit of a lower minimum speed than a 600k.   In short, all the pleasures of a double Snow Roads (multiple visits to Kirriemuir), but with the added bonus of a jaunt down to Crossgates.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:11:49 pm »
The Snow Roads is a brill audax . So good I nearly did it twice. Excellent Scottish scenery and hills yes there are a few .
Some nutters will do it in just over 13 hours ---- Me 17 ,  last year on recumbent with long beer stop at Glenshee Chairlift , same time as Tayside Transgresion 300 years ago.
 Cant wait and Bring on that 700 Kev sounds good Idea???

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:40:16 pm »

I wouldn’t like to put thoughts into your head, Kevin, but how about tacking the Snow Roads 300k onto the Kingdom Come 400k...?  It would be a nice wee DIY 700k with, if I understand the rules, the benefit of a lower minimum speed than a 600k.   In short, all the pleasures of a double Snow Roads (multiple visits to Kirriemuir), but with the added bonus of a jaunt down to Crossgates.

But what about the AAA points - 2 x Snow Roads = twice the pain.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »
Wasn't there talk at some point of somehow combining the Snow Roads with Tayside Transgression?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #42 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:31:16 am »
Just posted my entry off this morning, but I'd be happy to pay a bit extra for the hall on the night before.
:thumbsup:
Good news, sportsfans: we've managed to book the hall from 7pm on the Friday night, so you can doss there before and after the event - no need for campsites, bus shelters, caves etc, unless you really want to.

We've still to work out the detail but we would aim to supply a simple carbo-rich supper on Friday night, bridies and soup etc on Saturday, and a basic cereal 'n' toast breakfast both mornings.

It's quite expensive for the overnight hire of the hall, so we will need to make an extra charge for DB&B - guessing about £10-£12 to cover both nights. Does that sound reasonable?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #43 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:50:35 am »
Fifth of June? I may well be up for the 100 then. I'll ride out in the am and back afterwards. (You can't just go past Carrot hill without going up..)

*Puts date in diary*

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #44 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:04:47 am »
It's quite expensive for the overnight hire of the hall, so we will need to make an extra charge for DB&B - guessing about £10-£12 to cover both nights. Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, very reasonable, for those of us traveling a long way this makes a huge difference, thank you. If I can sort the final problem out with logistics, I'll be there, I really hope I can make this.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #45 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:29:41 am »
, so we will need to make an extra charge for DB&B - guessing about £10-£12 to cover both nights. Does that sound reasonable?

I think that's very reasonable & would wish to take advantage of such an arrangement.
I have posted my entry form & cheque as of yesterday so when you have decided on the addaitional £ I will send another cheque.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #46 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:05:35 am »

I belive that there's a member of the forum who enjoys the hills so much that he's toying with the idea of doing a "double snow roads" as a DIY 600.  Mental!  

Not quite a double but an anticlockwise/clockwise Snow Roads 600.  When you get to Kirriemuir, you head back in the Braemar direction and have the sleep stop in Braemar.  The second day would be a nice we trip over to Cock Bridge, up the lecht and then over Cairn O Mount backwards.  Who's up for it, I'm game.

I'm tempted - having been foolish enought to enter the Mille Cymru I will need this sort of training. I had been contemplating 2x300 Snow Roads on consecutive days but this would be a better challenge. I'm going to be trying a 2 x Wildcat Grimpeur as soon as the roads clear (April?). If anyone fancies that as part of a 400 I could be tempted.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #47 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:11:17 am »
I have posted my entry form & cheque as of yesterday so when you have decided on the addaitional £ I will send another cheque.
jogler, and others, there's no need to book, or pay, just yet.
I'll send something out with the routesheets, once people have sent their entry forms , asking who wants overnight accommodation, just pay on the day. It's a big hall, so there's plenty of room. 

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #48 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:32:19 pm »
Wasn't there talk at some point of somehow combining the Snow Roads with Tayside Transgression?

That was, I suspect, some thinking out loud from me.  Continues to strike me as a natural way to extend the Snow Roads route whilst also taking in some other excellent roads.  Although the TT bit wouldn't be the same without McNasty cooking my supper on the stove of a ramshackle cycling hut tucked away behind Lochearnhead...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #49 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:38:56 pm »
Forfar bridie

iirc, the village shop in Fettercairn stocks a nice bridie.  Was my breakfast when I did the perm version of the ride in 2006.

I must get round to doing this ride again next time I'm up in Tayside.