Author Topic: Audax "Givens"  (Read 17665 times)

Martin

Re: Audax "Givens"
« Reply #125 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:07:14 pm »
it will always rain on any ride which does that stonkingly beautiful bit through the Forest of Dean

red marley

« Reply #126 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »
Reminded of this today after early season audaxing in cold wind.

You will inevitably feel the need for expulsion of nasal effluvia when riding into the wind. After blocking one nostril and blowing out through the other, you imagine you have left a neat snot-bullet on the ground behind you. The reality is that you have a shoulder covered in the stuff and a facial decoration somewhat reminiscent of this.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #127 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »
When uncertain which road to take at a junction, it's always the one going most steeply uphill.

This isn't Audax or even cycling specific.  I successfully used this method to find my way around Bristol as a student.
Jeez, is there anyone on this forum who has not, at some time in their life, been a student in Bristol? Anyway, in Bristol everywhere is at the top of a steep hill. Except for Cabot Tower, obviously.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #128 on: 14 March, 2010, 01:09:01 am »
Jeez, is there anyone on this forum who has not, at some time in their life, been a student in Bristol?
Yes. I'm pretty sure I have never been in Bristol.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #129 on: 14 March, 2010, 08:27:17 am »
I have

« Reply #130 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:10:58 am »
Jeez, is there anyone on this forum who has not, at some time in their life, been a student in Bristol?

VeloYellow's PhD is from Bristol

And his daughter was born there
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #131 on: 14 March, 2010, 01:36:10 pm »
More and more are coming out of the woodwork ether!  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #132 on: 14 March, 2010, 10:04:17 pm »
Back to audax givens...

That person who overtakes you just before the top of the climb is a timid descender and you will be trapped behind them all the way down the other side, thanks to lack of suitable passing places. By the time you reach the bottom, you will have no brake blocks left.

Mind you, I'm sure they also curse me for being such a slow climber.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #133 on: 14 March, 2010, 10:05:37 pm »
Back to audax givens...

That person who overtakes you just before the top of the climb is a timid descender and you will be trapped behind them all the way down the other side, thanks to lack of suitable passing places. By the time you reach the bottom, you will have no brake blocks left.

Mind you, I'm sure they also curse me for being such a slow climber.  ;D

d.

It's why they try to be at the top first, so you can't drop them on the descent.

« Reply #134 on: 15 March, 2010, 01:33:50 pm »
Reminded of this today after early season audaxing in cold wind.

You will inevitably feel the need for expulsion of nasal effluvia when riding into the wind. After blocking one nostril and blowing out through the other, you imagine you have left a neat snot-bullet on the ground behind you. The reality is that you have a shoulder covered in the stuff and a facial decoration somewhat reminiscent of this.

This is what I refer to as the slobbery dog look. Boy it's attractive.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #135 on: 15 March, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »
If you set out to do a faster time on <insert ride name> you did four years ago, riding a bike you pulled out of the council tip as opposed to your new more expensive steed,  then prepare yourself for disappointment.

H

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #136 on: 15 March, 2010, 09:30:49 pm »
If you set out to do a faster time on <insert ride name> you did four years ago, riding a bike you pulled out of the council tip as opposed to your new more expensive steed,  then prepare yourself for disappointment.

H

But your new, more expensive personalised hand built carbon fibre steed will not make you any faster because you drank too much beer and ate too many chips over the winter months while it was being built.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #137 on: 15 March, 2010, 10:17:55 pm »
Yes. Never studied anything except the flavour of beer there. But I did share a bed with a former Bristol student for a few years. Does that count?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #138 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:06:45 am »
The info is a lie.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #139 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:30:56 am »
The info is a lie.

If it's there at all.