Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 108546 times)

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1025 on: April 28, 2019, 11:41:48 pm »
Earthed up the potatoes for the first time this season

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1026 on: May 25, 2019, 09:08:36 pm »
Potted on 45 sweet corn, and a dozen each of “Big Daddy” and “Gardeners Delight” tomatoes, plus a couple of a tumbling variety, all to the backdrop of bluetits in our nesting box. Plus re-trained the “Creme de la Creme” rose on our arch.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1027 on: June 09, 2019, 04:20:33 pm »
Planted out the sweetcorn, and inter-planted climbing French beans, so hopefully the sweetcorn stalks will provide support for the beans. I’ve done it successfully with borlotti beans in the past so it should work.

Side-shooter the Big Daddy tomatoes, and put the tumbling ones into a raised tray on the potion.

Cut the grass.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1028 on: June 29, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »
Mostly keeping the weeds down.

in the greenhouse both tomatoes and cucumbers doing well, setting flowers and producing embryos, chillis adn peppers poised to spring into growth I'm sure

Outside all going well.  Embryo courgettes apearing, leafy green stuff going well, including the seakale thongs that I was worried about.  Sucession sowings of lettuces/greens. Netted the soft fruit and the brassicas.  Had half a bowl of early blackcurrants the other day - superb.  Started cropping the lettuces as cut and come again
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1029 on: July 05, 2019, 04:00:11 pm »
David has just brought around 5kg of potatoes in from the garden; that's about two months' supply and our fridge is full of Other Foods...

This abode has no cool storage areas and it's HOT in Londonton right now.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #1030 on: August 17, 2019, 08:30:22 pm »
Four hours at the plots today (including time spent hiding from severe downpours). The main veg plot is looking like a jungle, and I'm convinced I could see the grass growing before my eyes after the rain.
I snaffled just about the last of the wood chippings to put another layer on the main path to ease Mrs M's passage - the supply of chippings at our site is very spasmodic, so it's a case of 'get as much as you can, when you can'.
Picked a bag full of potatoes, three decent cauliflowers, a cabbage, a few carrots (some of them had split - presumably the dry/wet/dry this year hasn't helped), and .... more bloody courgettes. Raspberries are starting again - that's good! Good neighbour gave us a couple of cucumbers. Mrs M brought loads of Gladioli, and dahlias home to brighten up the place.
I had a feel of the sweet corn, but decided to leave it for another week before I pulled the first one. The apples and pears are looking very good, but no where near ready - and of course, the squirrels have had all the hazel nuts.
Lots of hoeing, and weed pulling - I've culled a lot of the borage that's been invading the main path, the trouble is now, that there's borage seedlings springing up everywhere.
Absolutely kkkknakkered!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.