Author Topic: Norwich 100/50  (Read 6591 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Norwich 100/50
« on: 21 May, 2008, 01:50:51 pm »
Anyone doing the Norwich charity ride this year ?  ( 08th June )

Re: Norwich 100/50
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »
I was up for the 100 but a (non cyclist) workmate is going for the 50 (on the basis that he wouldnt be able to handle 100miles) I might do the 50 just to keep him company.

annie

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:07:20 pm »
There might be a possibility.

Have a ride the previous weekend so will have a look tonight.

Marmite sandwiches at the ready. :)

RogerT

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:10:49 pm »
There might be a possibility.

Have a ride the previous weekend so will have a look tonight.

Marmite sandwiches at the ready. :)

You bring the sarnies, I will bring lots of additional padding for the "sensitive" areas  :demon: :demon:

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »
Don't forget to sacrifice a small mammal to the weather gods to try and get rid of this f*$%ing NE wind that's been blowing for weeks and weeks now - otherwise it'll be a real grovel over the exposed flatlands to Waxham  :hand:.

I don't think I'll be doing it this year. I enjoy it though - for one simple reason. It attracts once-a-year chubbies out on rusty mountain bikes, and you get to power past them in a seemingly effortless manner. I'm pretty much used to this happening to me on randonnees, so it's nice for the SPD to be on the other foot for a change.

Oh - and it encourages me to bung a cheque to BHF, which is no bad thing.

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:30:17 pm »
Don't forget to sacrifice a small mammal to the weather gods to try and get rid of this f*$%ing NE wind that's been blowing for weeks and weeks now - otherwise it'll be a real grovel over the exposed flatlands to Waxham  :hand:.

No! No! No! I need that NE wind next Wednesday/Thursday to push me down to Cornwall!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

RogerT

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:38:16 pm »

I don't think I'll be doing it this year. I enjoy it though - for one simple reason. It attracts once-a-year chubbies out on rusty mountain bikes, and you get to power past them in a seemingly effortless manner. I'm pretty much used to this happening to me on randonnees, so it's nice for the SPD to be on the other foot for a change.

Oh - and it encourages me to bung a cheque to BHF, which is no bad thing.

If the BHF website is to be believed, it is a new route, and a NE wind would be very benificial for the return  :thumbsup:

Agree with sentiments re Chubbies, only time I EVER look fast on a bike  8)

annie

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2008, 05:02:07 pm »
There was a nasty wind today that insisted on pushing me backwards, in vain I pedalled but didn't go very fast, well at least I don't think I did.  Next time I am doing that journey on fixed.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:27:47 pm »
I was thinking about doing these rides, but Mr R and I have received a royal summons to my niece's birthday party that weekend...  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

annie

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:53:13 pm »
Just spoken to some of the guys from the local club, they are riding, I told them to wave as they went past and that I would be the one with the big bag on the back and munching marmite sandwiches.

RogerT

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:14:39 am »
Just spoken to some of the guys from the local club, they are riding, I told them to wave as they went past and that I would be the one with the big bag on the back and munching marmite sandwiches.

8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:26:57 am »

8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also told them to put the kettle on, they are likely to be back first of course.  Well back first, home and showered.  They were fascinated when I described some of our social rides and the FUN factor.   ;)

annie

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:45:38 pm »
Crikey, forgot to enter this, is it too late?

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:39:09 am »
It was my first 100 miler; enjoyed it a lot. In those days of course you weren't held to ransom by the BHF for it it was orgnaised by C+ and was cherridy free; didn't stop Norwich Cathedral sending out begging letters for their steeple with the rider packs  >:(

RogerT

« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:42:26 am »
Crikey, forgot to enter this, is it too late?

You can enter on the day ( Or least you could in the past ) .. Be advised that it is an early start for the 100.  My Start time is 07.20.  :( :(

Check it out at..

Bike Events Online

annie

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
Entered online.  Spoke to the organisers.  I will be there by 7am, my start time will be between 7 and 8.  I intend doing the 100 but if my knee decides to give up the ghost I shall just do the 50.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:37:20 pm »
I'm doing this with my bro' again.

look out for a middle aged overweight bloke on a white Pinarello (you'll recognise me easily  as I'll be going really slowly on the uphill bits - you'll all see me on the bit going up to Fellbigg, oh yes ::-) :-[) and a less overweight, less middle aged bloke on a black Willier who (hopefully) will be waiting for me at the top of each Norfolk Alp.

Quite looking forward to getting the bumpy bit out of the way first since we appear to be going t'other way round this year.

As mentioned earlier in this thread hopefully I'll still have the legs to blast past those "less frequent cyclists" on heavier metal in the bit from Rackheath to Mousehold.  :demon:

Fingers crossed, weather looks good at the moment and maybe just for once Bacton will be a few degrees above absolute zero.  ;D

(I think we are off at 7.10 BTW)
Books are for tourists...

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:18:59 pm »
If it's at all cold first thing, don't worry - you'll be nicely warmed up by the time you get to the top of the climb at Mousehold Heath. I used to toboggan there in the winter when I were a lad...  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
If it's at all cold first thing, don't worry - you'll be nicely warmed up by the time you get to the top of the climb at Mousehold Heath. I used to toboggan there in the winter when I were a lad...  :thumbsup:
:-\

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:35:04 pm »
Taking the Pomp annie? I did last year - it's a nice ride for fixed.

annie

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:28:46 am »
Taking the Pomp annie? I did last year - it's a nice ride for fixed.

It will be the Sunday.  The Pomp needs smaller bars as I have a problem using the rear brake, guess the rear brake might be important if I need to stop.  I think it's first outing in public ought to be with a smaller gathering?

It is still raining here, all night long, what is it like in Norfolk?

RogerT

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2008, 09:03:15 am »
Mousehold heath..Norwichs' answer to the Alpe De Huez...with an American Diner half way up if you feel feint.

However, looks like we are only going down it this year as the route is reversed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to see fellow Yacfers en route.

Domestique

« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »
I would like to do this ride one year. Tomorrow we have the Orchard ride in Billericay to do though

annie

« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:41:56 pm »
After the usual pre ride sleep of approximately 2 hours I forced down my breakfast, the dogs were fed at stupid o'clock and I headed out of the door at some unearthly hour, collected a good friend and headed off to Norwich.  Parking was easy peasy at silly o'clock, bikes unloaded and off to the start.  A spectacle to behold of riders of all ages, bikes of all styles, colours and sizes.  I spotted 3 tandems and two bents.  I chatted with one grandmother after the event who said that she had watched her son and daughter in law set off on the 100 last year and had muttered about riding the 50 herself.  She accomplished that and was immensely proud of herself, hearing stories such as those warms the heart and makes the world seem a nicer place.  Whilst walking back to the car after the event an elderly lady said she always came to watch the event but was too late today, she also mentioned that the last time she had ridden a bike she had come off and then watched her cabbage roll down the road.

Anyway, it was a fairly cloudy start but the sun soon shone and provided me with a constant flow of perspiration under my thermal bib longs, yes I know I was silly but earlier on it had seemed to be a bit chilly, I believe I was the only person out of 2000 in bib longs :-\

I set off too fast with a group of guys and kept a good pace for several miles, at around 20-25 miles my legs started to feel as though I was pulling a trailer with a couple of kids on board, so I slowed down and tried my hardest to pace myself.  I realised that having the computer now set at kms instead of mph was a mistake, as was wearing thermal bib longs, I think I already mentioned that earlier.

I was amazed at the number of people swerving all over the road or simply pulling out from the side of the road, without a care in the world.  One guy sat on my wheel for several miles,  I slowed down to chat to him and explained some of the rules for riding in a group, he was riding all over the road and I could hear a fast group coming up behind.  He told me that he desperately tried to stick with one of the fast groups earlier on but he hadn't been able to keep up, he also told me that he didn't like to be slower than a woman.  I stopped at the side of the road for a banana, we chatted for a minute or two and he shot off, never to return the favour of a wheel.  The wind on the way out was pretty draining and I felt quite vulnerable cycling alone.  I decided to do the 50 miles instead of the 100 in the end and to get back and enjoy the afternoon outside the cathedral, watching the world go by.  I seemed to find my legs again at about 32 miles, just warming up I suppose, each time I turned around some other guy would be on my wheel, no one was in front, one of the guys said 'hope you don't mind but this is a good pace and I am quite comfortable behind you', about 4 miles from the end he shot off and never returned the favour either.

I was pleased to finish, 3.23 minutes, probably a little too fast but good training.  My friend who was riding the 100 clocked around 6 hours, chapeau to him and his team.

I realise I wasn't the fastest but many riders were still coming in several hours after I had finished, some jumping and clapping having realised it was their longest ride to date.

I offered imaginary G & T's to several riders, some smiled, others frowned, as usual I never lost my sense of humour.  I didn't observe one other Carradice bag :o  One of the smiliest moments was watching a lady from the Norwich Cycling Campaign finish the ride on her Brompton, dressed in a woolly pully with pink and white diamonds and a big smile on her face.

I had a thoroughly splendid day despite riding alone for the most part, I only sang once or twice and my sit bones are intact, that has to be a miracle.

No marmite sandwiches were harmed during the ride, nor were they eaten, probably because I forgot to make any.

:)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:03:36 pm »
Well done Annie! 3h 23m for 50 miles sounds pretty fast to me.

In the dim and distant past, when I was a younger, leaner Wowbagger with some, nay, lots of colour in my beard, I did 100 miles in just under 8 hours, including stops. That day I probably managed 50 in less than 3 h 30 riding time, but that may well be the only time in my life that I have.

Keep those sit-bones fettled for next Sunday and the Friday after...  :)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.